IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I thought Muslims did not believe in intercessors  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I thought Muslims did not believe in intercessors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I thought Muslims did not believe in intercessors
    Posted: 10 May 2008 at 5:32am
 http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/introduction/wasiti/taimiyah_7.html

Ash-Shafa'ah (The Prophets Intercession)

The first to knock at the gate of Paradise will be Muhammad (peace be upon him); And the first Ummah to enter Paradise will be his Ummah.

And he (Muhammad) (peace be upon him) has three intercessions to perform on the Day of Resurrection:

His first intercession will be on behalf of the people still held for judgment, after all Prophets, Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus, the son of Mary, have passed over intercession and it reaches him (Muhammad).

His second intercession will be on behalf of the people of Paradise in order that they may enter it. These two intercessions are unique to him.

His third intercession is to be on behalf of those who warrant Fire. This intercession is for him (Muhammad), for all prophets and saints and for others, so that they may intercede on behalf of those who deserve Fire, preventing them from entering it, and on behalf of those who have entered into the Fire, taking them from it. Allah, The Exalted, out of His Generosity and Mercy, sends some people out from the Fire without intercession. Space will be left unfilled in Paradise, so Allah will create more people for it, and bring them into it.

The Hereafter includes judgment, reward, punishment, Paradise and Hell. These are mentioned in detail in the Revealed Books from heavens, in the tradition of the prophets, and in the inherited knowledge from Muhammad (peace be upon him) what is sufficient and satisfactory (in this regard), and whoever wishes to seek it can find it.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:55am
Hi believer,
do you have any Quranic referance to back up this, please present it so we can proceed on this.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:50am
My understanding is that it is from the writings of Ibn Taimiyah -

Is it interpretation of hadith? 
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:44pm
believer,
it is an important matter, you have to bring in Quranic referance if you want to discuss it here. I personally don't post or click on those outside links.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Farooqui View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farooqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:35pm
This topic has been started on a wrong supposition. The prophet Muhammad (pbuh) will ask for the ability for intercession for certain followers:

I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Who will be the luckiest person who will gain your intercession on the Day of Resurrection?" The Prophet said, "O Abu Huraira! I have thought that none will ask me about this Hadith before you, as I know your longing for the (learning of) Hadiths. The luckiest person who will have my intercession on the Day of Resurrection will be the one who said, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' sincerely from the bottom of his heart."

(More constructive dialogue please, less of the hole-picking)

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:23am

Farooqui -  Me asking is it an interpretation of hadith by Ibn Taimiyah hole-picking?

YUSUFALI: On that Day shall no intercession avail except for those for whom permission has been granted by (Allah) Most Gracious and whose word is acceptable to Him.
PICKTHAL: On that day no intercession availeth save (that of) him unto whom the Beneficent hath given leave and whose word He accepteth.
SHAKIR: On that day shall no intercession avail except of him whom the Beneficent Allah allows and whose word He is pleased with.
YUSUFALI: He knows what is before them, and what is behind them, and they offer no intercession except for those who are acceptable, and they stand in awe and reverence of His (Glory).
PICKTHAL: He knoweth what is before them and what is behind them, and they cannot intercede except for him whom He accepteth, and they quake for awe of Him.
SHAKIR: He knows what is before them and what is behind them, and they do not intercede except for him whom He approves and for fear of Him they tremble

YUSUFALI: "No intercession can avail in His Presence, except for those for whom He has granted permission. So far (is this the case) that, when terror is removed from their hearts (at the Day of Judgment, then) will they say, 'what is it that your Lord commanded?' they will say, 'That which is true and just; and He is the Most High Most Great'."
PICKTHAL: No intercession availeth with Him save for him whom He permitteth. Yet, when fear is banished from their hearts, they say: What was it that your Lord said? They say: The Truth. And He is the Sublime, the Great.
SHAKIR: And intercession will not avail aught with Him save of him whom He permits. Until when fear shall be removed from their hearts, They shall say: What is it that your Lord said? They shall say: The truth. And He is the Most High, the Great.
John 3
Farooqui View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farooqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:54am

Believer, you began by supposing there was no interscession in Islam which both the Quran and the hadith provide description of the reverse. Your own quote makes this clear. In cases like this where�s the grey area? what�s left to ask? I intend no offence but on the face of it, it appeared non-constructive. On the other hand please take my apologies if you�ve really picked up some new knowledge from this item.

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 6:25pm
Farooqui -I have been repeatly told by Muslims that there are no intercessors in Islam.   They question how Jesus can be an intercessor for the Christian. 

I was believing Muslims on their word and just found this when reading on the UMC site for another thread.

honeto what is your understanding?

My next question - Who is receiving and who is interceeding?
John 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic