IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need input from Revert/converts Muslims  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need input from Revert/converts Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need input from Revert/converts Muslims
    Posted: 14 April 2008 at 2:10am
Asalaamu alaikum:
I am the coordinator(leader?) type person for a support group for newer revert/convert at our Islamic center (that is where I have been) and Need stories and imput for the topic for next months discussion:

Question: As a convert Revert to Islam, how did you tell your non muslim family members about your decision to revert to Islam.?

How did they react, did they accept your decision?

How is your relationship now with your parents/other family members?

What advise would you give to a newer Muslim who is having difficulty and/or strained relationships with their non muslim family members?

JazakAllah Khayran for your time to help out those facing difficulties, and believe me in the aftermath of 9/11 in the US, it is difficult in some places! I will not give the forum as the sourcefor some of these stories. You will remain anonymous!

mariyah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 7:01pm
Salam,
Mariyah it's nice to meet you.  I'm Zaharah.  I converted about 2 years ago.  I was born and raised christian and even received my license to teach the gospel and became a minister.  I always felt something wasn't just right but i could never put a hand on it.  I meet and married my husband of 6 years now who was born and raised muslim, who never pressured me.  He would support my sermons and studied it to educate himself.  I became very interested and began reading the Quran for myself.  So far i have NO doubt about Allah and He who I serve.  My parents are both as well as my brothers into the christian religion and my father is a deacon.  I just kept it to myself and they began to notice a change in me and my children.  After those 2 years, i began to open up little by little and let them know.  At first they didnt like it and didnt want no part of my converstion.  ( I guess cause they thought i was some big time teacher of the gospel)  But as for now they respect me and my family and ive gone as far as giving my dad the Quran to read for himself.  He has yet to do so, but just him having the Quran in his house is a start.  I would give the advise to read it for yourself and turn off your tv cause the media is not sending the right message.  If anyone has converted then may Allah guide you and welcome to the right path.  You have to put your God first no matter what your parents, family or friends have to say.  Sometimes you have to close the door and reflect on what's more important to you.  When you do that they will soon begin thru Allah's grace open up.  I have been praying for 2 years for my parents and brothers to embrace Islam.  My mom is dying of various sickness as i type this message and she by the Grace of Allah took Shahadah 3 weeks ago and i now in the care of Hospice.  If just goes to show that Islam is the Truth and It will Stand.  Allah is great!Smile  

Edited by Zaharah - 19 July 2008 at 11:29pm
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 6:46pm
Wa Alaikum asalaam sister Zahara,
Jazakallah Khayran sister, what a beautiful story!
The will of Allah did prevail, and now your mother has the chance for Jannah!
thank you for the advice, I will forward to to the person who is having this issue as an example.
As a nurse who has worked hospiceIn the past, I can assure you your mother has chosen the most merciful path. She will be well cared for. PM me if you have any questions, I will answer them if I can.
Smile Mariyah

Edited by mariyah - 18 July 2008 at 6:47pm
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2008 at 10:47pm
Salam my sister
I'm sad to say that my mom expired on sat 19th. 2008  I thank Allah for giving me the chance i had with her and I'm happy that she took Shahadah and that i was a witness to it.  It just goes to show us that Allah is Great!  All Knowing and All Powerful!!  I also that Allah for allowing me to be a nurse and work also with hospice, that area in my life was helping me all along without knowledge that i too would come to the client list.  You see that is where Allah's All-Knowing wisdom took my life.  Allah is Great!

Edited by Zaharah - 19 July 2008 at 11:28pm
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 6:56am

Salaams

Alhamdullillah sister, it is so comforting to know that your mother has a chance for Jannah...and that her slate was wiped clean the day she took her shahada. Inshallah you will be rewarded in this life and the next for your patience and love for your mother!

Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 9:21am

Salams

thanks so much sister for taking time to read.  As i typed the message i had just recieved the news of my mom.  I was sad but yet happy.  Knowing that what Allah says is so.  Only His Infinite Power can wipe our slate clean and forgive us as we humans can be weak.  He is the Creator and Charisher of all.  Thanks again for your encouragement.  Alhamdullilah and All praise to Allah.  You know iv'e been hearing that word"patience" a lot hear lately and that's something I thought i never had.  May Allah be Pleased!
"Z"
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 11:56am

Zaharah, very sorry to hear about the death of your mother. You are lucky that you had the blessing for serving your mom during the last hours. It is very good that you helped your mom to salvation. We pray that Allah give her an abode in Jannah and may Allah raise her ranks.

May we know how the body was disposed off? There could be a funeral prayer by some (few) Muslims for your mom in absentia (without the body being available).
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2008 at 12:15pm
Zaharah, I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing, but I am happy you could be there in her last days to help her.  May Allah ease her passing.

Mariyah,  I am a revert myself and faced some difficulties though I always did what was best for me as my family rarely helped me in any way before Islam.  It shocked them and they don't accept it, but they don't shun me either.  My husband is muslim and I think that bothered them more.  That I married someone from the middle east and a country we have troops in.  For me, I just keep acting like all of this is perfectly normal and leave no room for them to criticize.  Its worked so far, but of course every family is different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic