IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - YHWH v. Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YHWH v. Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YHWH v. Allah
    Posted: 20 April 2008 at 3:08pm

The Bible

The Quran

YHWH is God's name �forever'. (Exodus 3:13�15)

Allah is God's name. (The Quran)

Evil is not from YHWH, but wilful rebellion against YHWH. YHWH is the author of good, not evil. (Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 92:15; 1 John 1:5)

Allah is the author of both good and evil. (Q91:5�9)

YHWH can make himself present with and in people and places: this is distinct from his omnipresence. (Exodus 33:14�15; Joel 2:27�29)

Allah is everywhere at once, but nowhere in particular: he indwells nothing. (Q2:109; Q4:125)

YHWH is holy, and his followers should be holy too. (Leviticus 19:1�2)

The Holiness of Allah is rarely referred to in the Quran: it appears to be a minor or secondary attribute of Allah. (Q59:20-24)

Human beings are created in God's image and should seek to be like him. (Genesis 1:26�27; Ephesians 5:1-2)

Nothing in creation is like Allah, and people must not seek to be like him. (Q4:50�54) No human attribute may be associated with Allah, and when people use the same words to describe humans and Allah this is merely a figure of speech.

YHWH loves sinners and reaches out to his enemies in love. (Exodus 34:5�7; 1 John 4:19)

Allah will typically hate those who hate him, and love those who obey him, and he wants people to follow him in this. He is however under no obligation to love, and can love or hate whoever he chooses. (Q3:25�29)

YHWH is faithful to his word, which is unchanging, and he does not lie. (Numbers 23:19) Although God can and often does make conditional promises � including covenants � his inherent faithfulness is not dependent upon human faithfulness, but reflects his utter holiness. (Hebrews 6:17�19; Malachi 3:6)

Allah acts as he pleases and is the �best of schemers' (Q3:54); he can, without impugning his perfection, abrogate something he has said earlier and replace it with a contradictory word. (Q16:100�104) He is not obligated to follow his covenants, nor does he obligate himself to people in any way. (Q17:85�89)

I came across the above table while browsing in other sites.  I thought to myself, there's plenty to discuss here!  So I thought I'd let you see it. 

My first thought is that it is not a complete list of differences between YHWH and Allah, there being some I would have thought to be more obvious. 

It also raises questions of accuracy.  For instance, the first thing it says about Allah is that this is God's name.  Is this in fact true?  Or does the word Allah simply mean God?  The reason I ask is that an exact reference is not given, it merely cites the Quran without giving a chapter or verse...
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 3:49pm

To address the first point.

Quote YHWH is God's name �forever'. (Exodus 3:13�15)

vs.

Quote And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH [YHWH] was I not known to them. (Exodus 6:3)

A question thus arises.  If and only if Abraham, Isaac and Jacob did not know the tetragramaton [YHWH], then why should Ishmael and Muhammad?

Serv

Edited by Servetus - 20 April 2008 at 3:50pm
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 3:54pm
I keep hearing that arabic Christians  use the word Allah for GOD.  I wonder when GOD is called by HIS personal name YWHW what do the arabic Christians say?  Do they pronounce it like we do, Yahweh?

Actually though Islam has GOD having 99 names.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 3:57pm
There is therefore no reason why either Ishmael or Muhammad should have known the name, I would have thought
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:23pm
Part 2

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)

3:54 And (the unbelievers) plotted and planned, and Allah too planned, and the best of planners is Allah.

An-Nahl (The Bee)

16:100 His authority is over those only, who take him as patron and who join partners with Allah.

16:101 When We substitute one revelation for another,- and Allah knows best what He reveals (in stages),- they say, "Thou art but a forger": but most of them understand not.

16:102 Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims.

16:103 We know indeed that they say, "It is a man that teaches him." The tongue of him they wickedly point to is notably foreign, while this is Arabic, pure and clear.

16:104 Those who believe not in the Signs of Allah,- Allah will not guide them, and theirs will be a grievous Penalty.

Al-Isra (The Journey by Night)

17:85 They ask thee concerning the Spirit (of inspiration). Say: "The Spirit (cometh) by command of my Lord: of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you, (O men!)"

17:86 If it were Our Will, We could take away that which We have sent thee by inspiration:then wouldst thou find none to plead thy affair in that matter as against Us,-

17:87 Except for Mercy from thy Lord: for his bounty is to thee (indeed) great.

17:88 Say: "If the whole of mankind and Jinns were to gather together to produce the like of this Qur'an, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they backed up each other with help and support.

17:89 And We have explained to man, in this Qur'an, every kind of similitude: yet the greater part of men refuse (to receive it) except with ingratitude!

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 20 April 2008 at 4:40pm
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:25pm

Allah is the Arabic word for God.

I think it would behoove the poster to read the actual Quranic verses referenced here.

Part 1:

Ash-Shams (The Sun)

91:5 By the Firmament and its (wonderful) structure;

91:6 By the Earth and its (wide) expanse:

91:7 By the Soul, and the proportion and order given to it;

91:8 And its enlightenment as to its wrong and its right;-

91:9 Truly he succeeds that purifies it,

Al-Baqara (The Cow)

2:109 Quite a number of the People of the Book wish they could Turn you (people) back to infidelity after ye have believed, from selfish envy, after the Truth hath become Manifest unto them: But forgive and overlook, Till Allah accomplish His purpose; for Allah Hath power over all things.

An-Nisa (The Women)

4:125 Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to Allah, does good, and follows the way of Abraham the true in Faith? For Allah did take Abraham for a friend.

Al-Hashr (The Gathering)

59:20 Not equal are the Companions of the Fire and the Companions of the Garden: it is the Companions of the Garden, that will achieve Felicity.

59:21 Had We sent down this Qur'an on a mountain, verily, thou wouldst have seen it humble itself and cleave asunder for fear of Allah. Such are the similitudes which We propound to men, that they may reflect.

59:22 Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- Who knows (all things) both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

59:23 Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: Glory to Allah. (High is He) above the partners they attribute to Him.

59:24 He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colours). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

An-Nisa (The Women)

4:50 Behold! how they invent a lie against Allah. but that by itself is a manifest sin!

4:51 Hast thou not turned Thy vision to those who were given a portion of the Book? they believe in sorcery and Evil, and say to the Unbelievers that they are better guided in the (right) way Than the believers!

4:52 They are (men) whom Allah hath cursed: And those whom Allah Hath cursed, thou wilt find, have no one to help.

4:53 Have they a share in dominion or power? Behold, they give not a farthing to their fellow-men?

4:54 Or do they envy mankind for what Allah hath given them of his bounty? but We had already given the people of Abraham the Book and Wisdom, and conferred upon them a great kingdom.

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)

3:25 But how (will they fare) when we gather them together against a day about which there is no doubt, and each soul will be paid out just what it has earned, without (favour or) injustice?

3:26 Say: "O Allah. Lord of Power (And Rule), Thou givest power to whom Thou pleasest, and Thou strippest off power from whom Thou pleasest: Thou enduest with honour whom Thou pleasest, and Thou bringest low whom Thou pleasest: In Thy hand is all good. Verily, over all things Thou hast power.

3:27 "Thou causest the night to gain on the day, and thou causest the day to gain on the night; Thou bringest the Living out of the dead, and Thou bringest the dead out of the Living; and Thou givest sustenance to whom Thou pleasest, without measure."

3:28 Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah. except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them. But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself; for the final goal is to Allah.

3:29 Say: "Whether ye hide what is in your hearts or reveal it, Allah knows it all: He knows what is in the heavens, and what is on earth. And Allah has power over all things.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:28pm

I'm not sure why they posted out of order, but it should be easy enough to correspond to the chart.....

Eleanor Roosevelt
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:39pm
Yes it is posting weird- maybe because we are all on at the same time.

Shasts's aunt - Do you know the Arabic word for His personal name YWHW?

I know Jesus which is actually, Yeshua became Isa in arabic.  
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic