IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam
    Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:48pm
Hi,

Just a quick question:
- Can someone explain from the theological point of view of Islamic teachings why the Sabbath is not respected by Muslims?

Respectfully,
Alex

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:57pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Becouse Allah changed it to a Friday and there was no specific command to keep this jewish tradition. you may have to look up the original reason why Allah chose friday specifically as our holy day to get a better understanding, i dont have that information maybe one of the other forum members knows.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
robin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 2:45pm

Originally posted by SilverArrow SilverArrow wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question:
- Can someone explain from the theological point of view of Islamic teachings why the Sabbath is not respected by Muslims?

Respectfully,
Alex

Sabbath observance is not for Christians!

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:44pm
Asalaamu alaikum,
I believe you can find some of the sources for this in haditha and sunnah:

Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Jews and Christians do not dye their hair so you should do the opposite of what they do."

Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "We are the last (to come) but we will be the foremost on the Day of Resurrection, nations were given the Book (i.e.Scripture) before us, and we were given the Holy Book after them. This(i.e. Friday) is the day about which they differed. So the next day (i.e. Saturday) was prescribed for the Jews and the day after it (i.e.Sunday) for the Christians. It is incumbent on every Muslim to wash his head and body on a Day (i.e. Friday) (at least) in every seven days."

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by SilverArrow SilverArrow wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question:

Respectfully,
Alex

Alex,
a very good and valid question, we are still waiting for the experts to pitch-in. Meanwhile I, as a Muslim will say this:
I am not aware that there is any day in Islam that is designated as rest day from physical work, activity, cooking food etc, like Shabbat or Sabbath is.
In Quran I have not come accross any such command that asks us to oberve Sabbath or any other day as such. 
It is mentioned about its observance by the people of the book:
16:124 The sabbath was only made (strict) for those who disagreed (as to its observance); But Allah will judge between them on the Day of Judgment, as to their differences.
And also of those who did not respected it then:
4:47 O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the sabbath-breakers, for the decision of Allah Must be carried out"

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 26 May 2008 at 5:00pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

SilverArrow View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 5:20pm
Hi,

I asked this question with the idea in my mind that if the Qur'an is the last message from God which corrects and validates previous scriptures it should also enforce the Sabbath in my view and other Jewish or Christian religious holidays as per God's recommendation in these scriptures.

This is also one of my preoccupations with the universality of the message of the Holy Scriptures, whether Judaic or Christian. The Jesus's message and the Evangile itself was first addressed to the lost sheep of Israel and consequently addressed also to the world by apostles.
While the Torah, as preached in  Judaism is simply a Jewish matter, of their nation, etc.

I read some books on this subject from Jewish religious literature and it's said the following:
- The gentiles are not obliged to observe the Sabbath since is a given by God to Jewish people, but the gentiles can observe the Noahide (Noah) Laws which are composed of 7 important commandments.

The thing which comes out of this logic is that if the world was created by God in 6 days (ages, era, etc) and He rested in the 7 day then this day should be respected also by everyone regardless of his religious affiliation.
To me to say, that the Sabbath was given to Jewish people only doesn't make sense in the context of the creation itself. Is like assuming that God created the world only for Jewish people and not for all the people of earth.

In this general context described above I am trying to find out what is the Islamic point of view on this issue.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:11pm
I came across this by accident. Thought it was interesting and seemingly plausible. http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Jews-and-Muslims-Agree/jewishsabbath-islamsabbath.htm
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:13pm
SilverArrow,

We believe that Sabbath(saturday) was just a day God chose for Israelites and we are not aware if it has any relation with creation. We do not trust passage of bible which says God rested on 7th day.
In fact Quran denies this claim.

50:38 We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.

Edited by abuzaid - 26 May 2008 at 10:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic