IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Similarities between Islam and Hinduism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between Islam and Hinduism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similarities between Islam and Hinduism
    Posted: 14 June 2005 at 4:48am

Asalam Aalaikum,

Are their any similarities between Islam and Hinduism?
Dr.Zakir Naik,the most knowledgable Muslim Scholar of our time who has done intensive research on Islam and comparitive religions has explained his comparitive study between Islam and Hinduism infront of the audience in one of his lectures. He explained the concept of God from both religions ,and showed that the doctrine of oneness of God is also present in one of the most authentic and reliable sources of Hindu religion like "Vedas" and other sources.

Lets discuss this lecture of Dr.Zakir and I hope that even our Hindu friends will actively participate in this discussion.

People from all faith are welcome to this thread .

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:40pm
Hello Unity1!

I strongly believe in Unity of all religions. And there are similarities among the religions.

I would try to know about Dr. Zakir Naik and his research. I sincerely feel that Vedas should not be considered as Hindu texts and they cannot be the basis to know Hinduism. Vedas, by their very meaning,are infinite. They have no beginning and they have no end. They need an infinte set of alphabet to be written. I would say that we were only partially successful in writing them.

Their are various philosophies in the Hindu religion. The similarities I know are,
1. Oneness of God
2. Concept of Heaven and Hell.

But concept of God in Hinduism and Islam are completely different. In Hinduism God has to be realized rather than followed. Hinduism's goal is not to reach Heaven, the goal is to reach God.

Hindus have a great much literature compared to the Muslims.

The primary difference between Abrahamic religions and East Asian religions is that of "Reincarnation" or "Rebirth". And unlike Abrahamic religions, East Asian religions have no quarrels among one another and fulfill each other.

Regards,

Aparichitudu.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 11:01am

My Dear bro The One,

This is indeed a strange view concering Vedas, though I have very little knowledge about them. So then what is the source or basis of hinduism? Gita or what? I thought the great philosophical description of oneness of God is found only in the Vedas, but surprisingly you don't attribute this to vedas. Just see what a Hindu website tells us about Vedas http://www.katha.org/Academics/Advaita-PT-I.html

How about the concept of numerous dieties/demigods in hinduism? What's their origin and how does it fit into over all philosophy of One God?

Secondly, what do you mean by realization of One God and not followed? But then you talked about reaching God and not heaven, does it mean that one becomes God or what? Kindly be specific, if you can? 

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 11:39am

Dear Unity 1,

I have (briefly) reviewed the section of Dr. Zakir Naik's website that deals with FAQ's from Hindu's regarding Islam. I have no objections (from what I read) to his answers, however, I certainly do not agree that he is " the most knowledgable Muslim Scholar of our time". His website is not bad, however, I have seen much better (and more informative) ones.

Frankly, I (myself) and not very interested in responding to Hindu's. I know little about Hinduism, however, the little I know is sufficient for me to recognize that it has little value for me.

I am only responding because I am concerned that people will confuse your point, and think that you mean that the value of Hinduism and Islam is somehow comparible. This is certainly not the case. In fact, Dr. Naik does a good job of clarifying this point (in the section referenced). The fact of "la illaha illala" (there is not God but God) is well known by all people from the time of birth. Even Christians claim monotheism and in the same breath say "God is Three" (Triune ).

It is the second part of the shahada (Mohammad an RasulAllah) that Hindu's (and non-Muslims) will not accept to to their pride and arrogance. They may read the Quran and try to point to the universal truths contained in it, however, when it comes to the ayat the forbid alcohol, gambling, fornication, or enjoin prayer, fasting and modesty they will gladly accept the title of non-Muslim. As a result, Allah (s.w.a) does not guide them or purify them and their hearts remain closed to the light of Islam. That is their own choice, leave them to it.

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 8:34pm
Hey Ali!

We are not discussing which religion is better. We are just looking at the similarities. Here no one is asking anyone to accept their opinion. We are just looking at the similarities.

Ignorance is the root cause of all evil.

Aparichithudu.
saalih View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2005 at 9:18pm
hindues worship many things which is a great sin in islam. i think their are no things islam and hiduism have in common. from my knowledge.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 8:00am

Originally posted by shakur shakur wrote:

hindues worship many things which is a great sin in islam. i think their are no things islam and hiduism have in common. from my knowledge.

My dear brother Shakur,

One can increase their knowledge about others through reading about them and knowing about them with fruitful discussions. Hence one may avoid giving their judgemental remarks untill or unless they can justify their claims through logical arguments from their knowledge about others. It is the purpose of this knowledge enhancement that we all are getting togather in this forum. Without doing this, how can we increase our knowledge?

saalih View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 12:53pm
increase your knowlege about what, what hiduis worshiped.  hiduis are outright enemies of islam and killed many muslims, they oppressed muslims in kashmiir. they burn the quran 24/7. somethings are better not learned and should be just left alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic