IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CONCEPT OF ADULTERY IN ISLAM AND ITS PUNISHMENT  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CONCEPT OF ADULTERY IN ISLAM AND ITS PUNISHMENT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth_light24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CONCEPT OF ADULTERY IN ISLAM AND ITS PUNISHMENT
    Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:04am

"Do not go near to adultery. Surely it is a shameful deed and evil, opening roads (to other evils)" (Quran 17:32).

"Say, 'Verily, my Lord has prohibited the shameful deeds, be it open or secret, sins and trespasses against the truth and reason"' ( Quran 7:33).

"Women impure are for men impure, and men impure are for women impure and women of purity are for men of purity, and men of purity are for women of purity." (Quran 24:26)

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity, and God is well acquainted with all they do. And say to the believing woman that they should lower their gaze, and guard their modesty." (Quran 24:30-3 1)

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) has said in many places that adultery is one of the three major sins. However, the most interesting story is that of a young man who went to the Prophet. This man asked for permission to fornicate because he could not control himself. The Prophet dealt with him with reasoning and asked him if he would approve of someone else having illegal sex with his mother, sister, daughter, or wife. Each time the man said 'no'. Then the Prophet replied that the woman with whom you plan to have sex is also somebody's mother, sister, daughter, or wife. The man understood and repented. The Prophet(pbuh) prayed for his forgiveness.

Hadith reported by Ibn Mas�ood, (RA), stating that a man came to the Prophet(pbuh) and said: �O Messenger of Allah, I sported with a woman in the outskirts of Madina . . . [and] committed an offence, short of fornication (kissing, necking, petting..etc). . . . Kindly deliver verdict on me.� `Umar(RA) said to him: �Allah concealed your fault. You had better conceal it yourself also.� The Prophet(pbuh) gave no reply to him, so the man stood up and went away. Thereupon the Prophet(pbuh) sent a person after him to call on him and recite to him: �And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful.� (Hud 11:115) Following this, the Prophet(pbuh) dismissed the man, telling him: �Allah has exempted you from the imposition of Hadd, or from your sin.� Someone who was present at the time asked the Prophet(pbuh) whether such clemency related only to that individual. �No, but for the people at large,� the Prophet(pbuh) said reassuring all believers. (Reported by Muslim, At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawood.)�

This does not mean that other behaviors such as kissing, hugging, caressing, heavy petting, etc. are not prohibited, but the requirements needed to justify a harsh punishment of adultery are strict. They are not considered major adultery (hadd punishment), but they fit into the category of minor adultery which is also prohibited. Obviously, couples can engage in all these activities without being exposed to witnesses and thus avoid punishment in this life. But they still must answer to Allah, the Almighty, who, in no uncertain terms, admonishes against any sexual contact outside of marriage.

Adultery is a crime not against one person but against the whole of society. It is a violation of a marital contract. 50% of all first time marriages in the USA result in divorce within two years and the main reason for divorce are the adultery of one of the partners. Adultery, which includes both pre-marital and extra marital sex, is an epidemic in this society. Nobody seems to listen to the Bible ( in Christian place), which says frequently, "Thou shall not commit adultery." The Quranic approach is, "Do not approach adultery."

PUNISHMENT OF ADULTERY

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (pbuh), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it.

The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stoned Maa�iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (pbuh).

Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn �Abbaas (RA) that �Umar (RA) said: �Allah sent Muhammad (pbuh) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: �By Allah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allah.� So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allah has revealed.

According to the Book of Allah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess�� 

Based on this, it is not permissible to replace stoning with killing by the sword or shooting, because stoning is a more severe punishment and a more effective deterrent to the sin of zina, which is the most grave sin after shirk and killing a soul whom Allah has forbidden us to kill. The hadd punishment of stoning for a married person who commits zina is one of the matters that is determined by the Qur�aan and Sunnah and there is no room for ijtihaad or personal opinion. If killing by the sword or shooting were permissible in the case of the married adulterer then the Prophet (pbuh) would have done that and would have explained it to his ummah, and his companions after him would have done that too. 

"The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by All�h, if you believe in All�h and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. (This punishment is for unmarried persons guilty of the above crime but if married persons commit it, the punishment is to stone them to death, according to All�h's Law)." (Quran 24:2)

And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin. Quran33:59
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:41am
Adultry can also be an affair of the heart with nothing physical.  The internet has opened up many ways to fall into this sin.

At times the affair of the heart can be much more hurtful.  Love is involved instead of just a physical desire.

I live where a group of neighbors of opposite sex can hug each other as friends, congratulating, consuling, without any raised eyebrows because the thought of sex with the person is not there.  Just brotherly love.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

I live where a group of neighbors of opposite sex can hug each other as friends, congratulating, consuling, without any raised eyebrows because the thought of sex with the person is not there.  Just brotherly love.

I'll take you at your word with respect to your own thoughts, but how can you be certain about the thoughts and inner feelings of others?  You may hug your neighbor's wife while congratulating, consoling or in a friendly gesture without sexual tension, however her true sentiments are unknown, that is, not know to you.
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:01pm
That could be true of two men or women as well.  You don't know their orientation and these days they could be as interested in the opposite gender as the same.  Nothing is more embarrassing than when you find out your long time friend has no interest in the opposite sex and you can't know if all your innocent hugs were just that or if they were thinking of something else.  I try to avoid hugging anyone that isn't a family member these days.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:34pm

As I don't get any hugs from anyone ,other than my youngest son when he comes to stay, a 'cyber hug' would be much appreciated.

As you get older, you can differentiate between friendly hugs and sexual ones. Must be really nice if you have loads of family members. At least you have a choice whether to hug or not.

So, I'm looking forward to these 'cyber hugs' please. Smile 
(I speak for all those that are in similar situations) Many thanks
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:55pm
As I only have one family member within 600 miles of me, Martha, I completely understand what you are saying.  I wish you lots of hugs.

Edited by Salams_wife - 26 May 2008 at 12:55pm
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 1:22pm
Thanks Salams_wife.

Keep them coming please, I'm starting to feel betterSmile
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Truth_light24 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth_light24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:58pm

Ibn �Abbas narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said:

�Allah has written for Adam�s son (mankind) his share of zina (adultery and fornication), which he commits inevitably. The zina of the eyes is the sight (to gaze at a forbidden thing), the zina of the tongue is the talk, and the inner-self wishes and desires and the private parts testify all this or deny.�

These are forbidden because they eventually might lead to sexual intercourse, and they are forbidden as a preventive issue,
because these actions may lead him to commit true zina. Bear in mind that Shaytan is always watching us, ready to jump on every opportunity presented to him, for him to influence humans and lead them to sinful act. The Prophet said, when a man and a woman were talking in private, their third party is Shaytan....Shaytan can whisper in our hearts to entice us to do bad deeds by presenting less obvious sin, Shaytan always attacks in the most insignificant aspects in our affairs.

Allah (swt) in the Nobel Qur�an said:

Nor come near to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils). (Quran 17:32)

And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a glaring sin. Quran33:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic