IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - From where did the trinity teaching come?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From where did the trinity teaching come?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Dear AgnesDei,
If I am not mistaken you are a Cahtolic? and I have a question for you and that is regarding Mary (may God be well pleased with her). In Catholism she is called "Mother of God". (may God forgive such blasphemy they utter in ignorence)
Why is she not included along "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost" even though she is regarded and said to be "Mother of the Lord" or "Mother of God"?? God the Father is included in Godhead, why is one who is regarded as Mother of God is excluded??
I would like to know your personal view and understanding on that issue besides you Church's.
May God guide those who are misguided, Ameen.
Hasan

Hi Hasan, before there was anything created, what existed other than God?

Dear Doug,
let AgnesDei answer the question or if you have an answer to what is being asked write it. As far as your question it is irrelvent to this topic but if you would like to discuss it just make a new topic and put it up there.
Peace,
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 06 April 2011 at 1:27pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by AgnesDei AgnesDei wrote:

She is called the Mother of God because she is the mother of Jesus who is the Son, the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity.   GOD the father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are 3 ENTITIES which combine to form ONE GOD.  She was chosen by God to be the mother of Jesus.  It is written in the Gospel of Luke.  Yes, you are correct, Hasan, I am a devout Roman Catholic.  I respect all people who are trying in their heart to follow God to the best of their ability. 

In the end, when this life is over......that is when we'll see who was on the correct path and who was misguided.   Perhaps there are several paths which lead to the same destination, my friend.

Patty

Hi Patty,
thanks for your input. I still feel I did not get reply to "why Mother of God" is not included while son and father is taught to be included in godhead, in your belief?

The Quran teaches us that when this life is over our chance to correct our path is over, you cannot reverse or go back to fix things when the reality of what you thought or did and of course that will depend on your belief, so it will be a primary question, what did you believe and why? That day you will not be able to put blame on anyone but yourself since the "buck stops with you" the individual.
If by "paths" you mean beliefs, Islamic teachings say that only one way is accepted by God and that is: Submission to the Will of God, or Islam. If any submitt to anyone or anything else it will never be accepted and such person will recieve thier just recompense for doing so, those who deny God, God will deny them the bliss. By rejecting or by submitting to God and to no one else we do our part of chosing where we would like to end up. God is forgiving, who will forgive us our mistakes if we show that we have right intention and  we match up that intention with right pratice with the use of what God has given us. God has clearly stated that He will not forgive the sin of submission to anyone else beside Him or other than Him.
So that's a very clear indication that there is only one way, and not many that lead to Him. Those who deny Him the right, as the only One to be worshiped and served by associating others as gods with Him, or those who make and carve images or idols of those who were created, and those who kneel down and adore them are the one who break His commands. Whether they do it because they found their forefathers doing so and not really know why they do it, or if they do it after the knowledge has come to them, they will be held accountable for thier such acts.
May God guide the ones who are misguided.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 06 April 2011 at 2:03pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

AgnesDei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgnesDei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:06pm

Originally posted by AgnesDei AgnesDei wrote:

She is called the Mother of God because she is the mother of Jesus who is the Son, the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity.   GOD the father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are 3 ENTITIES which combine to form ONE GOD.  She was chosen by God to be the mother of Jesus.  It is written in the Gospel of Luke.  Yes, you are correct, Hasan, I am a devout Roman Catholic.  I respect all people who are trying in their heart to follow God to the best of their ability. 

In the end, when this life is over......that is when we'll see who was on the correct path and who was misguided.   Perhaps there are several paths which lead to the same destination, my friend.

AgnesDei

Hi Agnes,
thanks for your input. I still feel I did not get reply to "why Mother of God" is not included while son and father is taught to be included in godhead?

The Quran teaches us that when this life is over our chance to correct our path is over, you cannot reverse or go back to fix things when the reality of what you thought or did and of course that will depend on your belief, so it will be a primary question, what did you believe and why. That day you will not be able to put blame on anyone but yourself since the "buck stops with you" the individual.
If by "paths" you mean beliefs, Islamic teachings say that only one way is accepted by God and that is: Submission to the Will of God, or Islam. If any submitt to anyone or anything else it will never be accepted and such person will recieve thier just recompense for doing so, those who deny God, God will deny them the bliss. By rejecting or by submitting to God and to no one else we do our part of chosing where we would like to end up. God is forgiving, who will forgive us our mistakes if we show that we have right intention and  we match up that intention with right pratice with the use of what God has given us. God has clearly stated that He will not forgive the sin of submission to anyone else beside Him or other than Him.
So that's a very clear indication that there is only one way, and not many that lead to Him.
Hasan

We are taught the same thing, Hasan.  Once we die we cannot undo our sins.  We will pay for them.  The rejection of the Holy Spirit is the "unforgivable sin" in my belief. 

Mary, the Mother of Jesus, hence, the Mother of God, is not a part of the triune Godhead because that is the way God wanted it to be.  She was chosen for a purpose......to bear His son, Jesus, the Christ.  Btw, we do not worship her or pray to her, as is commonly stated by non-Catholics.  We honor and adore her as the Mother of Jesus.  She was the purest of all women, and that was why God chose her to be his mother.  We ask her to pray for us and intercede for us to her Son.  Just the same as I might ask you to pray for me if I were in a terrible situation or if I was very ill.  Same thing.

To sum up your original question, Mary was not chosen to share in the Trinity because God did not want her to.....He did not will it.  He chose her for other purposes.

Be well, my friend,
AgnesDei

Edited by AgnesDei - 06 April 2011 at 2:10pm
Douggg View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Douggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 9:10pm

Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Dear

Hi Hasan, before there was anything created, what existed other than God?

Dear Doug,
let AgnesDei answer the question or if you have an answer to what is being asked write it. As far as your question it is irrelvent to this topic but if you would like to discuss it just make a new topic and put it up there.
Peace,
Hasan

Hi Hasan, okay.   I picked a bad entry point to the main subject title (from where did the trinity teaching come?)

Separate from your question to AgnesDei, the trinity teaching is found in the new testament itself .

Jesus said he was with the Father before the creation of the world.    Jesus also said no-one has seen the Father except the Son (Jesus).   Only God existed before creation.    Which meant the person Jesus - who was he?

Prior to creation, there was no empty space with God taking up part of that empty space... because that would mean God is limited.   There was nothing but God, no empty space.   Space for the creation had to be defined within the presence of God.

God is spirit (the third person of the trinity), therefore, in order to provide a physical place for creation, a boundary space within God as Spirit had to be established.   God, as someone creation could interact with, entered that defined spaced as the Lord, coming forth from the Father, who creation can perceive as the Lord of heaven. The Lord is who Adam and Eve knew in the garden of Eden.    The Lord is who's back Moses saw on Mt. Sinai.

The nt says Jesus is the Lord from heaven.  When the Lord "came forth" from the Father into the space where creation would take place, which Jesus said he did come forth from the Father, that made him the Son of God  before anything was created.    The nt says of Jesus, God "sent" his Son into the world, which means that he was God's Son before entering the world.   (which is something no muslim or anti-trinitarian can get around)

The Lord, Son of God (the Father), entered this world by being born of Mary.   Therefore, Catholics do have a basis for Mary being the mother of God, in a limited sense as Jesus was also the Son of man, by being the son of Mary, a human.    But she herself was not the Mother of God, meaning mother of the Lord of Heaven on the eternal scale, since she herself was a created being.

Catholicism btw says that the Son emanated from the Father.    The kjv nt says "comes forth" which means the same thing. 

Doug L.

Edited by Douggg - 07 April 2011 at 3:29am
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2011 at 5:05am

To AgnesDei

Here is my previous response to your article:

My dear IssaEl,

All of the statements you quote from Our Lord are correct.  He did say them.  It is quite easily understood if you read my scripture.  God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are ONE.  Three entities which comprise one God.  He was  speaking in the entity of God in those statements.  When Jesus cried out from the cross he was human.  Jesus was fully human in every way while he walked among us here one earth.
In the scripture where Jesus was being tempted by Satan, he rebuked him saying "thou shall not tempt the LORD THY GOD."

"thou shall not tempt the LORD THY GOD." If you read in context it refers to Father not Jesus Christ.

We just celebrated Saint Patrick's Day on the 17th.  St. Patrick of Ireland (I'm Irish too) used the shamrock to illustrate the Holy Trinity.  There are 3 leaves on the shamrock, yet it is one shamrock.  This is the same as the Trinity.  I know it is difficult for you to understand, and asking questions is good for us all.  It is a step toward learning and respecting the other person's faith.  It is a step toward peace. 

On this Sunday may the God of us all bring you great peace and blessings!

The shamrock analogy is incorrect because it implies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (the three leaves) are "parts" of God (the shamrock), and not fully God themselves (a single leaf is not the shamrock).

AgnesDei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgnesDei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2011 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Mansoor_ali Mansoor_ali wrote:

To AgnesDei

Here is my previous response to your article:

My dear IssaEl,

All of the statements you quote from Our Lord are correct.  He did say them.  It is quite easily understood if you read my scripture.  God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are ONE.  Three entities which comprise one God.  He was  speaking in the entity of God in those statements.  When Jesus cried out from the cross he was human.  Jesus was fully human in every way while he walked among us here one earth.
In the scripture where Jesus was being tempted by Satan, he rebuked him saying "thou shall not tempt the LORD THY GOD."

"thou shall not tempt the LORD THY GOD." If you read in context it refers to Father not Jesus Christ.

We just celebrated Saint Patrick's Day on the 17th.  St. Patrick of Ireland (I'm Irish too) used the shamrock to illustrate the Holy Trinity.  There are 3 leaves on the shamrock, yet it is one shamrock.  This is the same as the Trinity.  I know it is difficult for you to understand, and asking questions is good for us all.  It is a step toward learning and respecting the other person's faith.  It is a step toward peace. 

On this Sunday may the God of us all bring you great peace and blessings!

The shamrock analogy is incorrect because it implies that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (the three leaves) are "parts" of God (the shamrock), and not fully God themselves (a single leaf is not the shamrock).

Jesus was the one whom Satan was tempting.....this is why Jesus said "thou shall not tempt 'the Lord thy God.'  He was making it clear that Satan knew he (Jesus) is also "the Lord thy God."

Yes, a portion of a shamrock is still a shamrock, my friend.  It is not a rose, nor a potato.  If a baby is born without its arms.....it is still a baby.

Peace,
AgnesDei
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 5:48am

To AgnesDei

Jesus was the one whom Satan was tempting.....this is why Jesus said "thou shall not tempt 'the Lord thy God.'  He was making it clear that Satan knew he (Jesus) is also "the Lord thy God."

Let me quote Matthew 4:1-7

1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a]2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 by the devil. The tempter came to him and said, �If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.�

4 Jesus answered, �It is written: �Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.�[b]�

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 �If you are the Son of God,� he said, �throw yourself down. For it is written:

��He will command his angels concerning you,
   and they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.�[c]�

7 Jesus answered him, �It is also written: �Do not put the Lord your God to the test.�[d]�

If you read verse 7 in context then you realize that it refers to Father not Jesus Christ.Keep in mind verse 6 when you read verse 7.

Yes, a portion of a shamrock is still a shamrock, my friend.  It is not a rose, nor a potato.  If a baby is born without its arms.....it is still a baby.

There are various problems with your analogy.For example:

1.) Each leaf is only a part of the clover, any one leaf cannot be said to be the whole clover. With the Trinity each of the persons is not just a separate part of God, each person is fully God.

2.) If one of the leaves were removed it would no longer be a Shamrock.

3.) Shamrock can be divided into three parts but God cannot.

AgnesDei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgnesDei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2011 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Mansoor_ali Mansoor_ali wrote:

To AgnesDei

Let me quote Matthew 4:1-7

1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a]2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 by the devil. The tempter came to him and said, �If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.�

4 Jesus answered, �It is written: �Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.�[b]�

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 �If you are the Son of God,� he said, �throw yourself down. For it is written:

��He will command his angels concerning you,
   and they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.�[c]�

7 Jesus answered him, �It is also written: �Do not put the Lord your God to the test.�[d]�

If you read verse 7 in context then you realize that it refers to Father not Jesus Christ.Keep in mind verse 6 when you read verse 7.

There are various problems with your analogy.For example:

1.) Each leaf is only a part of the clover, any one leaf cannot be said to be the whole clover. With the Trinity each of the persons is not just a separate part of God, each person is fully God.

2.) If one of the leaves were removed it would no longer be a Shamrock.

3.) Shamrock can be divided into three parts but God cannot.

My friend, in each of the verses you quoted from the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus is once again asserting that he and God are one.  It is seen especially in the 7th verse.  Where Satan is attempting to coerce Jesus into throwing himself down from the cliff, Jesus specifically says "Do not tempt the Lord thy God......meaning himself, as that is who Satan was tempting!

I will have to say regarding the shamrock......under statement number one, your second sentence is exactly how the Holy Trinity is explained. 

Peace be with you always,
AgnesDei
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>
  Share Topic