IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seeing a Muslim Purchasing Alcohol  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeeing a Muslim Purchasing Alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeing a Muslim Purchasing Alcohol
    Posted: 08 May 2008 at 4:50pm

Salams,

Like to know your advice on this. My child saw one Muslim person we know from a Muslim fast food store purchase bottles of beer and brought this to my attention. I came closer and saw the bottles being put inside the bag and asked the cashier if they were soft drinks, but she told me they were beer and even gave me the trade name. This brother is a Muslim he works for a well known Take Away on a main street within a Muslim community and I tried speaking to the manager but they would not give me his contact details. I think the brother suspects that I know about this and that is why he asked why I wanted to contact his manager. Tbh, I just wanted to tell the manager to take care of his employees and keep an eye out on them, without point at anyone, I wanted him to be aware this is going on and that it was not going to help his business if other Muslims found out that one of the men working there is purchasing alcoholic drinks. But as I said they didn't give me his phone number. 

So I have notified some responsible Muslims who will discuss the issue with an Imam. I said to them that I felt responsible that if other younger Muslim may watch him purchasing alcohol they may get encouraged to drink it, but I reminded them that they should try to conceal his sin, so that Allah will cover ours and I did not give them his name, but only the name of the fast food store.

I don't know if I did the right thing. I don't know what will happen.  The sister I spoke to said it was important they knew about it as they would like to speak to him diplomatically about this. I feel confused, because I don't know how the brother will may take it or will understand why this is wrong to do what he's doing. I think he knows we saw him purchase alcohol, but I don't know if he bought those bottles of beer to drink for himself, or for someone else.

Any suggestions from Muslims will be appreciated.

Jazak Allahkhair

Edited by fareeda - 08 May 2008 at 4:52pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:47pm
Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir Rajeem,
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

Asslamaualiakum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

The very first and most important thing we all muslims should be doing for each other (and most especially in a world of today) is to make excessive dua for eachother's Imaan - its firmness and our steadfastedness in religion.

The very first chapter of the Quran is a dua, where Allah has taught us the best way of spplicating to Him ... we may note that in this supplication we say 'guide us' to the straight path  (as opposed to guide me to the straight path)... thus Allah has indicated to us the adab of dua is to include ev�ry muslim's well being and integrity of imaan, khair insha Allah.

The adab of enjoining good and forbiding evil is that one may correct a person when  a wrong action is being done - this means one cannot go checking others when they have already finished doing the action. Therfore the best thing, if it was possible for you was to stop the brother when he was in the process of buying alchohol. A gentle advice or words of caution are best ways to begin with.

Spreading the word about him may amount to gheebah, and Allah knows best.
Spying on his activities is also forbidden in sharia, so please take care.

If you know which mosque the brother frequents, you may breath a general word of caution to the imaam, that he may give a dars if possible on the prohibitiveness of alcohol, however telling the imaam specifically pointing at the brother would be disclosing his sin.

It is said that of all the duties of religion, the most difficult is to enjoin good and forbid evil. We all must learn the sharia rulings of discharging this duty and take much care in carying it out. Like in all other acts of worship, our aim in this as well is only the good pleasure of Allah subhanahu wa ta�la.

And success is through Allah.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
fareeda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:38am

Salams Nausheen,

You haven't obviously READ my message. I know all of what you just said, I am a Muslim and I am not ignorant about my deen, so please, it's very impolite to attack me with Shariah in a way as if I have done something wrong or 'unislamic'. I have tried to correct him, by asking other Muslims in a better position to deal with this, who are more knowledgeable and they will ask the Imam, understood? If I corrected him, it would mean talking infront of strangers who are watching us and embarrasing him. He is working with a whole group of brothers there. I HAVE NOT TOLD ANYONE WHO THE PERSON IS,THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HIS NAME. SO WHAT GHEEBA ARE YOU REFERRING TO? If you see a wrong you should correct it with your hand, if not with your hand then with your tongue... is that not correct? 

So many Muslims came to the Prophet and his wives to talk about social ills and problems related to them or their families, wasn't that 'gheeba'? 

Wasalam

Edited by fareeda - 09 May 2008 at 1:56am
fareeda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:39am
I am looking for brothers and sisters who can respond to this senistive issue with ISLAMIC ADAB, not with condemnation, patronsing comments and put downs.

Jazak Allahkhair

Edited by fareeda - 09 May 2008 at 1:57am
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:56am
Assalamu Alaikum,

Sister fareeda, I think sister Nauseen has done her best to reply to your concerns. Please don't take it personal. The purpose of this private forum is to correct ourselves so that we may do better in public. Let us all, including me, look at the wider objective of dawah.

May Allah guide us all. Smile

Wassalam,

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:17pm
Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir Rajeem,
Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim,

Asslamaualiakum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Insha Allah I will try to clarify two matters that were posed in your above post.

1. Enjoining the good and forbidding the evil is a communal obligation and NOT a personal obligation.  This means amr bil ma'aroof and sahih anil munkar must be performed by those who have qualified scholarship of the deen. Therfore if such people are present in a society, then the obligation is lifted from ordinary muslims.
Therefore, as said before, if one sees people who are engaged in clear wrong actions, one may inform about the incident to the imaam of a mosque (without labeling any particular person) and leave the matter to the imaam as to how this may be dealt with.

another point that may be mentioned here is that having apathy towards the masiyah of Allah is not what is meant by staying away from commanding good, forbidding evil - rather it being a communal obligation means,  one should be having concreat knowledge of the deen and skills of dawah before taking on this responsibility such that no greater harm is done by the very act of amr bil ma'roof nahih anil munkar than the action which is being corrected.

2. Gheeba by scholarly consensus is anything said about a muslim or a protected non-muslim, that he or she may dislike.
If the person is guilty of the act, then this is gheeba, and if one is not guilty of the action then it is slander.

and Allah knows best.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
fareeda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:18pm
Salams,

Peace Maker, s/he has been really harsh and judgemental and accused me of doing gheeba which is really is out of bounds of Islam and yet you have said nothing about her accusations, but instead you're telling me that I should listen to her, while neglecting what I said in my posts,  is this fair?

I give her the benefit of the doubt, because I am sure her intentions were good at heart. S/he has some good qualities I am sure, but I can't understand why instead of greeting me everyone attacking me and making me think I am doing something wrong and sinful each time I have posted, since I have joined this forum only couple of days ago, esp. when I am trying my best and only asking about what else I needed to do in this situation Islamically? Plus, I think I had done my best, Allah knows my intentions.

Anyway, I have asked the sister now not to tell the Imam, so this brother if he is drinking will continue it as I am not in the position to help him understand.

The burden of irresponsibility lies on this ummah for the incorrect advice and lack of understanding and empathy in how to treat such problems.

May Allah bless.

Wasalam

Edited by fareeda - 09 May 2008 at 12:47pm
fareeda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:35pm
Sister Nausheen,

Assalamualaikum

Firstly, writing in bold and being hostile only shows arrogance. I already know most of the things you have posted, because long ago when I was only a teen I met plenty of sisters who condemned me to hell with umpteen quotes such as these and you know what? I nearly left Islam, if it weren not for good spiritual Muslims whom I met on my path while going through trauma. 

I was 'switching off' while reading your post so be careful of intimidation and acting as if only you have the authority on understanding God's word, as you may literally drive really good Muslims out of Islam with your tongues and attitude if you continue this way all teaming up against one user seeking counsel, guidance and support and in case you did not know this is different from your patronising tone of lecturing and condemnation.

I know what backbiting and slandering is and if you are not careful, you will have to bring evidence in the courts of Allah why you are condemning me all the time while giving only your view point on gheeba when the question was how to help Muslims to stop drinking alcohol and bring them closer to the deen and how to go about it.

I am not going to do what you say according to your interpretation of Islam and I will not be manipulated into your school of thinking, whatever that is, it certainly doesn't seem to be like the gentle manner which our beloved Prophet did dawa with believers!

We are completely different personalities and once Muslims disagree with one another about a ruling, you should know that something is wrong in the interpretation of the deen, somewhere, and the fault does not necessarly lie all with me.

This is my advice to you. I do not want you to post in a hostile bold manner Sister Nausheen, so please keep away if you can not be courteous or if you are all going to continously patronise and pick faults on me for nothing making me to appear as a great sinner.

Wasalam

Edited by fareeda - 09 May 2008 at 2:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic