IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1st Question asked about islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Question asked about islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:45am
Well considering in Muslim countries and some places in Africa polygamy is allowed and no one can claim it is "rampant" nd so widespead it causes unrest.  For instance, no unrest in Saudi Arabia due to roving bands of males looking and preying on females.. somehow places have worked it out..  They have some that do, some that don't..

And really, it is that you must be able to support more than one.. so.. not sure HOW it could be rampant...and a detriment...

in fact, would it not besaid it would help if the rich supported more people anyways?? Smile  They can afford it...

And you you are saying that we should not have it at all, what should be done for all those unmarried women if they want to marry? You have yet to answer that.. that is one main reason it is allowed, no matter the birth rations, the realty is that there are more adult women then men.. not the other way around. And if they must be married to have "relations" and such well???

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 5:23pm
Even Allah intended just a pair-

YUSUFALI: That He did create in pairs,- male and female,
PICKTHAL: And that He createth the two spouses, the male and the female,
SHAKIR: And that He created pairs, the male and the female
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Well considering in Muslim countries and some places in Africa polygamy is allowed and no one can claim it is "rampant" nd so widespead it causes unrest.  For instance, no unrest in Saudi Arabia due to roving bands of males looking and preying on females..

No, they don't prey on females.  As I said, their passion is redirected in other, more sinister ways.  Need I remind you that fifteen of the nineteen 9/11 terrorists were Saudi?  Are you aware that most of the suicide bombers in Iraq are Saudi?

Quote And you you are saying that we should not have it at all, what should be done for all those unmarried women if they want to marry? You have yet to answer that.. that is one main reason it is allowed, no matter the birth rations, the realty is that there are more adult women then men.. not the other way around.

No, the reality is that there are about one percent more men than women globally, as I just showed you.  Even in advanced countries such as the U.S., the reality is that there are more men than women of marriageable age, as I've also already shown.

There are indeed more elderly women than men, but I fail to see how that is pertinent.  If men want to take on octogenarians as additional wives, then that would be fine -- but somehow I doubt that is what they have in mind.
Mystical View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

No, the reality is that there are about one percent more men than women globally, as I just showed you.  Even in advanced countries such as the U.S., the reality is that there are more men than women of marriageable age, as I've also already shown.

There are indeed more elderly women than men, but I fail to see how that is pertinent.  If men want to take on octogenarians as additional wives, then that would be fine -- but somehow I doubt that is what they have in mind.

Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up

Polygamy is for the man's pleasure not for the betterment of women. It is a grave misconception in Islam if Muslim men believe that woman like to share their man (husband) with other women. We LOATHE this just as much as a man loathes to share his woman (wife) I believe the only reason a Muslim woman accepts this is because they must believe this is the from Allah/God but trust me give the woman a choice and she will yell from every roof top AGAINST polygamy. Polygamy stems from man's desire to dominate and procreate with as many as posible the "deficient in intelligence" other half of humanity Angry. It is legalised (in the religious sense) adultery! That's my opinion as a woman but admittedly if I was a man I would probably justify it too. Wink

God created ONE man and ONE woman, Adam and Eve, not Adam and Eve, Rebekka, Rachael and Hannah!

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 3:40pm
Mystical I will have to realistically disgree with that. I agree that a woman in normal circumtances will not agree to share her husband, but a true believer woman probably won't be as blunt if a unusual situation arises when its not a matter of man's benefit but purely for the benefit of the woman and the society. That unusual situation can be after a war and loss of a lot of men, leaving childless widows or those woman with children who are still young. Then it may be not about sharing the man but about helping and giving hope to those who otherwise would have none.
Right in our lifetime, right here on this earth in many regional crises such a situation has arised where big number of men are lost to conflicts.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 03 June 2008 at 3:42pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Hamzah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 4:52pm
[QUOTE=Ron Webb] As I said, their passion is redirected in other, more sinister ways.� Need I remind you that fifteen of the nineteen 9/11 terrorists were Saudi?� Are you aware that most of the suicide bombers in Iraq are Saudi?

[quote]

Off the subject, do you know Ron that 5 of the so called 15 Saudi hijackers turned out to be living, and funnily enough the guy who the US claim to have found his passport (they should use the same material they use in our passports for everything) in the debris of the wreckage turned up somewhere in Saudi too, 9/11 was an inside job, i would advise you to look up 9/11 just a coincidence on youtube, it's a 19 part series, please watch them all and give me your fair and honest feedback.
I would welcome you to visit Saudi Arabia and i will be your host for your entire stay (i'm not joking), and at the end of it i want you to tell me if you still think Saudi's are sinister.
"Whosoever fears Allah, he will appoint for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect"
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 6:37pm

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Mystical I will have to realistically disgree with that. I agree that a woman in normal circumtances will not agree to share her husband, but a true believer woman probably won't be as blunt if a unusual situation arises when its not a matter of man's benefit but purely for the benefit of the woman and the society. That unusual situation can be after a war and loss of a lot of men, leaving childless widows or those woman with children who are still young. Then it may be not about sharing the man but about helping and giving hope to those who otherwise would have none.
Right in our lifetime, right here on this earth in many regional crises such a situation has arised where big number of men are lost to conflicts.

Would the same apply in reverse?  For instance, India and China, through selective abortion, are both creating lopsided societies with a severe shortage of women.  Do you think women should be allowed to have multiple husbands in such a circumstance?  Would the men be as willing to share their woman, "giving hope to those who otherwise would have none"?

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 7:23am
It is interesting what you wrote. There are tribes, I know in Nepal where the women marry two brothers.. ya.. it happens..

Many women don't like to share. .and really quite a number don't care that much.. and it is not about religion but it is culture and society. For some it is just a better arrangement.

Mystical, you do sound very upset by the idea of polygyny.. it realyl does work for some people, and some women are quite happy in it.. they often are better friends with co-wives then husband.. lol

Edited by Hayfa - 05 June 2008 at 9:16am
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic