IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - syahadah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

syahadah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: syahadah
    Posted: 14 May 2008 at 11:19pm
Assalammu 'alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

Is it obligatory for children born in islamic family to recite syahadat at the time when they are baligh in order to be muslim? I read different versions on this topic which is quite confusing. please help....

jazakumullah khairan katsira,

dian
Rukkaiyah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rukkaiyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 2:46am

Asalamu Alaikum Warahmatulahi Wabarakatohuh

If a person is born in a muslim family they have the adhaan recited into their ear within the first few weeks of their life. As far as I know this makes them automatically muslim.

lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 1:58am
Wa alaykum salaam waarahamatullah wabarakatuh

I just wanted to add that everyone is born in a state of 'Islam'.(or Fitrah).It is later on that they change their status to any other form.So,that's why we refer to people coming into Islam after having practised another religion as'reverts'(not converts) because they are reverting back to their original status as Muslims.But if they leave for another religion,we can call them'converts'.

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
dian View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:22am
Jazakillah for your reply ukhty,
it has really shed light on my understanding of the matter. For you to know i'm a born muslima but have just begun seriously learning islam these past few years. To make the matter worse, in the place that i live there are so many islamic organizations, each claims to practise the truest islamic values as practised by the prophet SAW. Yet, each of these organization has quite different perception regarding basic principles of our deen, one of which is syahadah. some say the same as you say, but the other say that islam identity is different from nationality. when your parents are American, you will automatically be American but, so they say, it's not the case with islam identity. Groups holding this view also say that the pillars of islam are different from the pillars of iman. The former requires physical actions, like sholat through hajj, different from the latter which is just a matter of belief.
That is why, the confusing part of groups holding the "anomalous" opinion regarding syahadah is their statement about the practice of syahadah itself. If converts declare it (in front of some witnesses from Muslim community) as a symbol of entering islam, then shouldn't those born in islamic family do the same thing as a declaration that they accept islamic rules and therefore become a member of islamic family.
I used to hold the view but alhamduLLILLAH, HE has showed me the true view and erased all doubt and confusion inside. i am just worried about my friends here who were influenced by the view and still strongly hold it. I hope that Allah will give them His Hidayah and open their mind to accept the truth.

Jazakillah khairan katsira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:03am
AS-salaaam alaykum warahamatullah wabarakatuh

Dear sis.Dian,I understand how you must feel knowing that your friends are been led astray with the same people who are supposed to be guiding them.Astagfirullah!But you should not give up on them,share your knowledge with them when you get the opportunity.And believe me,I know what it feels like to believe that certain people know better because they have claimed so&people see them that way.While I was learning the basics of Islam,I blindly emulated certain practices of the Organisation I belonged to,with the believe that they were,righteous and that everything they did was according to the Qur'an and Sunnah of Rasulullah(s.a.w)But alliamdulillah,they showed me their true colour&my eyes were opened.I realized any believer would not be discriminatory towards their fellow Muslims nor rebuke them when they are supposed to guide them.
People who find themselves in influential positions sometimes misuse it.May Allah forgive us all and grant us hidyah.
"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:42pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

asslamu alaikum

Sister lovesakeenah can you please tell me who translates the word Fitrah to mean Islam, i know many muslims claim this but i have never seen an actual source.

Edited by rami - 26 May 2008 at 3:00am
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:43am
As-salaam alaykum warahamatullah wabarakatuh bro. rami

Un fortunately,I cannot tell you who"translated it" because I do not know.But I have read from a few Books where it was used as such.
I do not recall the title of most of it now,astagfirullah but it was either"The Making of a Muslim Child" by Al-Munajjid Saleh" or some other Literature I can't recall now.It was about Child naming&rites in Islam.Like you rightly mentioned,"many Muslims" use this word".And so far from what I have learnt&read(until now),it was never a sibject of controversy.Meanwhile,I am not verse in Arabic to begin explaining the 'root' or generative word for"Fitra".Wallahu an'lam..
If you do find anything on the Translator,please do share with us!

Edited by lovesakeenah - 26 May 2008 at 2:44am
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:55am
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

wa alaikum assalam

my understanding is that the fitrah we are born on refers to the Oath allah made all souls take before entering this world and that is to believe in only him it has nothing to do with submitting your will to him he didnt make us take an oath to do that although we are "asked" to.

I dont agree with this translation at all and i havnt seen the word used this way by any classical scholar, it may seem like im being trivial sister but if we keep diluting and changing things like this we will loose many more words.

Edited by rami - 26 May 2008 at 2:59am
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic