IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Breaking the Ice  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking the Ice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheListener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking the Ice
    Posted: 30 April 2008 at 1:57am
My warmest greetings to you all.

I wish I could put my question in a simple way, but it seems that I need to give an explanation.

In seeking to know more of Islam than the internet can provide, it would seem to be a good idea to visit a mosque.

Where I live (rural Australia), there does not appear to be any.

If I go to the nearest city (4 hours away), the mosques appear to be centred on cultural boundaries (ie Turkish mosque, Pakistani mosque, Indonesian, etc)

I believe that Allah welcomes all.  But as I am not from a country where Islam is widely practiced, I feel completely out of my depth when stepping into a gathering of people with wholly unfamiliar cultural practices and language.  This is not about the faith, it is about the unfamiliar culture.

Being an introvert doesn't help, but I'll try my best to overcome my reserve.  But does anyone have suggestions as to how to introduce myself, and avoid doing anything likely to accidentally offend?

Also, how does one survive in the faith if living somewhere cut off from regular contact with others?

Thanks for your help.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 12:19pm
Salaam/Peace

Welcome. I think there is no specific rules to joint the group. The first and most important things probably that you need to tell them that you are new to Islam. So they will understand in case there are some of your habits that might not fit to their culture (not necessary religion/Islam). Secondly, dress properly, proper doesn't mean you have to wear hijab / scarf (if you are female) but modest, not like to go to the "beach or summer party".

Thirdly (asuming you are already muslim), take it easy (don't be burdened by) in case there is some folks there that give you "do/don't list" to be "perfect Muslim" like shaikh from al-azar university. Take your time, apply the "islamic teaching/value" gradually little by little.

Finally enjoy gather with them, however you may want to ask them before you try Pakistani/Indian/Indonesian  food, make sure it doesn't burn your tongue Wink

The following might not answer you question but probably you want to take a look:

Edited by semar - 30 April 2008 at 12:36pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic