IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why the Sabbath is not respected in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:13am
Wink

Edited by mariyah - 27 May 2008 at 8:15am
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Theophilus View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theophilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 6:24pm

I am already 60 years old but just newly embraced ISLAM (after three years of self-study and interacting with good people in the internet) Honestly, i am on the 7th time in reading the Noble Quran with The Holy Bible in my side (for comparison purposes). I have not read any verse in Noble Quran that I can CONSIDER specifically disrespecting Sabbath instead I came across verses in Quran that abhored Sabbath breakers. (If I happened slipped some of the verses that indicates disrespecting Sabbath in Noble Quran, please do tell me where to find those in Noble Quran. I wanted to read it, study it in thew glory of GOD whosent Jesus and Muhammad).

PHILOWink
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by SilverArrow SilverArrow wrote:

Hi,

I asked this question with the idea in my mind that if the Qur'an is the last message from God which corrects and validates previous scriptures it should also enforce the Sabbath in my view and other Jewish or Christian religious holidays as per God's recommendation in these scriptures.

I read some books on this subject from Jewish religious literature and it's said the following:
- The gentiles are not obliged to observe the Sabbath since is a given by God to Jewish people, but the gentiles can observe the Noahide (Noah) Laws which are composed of 7 important commandments.

The thing which comes out of this logic is that if the world was created by God in 6 days (ages, era, etc) and He rested in the 7 day then this day should be respected also by everyone regardless of his religious affiliation.
To me to say, that the Sabbath was given to Jewish people only doesn't make sense in the context of the creation itself. Is like assuming that God created the world only for Jewish people and not for all the people of earth.

In this general context described above I am trying to find out what is the Islamic point of view on this issue.

Interesting question. I myself never thought about it before,  . . . Cz well, its a jewish tradition. Heres why I think muslims dont follow Sabbath:

1. First of all, the concept behind Sabbath itself is against Islamic beliefs i.e. God made the world in 6 days and on the 7th He "rested". Muslims have a completely different concept of God, that He is unique, and does not have limitations. The fact that according to Judaism, God needed to "rest" on the 7th day goes against the "divine" , immortal concept of God. God is beyond human limitations and does not need to rest. Something He states in the Quran explicitly in Surah Baqarah (Chapter of the Cow) Verse 255 - "No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep" .. and later,  "He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them (heavens & the earth), For He is the Most High. "
As for ppl who may say that term "rested on the 7th day" is not used literally etc etc . . .Well, the MAJORITY of Christians and Jews take in the literal sense, which is why Jews are supposed to take the Sabbath day off as well. If it wasnt used literally, Jews wouldnt be taking the day off on Saturday and replicate the "rest", that God supposedly took. If "God" is resting, or needs to rest, than this particular being is not God. (This to me seems like a pagan concept of God, associating human-limitations to God, which I believe probably got mixed up somewhere down the road with Jewish beliefs)

2. Though Muslims believe in a lot of aspects of Judaism & Christian beliefs, (since we believe that Islam is a continual of these scriptures) . . . we also believe that the scriptures were later polluted by the followers and are no longer in the original form. Hence we dont believe in ALL the rulings of Judaism. There are a lot of practises from original Judaism that Islam continued, an example being circumcision, beards for men, hijab for women etc etc. Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there.

3. Islam is a very practical and people-friendly religion. All its commandments are practical, easy and not hard on its followers. Though Islam too has aspects which require self-control, patience etc , they are reasonable and practical and are reasonalbly spaced. The only aspect of Islam that I can think of which require any self-control, patience or out-of-ordinary acts are Fasting and Hajj the Pilgrimage. But even then, Fasting is only for a couple of hours , for one month ONCE each yr. And the Pilgrimage is only for ONCE in a LIFETIME. And that too, only if the muslim meets the ability criteria. Numerous times thr Prophet was quoted telling the Muslims not be hard on themselves, etc.
          And Sabbath is clearly impractical and unreasonable. Every WEEK for a DAY, a person is asked not to perform daily, neccessary acts. They cannot light fires, switch on lights, use transport, perform paid labour etc etc. A lot of problems can arise from this. Especially in todays day and age (which stresses how Judaism is niether universal NOR timeless) And that doesnt even achieve any purpose, ppl simply turn on thier lights before Sabbath begins, pre-cook etc. So its not like they are actually learning any lesson in selfcontrol or good. The only good is that they are supposed to spend some spiritual time.
     The Prophet once said (in my own words) that Allah made Islam easy on its believers.

As for you commenting on the Jewish take on Sabbath, that only Jewish ppl shd observe sabbath, i completely agree with you there. If God created the world for evryone, then why is sabbath only for Jews??? Which brings me to the problem I have with Judaism , that it is an elitist, racist and non-universal religion.

I think Im gonna look up actual Islamic injunctions on Sabbath . . . Those were just my personal opinions.

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by abuzaid abuzaid wrote:

SilverArrow,
50:38 We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.

Greetings,

I must point out here the word 'us'.
If the qur'an is the word that comes from the Creator, then how can the plurality of the Creator be denied?

asalaam and blessings,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 7:32pm
Dear Caringheart, Peace be with you...

Due to your question is long enough yet to be answered by Abuzaid, I will try to explain the word "Us" in such verse as follows:

The verse is correct using the word "Us", the same as other verses such as 15:9.
What is meant to 50:38, it doesn't mean that God is a lot or plural, but explains that when God created the universe the angels also getting involved, therefore, the word "Us" (nahnu) here means God and the angels.
Then, like the word "Us" (nahnu) in 15:9, it explains that the authenticity of the words of God in the Quran maintained by God, angels, and those who memorized the Quran.

In contrast to 20:14, this verse uses the word "I" (anaa), which indicates that there's no God but He, so angels and humans do not included as God.

Regards,
Asep
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 10:32am
Psalm 82 is one occurrence of God expressed as elohim (plural) and it does seem that the one God chooses to work through a divine council of angels and other lesser supernatural beings.

As Islam respects the Zabur, I note this in support of asep48's hypothesis.

Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Wink

mariyah... I love that name.  Smile
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 11:04am
I was brought to this thread today and feel I must comment on 2 things.
Chrysallis wrote:
"Judaism and Islam are more alike than any religion out there."
I agree, which is what makes it so hard for me to comprehend when muslims and Jews do not get along as brothers and sisters.
They are family after all.
One must examine why, and where, the animosity begins.
As far as I am aware the Jews never bore any ill will towards anyone... just kept to themselves.

"the problem I have with Judaism , that it is an elitist, racist and non-universal religion."
From my vantage point, this statement could be applied to muslims.
As you say, Judaism and islam, not so different.
Is this why they are in so much conflict with one another?
Each thinks they are superior?

Yshwe (Christ) teaches humility..."always think of yourself as less, not greater'...
'he who is least will inherit the throne of heaven'

Matthew, chapter 23
Luke, chapter 9
Mark, chapter 10
Luke, chapter16

asalaam and blessings.

Edited by Caringheart - 20 October 2016 at 11:06am
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic