IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Allah’s Mercy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allah’s Mercy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allah’s Mercy
    Posted: 17 June 2005 at 2:05am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Quote because it was not the custom of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) to ask one another to make du�aa� for one another.

This is just plain wrong.

Bukhari [Istisqa']: Annas narrated: Whenever drought threatened them, `Umar ibn al-Khattab used to ask Allah for rain through the mediation of al-`Abbas ibn `Abd al-Muttalib. He [`Umar] used to say: "O Allah! We used to ask you through the means of our Prophet and You would bless us with rain, and now we ask You through the means of our Prophet's uncle, so bless us with rain." And it would rain.

Quote With regard to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) advising his companions to ask Uways al-Qurani to make du�aa� for them, this undoubtedly applied only in his case, and it is known that Uways was not on the same level as Abu Bakr or �Umar or �Uthmaan or �Ali, or other Sahaabah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not tell anyone among his Sahaabah to ask anyone to make du�aa� for them.

He was a wali of Allah on a level similar to theres, if you want to state not there exact rank well each persons rank differes from the others but certainly he was on there level.

The above is the salafi view as refrenced from the site, i will not bother to argue the points as my intention was as br Ali mentioned, Abu Aisha is welcome to his view there is nothing haram in it.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2005 at 10:17am

Salam to Rami,

Thank you for your post. The vision of the heart, is different from the vision of the mind. Allah (s.w.a.) gives wings to his lovers, but only gives two legs to his scholars (although some scholars are lovers of Allah (s.w.a) as well). Scholarship and Love are both neccessary, but one is deeper than the other.

I laugh to myself (no insult intended to anyone), when someone tries to analize with the mind a message that is meant for the heart. I have met Muslim brothers who believe that reading Rumi is haram because he talks about drinking wine. As for me, I understood the meaning of the story and enjoyed it.

Salam

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2005 at 6:49am
Originally posted by rami rami wrote:

As this amazing incident unfolded before me, I thought to myself that this must be a very pious man. I approached him to request for duaas

Asking a person to make du�aa� for you who you think will have his du�aa�s answered, either because of his righteousness or because he is going to a place where one hopes his du�aa�s will be answered, such as traveling or going for Hajj or �Umrah, etc., is OK in principle. But if there is the fear that something that is not right may result from it, such as the person who makes the request relying on the person whom he has asked, or always relying on other people with regard to matters in which he should call on his Lord, or there is the fear that the person of whom the request is made may become arrogant and think that he has reached such a level that people ask him to make du�aa� for them, then this is sufficient reason not to do this, because in this case it leads to something that is not right. If it does not lead to something that is not right, then in principle it is permissible, but still we say that it should not be done, because it was not the custom of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) to ask one another to make du�aa� for one another. The hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is reported to have said to �Umar, �Do not forget us in your du�aa�, O my brother� (reported by Abu Dawood, no. 1498, and al-Tirmidhi, no. 3557) is a weak hadeeth and there is no proof that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said this.

With regard to the fact that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to make du�aa� for them, it is well-known that no one else can reach the level of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so when �Ukaashah ibn Muhsan asked him to pray that he would be one of those who would enter Paradise without being called to account or being punished, he said, �You will be one of them� (reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 6541; Muslim, no. 216, 218, 220), and when another man came and asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to ask Allaah to send them rain, he did so (reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 1013; Muslim, 897).

With regard to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) advising his companions to ask Uways al-Qurani to make du�aa� for them, this undoubtedly applied only in his case, and it is known that Uways was not on the same level as Abu Bakr or �Umar or �Uthmaan or �Ali, or other Sahaabah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not tell anyone among his Sahaabah to ask anyone to make du�aa� for them.

To sum up, we can say: there is no sin in asking someone to make du�aa� for you that you hope will have his du�aa� answered, on the condition that this does not involve anything that is wrong, but it is better and more appropriate not to do this.

Liqa� al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn �Uthaymeen, 212 (www.islam-qa.com)

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2005 at 4:31am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Allah's Mercy

Imam Raazi rahmatullahi alayhi has written a story narrated by a pious person. The person narrated, �One evening I was walking along the riverbank, suddenly my eyes fell upon a scorpion walking in front of me. A thought occurred to me that this is also the Creation of Allah Ta�ala and Allah Ta�ala has created it out of some wisdom and reason. I did not know where it was coming from and where it was going to, or where its home was. I thought in my heart that I have got time; I have come out for a walk, so I will follow this scorpion. Therefore, I followed it. The scorpion stopped at one point on the riverbank and I stood near it. 

After a short while I saw a tortoise swimming towards the scorpion. To my surprise, the scorpion jumped on to the back of the tortoise and mounted itself on it. As this was an extraordinary occurrence, I was determined to see where the scorpion would go. I also tagged along to see what happens.

The scorpion jumped off the tortoise's back at the other side of the riverbank and hurried along in a certain direction. Further on I saw a man sleeping under a tree. I thought to myself that the scorpion might bite the man; therefore, I should quickly awaken him. Just as I reached him, I saw a poisonous snake with its mouth wide-open standing by the head of the man. Suddenly the scorpion confronted the snake and stung it so decisively, that the snake fell onto the ground helpless.

As this amazing incident unfolded before me, I thought to myself that this must be a very pious man. I approached him to request for duaas but was astonished to find him in a state of drunkenness. Just then the man woke up, and I narrated to him the incident that had just taken place. The man was very touched by what he heard and immediately repented. Allah's Mercy is always directed towards His bondsmen, only if we were to turn towards him.� 

(Riyadul Jannah � December 2002)
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic