IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Similarities between Islam and Hinduism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between Islam and Hinduism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 11:44am
Salam to Ahmad bhai!

I have replied all other posts of yours. Sorry for not replying to this post.

I am kinda busy with this hectic work hours. Thats all.

Basis of Hinduism? If you are asking about the philosophy which we follow, then its completely Vedas. But philosophy is totally different from practices. When I said Vedas should not be considered as Hindu texts, I was saying that what is attributed now as "idol worship" should not be attributed to Vedas.
Got the point?

Vedic religion is different from the Hindu religion. People think that Vedic religion is a part of Hindu religion, but its vice versa. I say this because "Hindu" is not at all a local word. It was incorporated in the lingo after the conquest of Muslims. You call us Hindus, but we call ourselves Dharmins. You call Hinduism, we call Sanatana Dharma.

I even said that they are without begining and without end. This says it all. Vedic religion is not a historical religion. It always existed. There is no word exclusively to mean "religion" in any of the Indian languages and perhaps the East Asian languages.

The website you gave is about Advaita Philosophy, one of the philosophy of Vedas. I am the follower of Advaita and my post does not contradict with Advaita.

You asked me, "How about the concept of numerous dieties/demigods in hinduism?" Dieties and demigods are attributes of the One. God is One, but Its attributes are many.

You also asked, "....what do you mean by realization of One God and not followed?" Can you tell me what is meant by followed? Do you mean to say that "just believe blindly that God exists and It is One"? Concept of God is the most hard to understand. You cannot make others to understand that there is God etc. One has to realise by themselves mostly through introspection. God is the nearest to us. Don't you think God will answer us when we ask questions? He is the all Seer and Hearer.

Space and time are both part of creation. So when we talk about eternal life after death, we should not consider both time and space. The Creation has to return to the Source(God). When we return to God, what is the need of heaven etc.?

Aparichithudu.

Edited by The One
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 12:02pm
Peace to Shakur.

Aparichithudu.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 9:32am

Originally posted by The One The One wrote:

Salam to Ahmad bhai!

I have replied all other posts of yours. Sorry for not replying to this post.

I am kinda busy with this hectic work hours. Thats all.

Basis of Hinduism? If you are asking about the philosophy which we follow, then its completely Vedas. But philosophy is totally different from practices. When I said Vedas should not be considered as Hindu texts, I was saying that what is attributed now as "idol worship" should not be attributed to Vedas.
Got the point?

So you mean there is drastic difference in theory and practice among hindus. Hmm......That is understandable.

Vedic religion is different from the Hindu religion.

Now, this statement is again confusing. Though the terminology may be different depending upon who named it, but its the belief or doctrine that defines the religion. Now, if you mean Vedic religion comes from Vedas, then from which doctrine comes the Hinduism?

Quote People think that Vedic religion is a part of Hindu religion, but its vice versa.

So, do you mean there may be other religions, other than Hindu religion, that are part of Vedic religion? Though its interesting to know it, but can you provide some examples of them?

Quote  I say this because "Hindu" is not at all a local word. It was incorporated in the lingo after the conquest of Muslims. You call us Hindus, but we call ourselves Dharmins. You call Hinduism, we call Sanatana Dharma.

Hey, my brother, you have yet introduced another term for the religion which is totally unfamiliar, at least to me. I think, though others named you "Hindu" but then should have called yourself "Vedic", but I see another term coming up. What do you mean? Can you differentiate them (Hinduism, or Dharmins) based on their doctrines?

I even said that they are without begining and without end. This says it all. Vedic religion is not a historical religion. It always existed. There is no word exclusively to mean "religion" in any of the Indian languages and perhaps the East Asian languages.

This is no explanation for your statement of "without begining and without end". Kindly provide some details on it. Secondly why are you discussing Vedic religion (in general) whereas the topic of this thread is similarities between Islam and Hinduism specifically (if there are grave differences between the two) and not the Vedic.

The website you gave is about Advaita Philosophy, one of the philosophy of Vedas. I am the follower of Advaita and my post does not contradict with Advaita.

So you mean, you are not hindu but a follower of Vedic religion whatever you call it if not 'Religion'. Hmm!! But then you called yourself Dharmins or from "Sanatana Dharma". This is more confusing than ever since in the beginning of your postings elsewhere on this forum, you indicated you are hindu and thence onward we came to this thread to discuss about Hinduism.

You asked me, "How about the concept of numerous dieties/demigods in hinduism?" Dieties and demigods are attributes of the One. God is One, but Its attributes are many.

Are you are saying this with regard to Vedic religion (and assuming it to be same as hinduism)? Am I right? Secondly, What are these attributes of One God in "hinduism" or Vedic religion. Only from my own limited knowledge, therefore may be wrong, many animals are worshipped in Hinduism and not just their symbols. So how can they become the attributes of one God? e.g. what does a monkey signify in terms of attributes of the one God? or for that matter the cow or a snake or the 3 headed beast and many more........to just name the few?

You also asked, "....what do you mean by realization of One God and not followed?" Can you tell me what is meant by followed? Do you mean to say that "just believe blindly that God exists and It is One"? Concept of God is the most hard to understand. You cannot make others to understand that there is God etc. One has to realise by themselves mostly through introspection. God is the nearest to us. Don't you think God will answer us when we ask questions? He is the all Seer and Hearer.

This is just a partial answer to my question, though its interesting and thus beautiful. The other half of the question is, how do you follow this belief or concept? That is outward reflection of this introspection. Why the demi-gods or devatas? Why not directly to this One God through one's own introspection? 

Space and time are both part of creation. So when we talk about eternal life after death, we should not consider both time and space.

Why? Do you mean eternity implies cessation of creation? That is not logical. Isn't it?

Quote The Creation has to return to the Source(God). When we return to God, what is the need of heaven etc.?
Aparichithudu.

There are lot of missing links from your earlier statements to reach to this one. Nevertheless, when you say that "creation has to return to God", I would argue that this creation was never away from God.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 12:01pm
Salam alaikum Ahmad Joyia,

Good God! This is a pretty big post.

After reading your posts, I would say that you confuse yourself. Somewhere in the middle of the post you said, "...we came to this thread to discuss about Hinduism." You are a lot confused about everything. I never invited anyone to discuss Hinduism or never said that I am here to discuss Hinduism.

Elsewhere you said, "...why are you discussing Vedic religion (in general) whereas the topic of this thread is similarities between Islam and Hinduism specifically..." I did not start anything about Vedic religion, I only answered your question.

And elsewhere you said, "That is not logical." Now I am really confused on what you really want to discuss. Are you interested in discussing religion or philosophy?Religion is a set of beliefs, not necessarily proven beliefs, and Philosophy is based on logic and reasoning and completely proven. There can be no arguement about religion. Religion is a choice based on one's interests and likings. That choice turns into a habit. Religion is never based on argumentation or reason. Whereas philosophy is based on argumentation. It is completely based on logic and reasoning. But remember God is beyond argumentation. But everything else can be argued.

First be clear in what you want and then question.

People believe what they want to believe and not what is preached. The difference between theory and practice exists in every religion. Even a man who is intellectually brilliant cannot comprehend God because intellect itself is a part of creation. God is the nearest and sees all and knows all, so It/He/She knows better.

I have not answered 'cos you are not clear in what you want to know. Please specify what you want to discuss, religion or philosophy. I will gladly answer you.

Aparichithudu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 9:02am

My Dear Bro The One,

I think I have already preferred discussing theory of religion over practices. Also, I can discuss the philosophy only if it is also considered part of the theory for preaching but not if it is derived out of the theory by some later day saints etc. However, due to my limited knowledge, sometime, I may refer to some practices but you can correct me if they are not supported by the authentic theory.

The confusion started when the differences between Vedas and Hinduism is made without elaborating on these differences and that too without even pointing out your preferences as there could be many other deviations in the religious beliefs to which one may not particularly associate with. Hopefully this shall now provide you enough to respond to my comments.  

The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 10:03am
Hey Ahmad,

So you want to discuss both religion and philosophy. Thats interesting. I ain't any scholar. What I know, I can tell you. But I don't know where to start.

Aparichithudu.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 1:05pm

Bro The One,

I think you can begin with answering my questions, if you can. Or you can let me know some basics of your beliefs such as Oneness of God viz a viz the status of dieties or demi-gods in your faith. Also educate me as to what is the difference between Upanishad and the vedas that you highlighted elsewhere but the Adviata website subclassify Upanishads as Vedic literature related to Philosophy. Similarly, I saw you refering Gita in your quotes. What is the status of this book according to your faith? Is this not a part of larger epic called Mahabharta or what? Since there are so many things to know, don't get overwhelmed with them and start from anywhere you like and we shall continue on this road as long as you wish. May the One God be with us. Amen. 

The One View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:44am
Hello Ahmad!

I don't know the origin of dieties or demi-gods. As Sri Krishna says its contrary to the injunctions, so people who follow such things fall.

I don't think the website you gave is a Advaita website. Vedas are huge volumes of books and we lost most of them, though we have not lost them forever. The classification is of the volumes we are left with. I said Vedas are infinite, they are everything. They do not only contain philosophy, they contain much more. Upanishads are the commentaries on the philosophy present in the Vedas. Upanishads speak of many different philosophies.

Bagavadh Gita was said by Sri Krishna. It contains some of the philosophies of the Upanishads. It is a part of the Mahabharata. Bagavadh Gita is considered just like you consider Quran(though it contains only a little part of Vedas). It is so because, Gita is the easiest to understand and considers various philosophies at once.

Aparichithudu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic