IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Similarities between Islam and Hinduism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between Islam and Hinduism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2005 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by The One The One wrote:

This is an Islamic forum and if you want to know about Hinduism you have to go to a Hindu forum. This is logical.  You cannot blame me of not answering you.  I have done what I can do.  I have to be in the limits in this forum.

Probably you are right, not from the limitations of the forum, but from the limitations of your own time and effort. Nevertheless, I still appreciate whatever I am getting here.

"...otherwise on whom someone can put faith onto?"

My religion is not based on dogmas.  Nor it is based on books.  It is based on pure reason. God is One for everyone.  If I want anything I will approach God directly.  No need of any medium between me and God.  My religion teaches faith in faith itself."

But then, what is the source of your religion? Don't use allegory to avoid this direct question. Without the philosophy of Vedas to say oneness of God, from where else you come to know about this reality? So, for this faith one has to have a reliable source to put his belief untill or unless one is claiming himself to have direct communication from God. I hope you are not claiming yourself to be one of them.

"Since I believed in Prophet Mohammad, hence believed in the Quran. Without having faith in Mohammad, faith in Quran can never be established. Isn't it logical?"

I want to know somethings here.  What if Mohammad were forgotten just like we don't have the names of 124000 other prophets?  Then what will be the situation of faith in Quran?  And what if we do really have previous lives, i.e., rebirth of the soul, and it were proved? Then does the faith cease?

I really couldn't get your point. What do you mean by forgotten Mohammad? Forgotten by whom? On the more, who told you there are previous lives? Is this not a anonymous belief?

"...might have changed it?"

When their is no need of a book or anything else, I don't even bother if everything of it is changed or even lost.

How can you say such a thing, especially all your beliefs are from Vedas? It is definitely a surprising answer for me.

"So, in a nut shell, all this info is highly essential for anyone (more for hindus themselves that for any outsider) to put his faith on it."

Most of the Hindus don't know Sanskrit and they don't even know what is written in the Vedas.  So conclude whatever you want to conclude. 

I don't know if this shows any relevence to your point that books are useless in hinduism, but it does show, ignorance of vedic teachings is the root problem in hinduism as only then it leads to what they believe in several deities. Isn't it?

Gita is exclusive of Krishna being man or God.  Gita is not at all allegorical and it does not contain any dogmas.  So Krishna becomes less important than Gita.

At this time I have no knowledge of Gita to validate your comments. Hence leave this topic here for some other time.

"Do you really think its not a myth (atleast the way it was narrated) but a fact?"

Even if the historicity of the whole thing is proved to be absolutely false today, it will not in the least be any loss to us.  I am more bothered about the ideals.  Have a look at the Gita and you will know what I mean.

Aparichithudu.

By "ideals", I think, you are trying to kill two birds with one stone. Though, you may escape anonymity as far as these ideals are of physical significance but what about those which are pure spiritually based? For example, the concept of multiple rebirths etc etc.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 6:38am
...limitations of your own time and effort.

Whatever...

But then, what is the source of your religion? Don't use allegory to avoid this direct question.

When did I use any allegory?

"source of religion"?  Can you tell me what religion is if you can?

Without the philosophy of Vedas to say oneness of God, from where else you come to know about this reality? So, for this faith one has to have a reliable source to put his belief untill or unless one is claiming himself to have direct communication from God.

Is it an obligation that one should lay one's belief on someone's writing or someone's saying?  Can't we know God by ourselves?  I did not get your point.

I hope you are not claiming yourself to be one of them.

What do you mean?

What do you mean by forgotten Mohammad? Forgotten by whom?

Forgotten by people.

On the more, who told you there are previous lives? Is this not a anonymous belief?

No one told me that there are previous lives. What do you mean by anonymous belief?

How can you say such a thing, especially all your beliefs are from Vedas? It is definitely a surprising answer for me.

Who told you that my beliefs are from Vedas?

ignorance of vedic teachings is the root problem in hinduism as only then it leads to what they believe in several deities. Isn't it?

I did not understand.

Though, you may escape anonymity as far as these ideals are of physical significance but what about those which are pure spiritually based?

What do you mean by "pure spiritually based"?

I apologize, my answers are more in the form of questions.  This is because, I am unable to understand what you want.  If you can answer the above, I can be more precise in answering.

Aparichithudu.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 1:23pm
I think my comments are self explanatory untill or unless one is intentionally not interested in answering them. So if you felt offended by my questions, then we can discontinue this discussion than wasting each others time. For example asking the definition of religion is kind of such reflections on ones intentions. I think, its a best way of avoiding tough questions when every think presented is not all that rosy. Isn't it?
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 7:32am
Ahmad, I am not at all offended by your questions.  Your comments(questions) are not at all self explanatory considering that people have different views and opinions.  I asked you about religion because I wanted to know your view about religion.  I want to know about your view regarding religion, spirituality etc. so that I can be more precise in my answers which helps both of us even with respect to time.  And if the post were short, I could easily read them and reply promptly.

Aparichithudu.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 6:48pm
Bro The One, its no use to do hair spliting of my questions. Look you already use this word "religion" in your earlier replies when you said "My religion teaches faith in faith itself." . So how difficult it is for you to reply a simple and straight forward questions? Kindly use common sense if you are interested. Thanks.
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 9:48am
Ahmad, when did I hair split your questions?  I was asking about what is your view about religion.  Is it a big question? This is because, what I call religion is philosophy which is totally rational.  For us religion is not a blind belief in a book or books or even in someone's divinity or prophethood.  I am totally confused when you say "pure spiritually based" because what would be religion without spirituality.  I was just replying with my own point of view and you are unable to understand.

For example, "What if Mohammad were forgotten just like we don't have the names of 124000 other prophets?  Then what will be the situation of faith in Quran?"  This is a simple straight forward question.  But you are unable to understand it.  So I thought I was not using the correct logic or language while talking to you.

So I am a lot confused kiddo.

If we take one point at a time, it will be profitable and we can understand about both of our religions easily.  I think thats why this topic was started by someone.

Aparichithudu.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by The One The One wrote:

.........This is because, what I call religion is philosophy which is totally rational.  For us religion is not a blind belief in a book or books or even in someone's divinity or prophethood. 

Ok now I see as what you are trying to imply by this rationality in religion and hence you don't need the book/s. Continuing in this direction, my dear brother, rationality is not a unique attribute for a truth. That is to say, though it is a necessary condition but not a sufficient condition. As one can say with certain confidence that though, almost all religions claim to based on some rationality one way or the other, but the most important thing to know is who is behind that rationality? A human mind or a divine origin? Therefore, it is in this regard that I always asked for the source of your so called "rational philosophy". I hope you may now get the idea as why this source is so important; simply because human philosophy, how rational it may be, is still a human creation and therefore always remain within the bounds of physical perception. On the other hand, those religions are at more stronger footing who claim to have a divine knowledge (which ofcouse have to be based upon rational philosophy) with them because the divinity is not bounded by physical limitations. 

Quote  I am totally confused when you say "pure spiritually based" because what would be religion without spirituality.  I was just replying with my own point of view and you are unable to understand.
For example, "What if Mohammad were forgotten just like we don't have the names of 124000 other prophets?  Then what will be the situation of faith in Quran?"  This is a simple straight forward question.  But you are unable to understand it.  So I thought I was not using the correct logic or language while talking to you.

So my bro The One, if Mohammad were forgotten by the people, then the message of Allah would not have spread and people would still be living in darkness. Though, the truth would still be there, but the guidance to recognise it would not have been available.

So I am a lot confused kiddo.

If we take one point at a time, it will be profitable and we can understand about both of our religions easily.  I think thats why this topic was started by someone.

Aparichithudu.

I hope now I have made it nearly one point and that is the source of your guidance (or as you say the rational philosophy) and its authenticity? 

Edited by AhmadJoyia
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2005 at 8:14am
Brother Ahmad Joyia, sorry for taking so long to reply.  Now I am done with my project.  I am free on the day of my country's independence.

Regarding your questions, I feel they are quite interesting.  Even your line of reasoning is good though not linear.

"... rationality is not a unique attribute for a truth."

Can I know what are the other attributes of truth according to you?

"... but the most important thing to know is who is behind that rationality? A human mind or a divine origin?"

I do not understand by the way you say, "who is behind that rationality?".  Rationality is a quality of a human being.  Man is said to be a rational being, isn't it?  We cannot base our rationality on other's rationality.  Even if we base it, it is with our own rationality with which we are basing our belief.  And sometimes rationality is dictated by our emotions.  So we have to control our emotions to be perfectly rational.  For this reason, we are asked to meditate.  Now it is upto us to base our belief on meditation or not.  I do not meditate just because Sri Krishna asked me to meditate.  Neither Krishna asks us to believe him blindly nor any Hindu believes him blindly.  We believe him because he has clearly given us the reasons.  He has clearly explained why we should meditate, what is the state of mind, why we feel sometimes happy and sometimes sad, what is the purpose of everything, purpose of life etc.

And even now I would say that it is just an attempt.  If anyone proves rationally that our rationality to be fictitious, I would gladly say that I would love to be rational and I would try to change my belief.  This is so easy for me because my religion asks me to believe in myself than in someone's belief.  If I am wrong I can change myself easily.

But after all this, I would say that what Sri Krishna said was true.  If I am wrong in my statement, let it be.  I believe that Satyameva jayate.  It means "Truth alone triumphs".  So I am not afraid to be wrong.

"A human mind or a divine origin? Therefore, it is in this regard that I always asked for the source of your so called "rational philosophy"."

I would like to say one point here.  We have a different concept of God from the concept you hold.  We do not have a concept of Creation, but we have a concept of Projection.  We do not say that everything is created by God, but we say that everything is God.  There is nothing as a human origin of things or a divine origin of things.

Our philosophy is hard to understand, but it is never allegorical.  You once said that I was allegorical, but I was never ever allegorical.  So when you say "A human mind or a divine origin", the question becomes interesting(though meaningless and childish question).

Even if anything is of a divine origin, it has to come out from a human being.  Then how can we know that it is of a divine origin?  Now the rationality of the mind comes into picture.  Where ever we go, we have to be rational, and we, most of the time, have a conflict with our emotions.

A person may be a good person, but if he speaks out irrationally, then he might be speaking with his emotions or limited experience.  So finally it will be upto us to decide(choose) whether it has to be accepted or rejected.

"I hope you may now get the idea as why this source is so important; simply because human philosophy, how rational it may be, is still a human creation and therefore always remain within the bounds of physical perception."

I think I have atleast attempted to be near to the "source question".  And now what you mean by this "physical perception".  If you are regarding to the five senses, then I would tell that those five senses are limited to the body and not to the mind.

There are different states of mind which we are taught of.  And now modern science is slowly picking up in this field.  They say that at different states of mind different types of brain waves are released by the brain.  And we can do miracles if we can control our mind.  In fact it is reported that even Mohammad meditated in a cave. 

And as Sri Krishna says, science of meditation is the oldest of science(even this statement can be taken as a mere statement without proof, it is upto us to believe it or not, even if this is not true,  it will not effect our quest for truth).  And every human being has a mind, a rational mind, an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent mind.  This is what even the present science says to us without any doubt.

So every human being can know the truth for every soul is potentially divine.

"On the other hand, those religions are at more stronger footing who claim to have a divine knowledge (which ofcouse have to be based upon rational philosophy) with them because the divinity is not bounded by physical limitations. "

Can I know those religions "which claim to have a divine knowledge" which say they are rational?  Because as we have seen what you call "divine knowledge" cannot be proved to be divine in origin.

One more point, even mind does not have physical limitations.

"...people would still be living in darkness."

What darkness do you mean?

"
Though, the truth would still be there, but the guidance to recognise it would not have been available."

Here, what truth are you talking about?

"
I hope now I have made it nearly one point and that is the source of your guidance (or as you say the rational philosophy) and its authenticity? "

I would still insist that, atleast for me, the source is myself.  I sometimes refer to Swami Vivekananda and Sri Krishna.  And for most of my colleagues, it is Sri Krishna, precisely, Bagavadh Gita.

Aparichithudu.

Edited by The One
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic