IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "phub" etymology  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"phub" etymology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 11:57am

seekshidayath,

Thanks for the reply!

I had not run into the "hadith" that you mentioned. Is "hadith" considered on the same level as the Quran? If you are familiar with the Christian Bible, would you equate "hadith" with the books of the New Testament that supplement the four Gospels, such as those of Paul, Peter, etc?

joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

SignReader,

Thanks for the information! My lack of knowledge about Islam and Muslim terms usually prompts more questions when I receive a reply.

When you use the term "believer", or the Quran uses, "ye that believe", to whom does that apply? Is it only those who profess belief in the religion of Islam, or does it include all who profess belief in the God of Abraham, such as Jews and Christians?

Hi, I hope you don't mind I answer this question. In my understanding when Quran refers "O you who believe" or as a "believer", it mean those who believe: in Oneness of God, and submitt to the will of God, and believe in all of God's messangers (from Adam through Noah through Moses through Jesus and Mohammed (pbut) and believe in the message given to them was from God.

Now those we know now as Jews did not accept two of God's prophets, Jesus and Mohammed (pbut) neither the message they brought.

Those we know as Christians now did not accept Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) to be from God, neither the message he brought.

But those who accept them all as God's prophets, and submitt thier will only to God, and none else are refered as "believers" in the Quran.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

Regards,

Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:27pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Thankyou Brother Hasan for not answering my part. I would not let my oppurtunity to else.

Jusakin, we appreciate your  efforts to study Islam. You are replying us with lots of attention and patience.

Coming to your question regarding hadith - No, i don't know much of christianity. I have n't gone into its books. But yes, to explain what hadith is here is its explanation

Hadith,are the teachings, sayings, and actions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad ( SAW ), meticulously reported and collected by his devoted companions, explain and elaborate the Qu'ranic verses. The Messenger's life is an example for all Muslims, or those who accept Islam, to follow. Whatever the Messenger (saas) did, said, or approved of is a source of Islam just as much as the Qur'an. The Messenger's role is not overemphasized: his life was dictated by what the Creator desired, and the Messenger did not add or subtract to Islam according to his own personal whim. His life was such that his wife called him "a walking Qur'an."

The Qur'an and Sunnah are the only two mediums by which Allah has directly taught us about Islam. This leads us to the following simple but critical principle

You can keep asking any of your doubts.

I read at an other thread that your grandson is also studying Islam. It was very nice to know that. A special bond is also shared between you and your grandson, that makes the relations strong.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 11:10pm

Hasan,

Thank you for that explanation! Would you mind giving me your interpretation of "Book"? I see the term "people of the Book", and "the Book" in the Quran, but do not know the meaning. While doing a search for the term, I see in 2:02, "This is the Book ...", and in 2:87 it states, " We gave Moses the Book ...", so I don't know if it refers to the Quran, or the Tanakh, or perhaps some other meaning.

joe
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 11:43pm

seekshidayath,

Thank you again for the explanation of hadith. I can appreciate your desire to emulate your prophet. As Christians we also attempt to follow the examples and exhortations of Jesus. Both of us have difficult tasks, but with God's help we can make much progress.

One of my grandsons is at the age of spiritual inquiry and we thought it would be good to examine other faiths as well as his own. Islam and Judaism proclaim belief in the God of Abraham, and we are investigating why we do not all see Him the same way. Since grandson has a difficult time expressing himself or following the replies from the forum, I thought I might ask a few questions and pass the information on to him ..... as well as learning more of Islam for myself.

I appreciate the answers I have received so far, and we are both learning much.

joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

Hasan,

Thank you for that explanation! Would you mind giving me your interpretation of "Book"? I see the term "people of the Book", and "the Book" in the Quran, but do not know the meaning. While doing a search for the term, I see in 2:02, "This is the Book ...", and in 2:87 it states, " We gave Moses the Book ...", so I don't know if it refers to the Quran, or the Tanakh, or perhaps some other meaning.

Hi Joe,

sorry, I did not see this question until now. In my understanding the word "the book" in Quran refers to the word of God given to the prophets. We Muslims believe that God's word or message was same in nature in all times from Adam to Mohammed (pbut), to bring people back to the worship of their Creator and how to live this life according to the will of God.

Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:15pm

Hasan,

OK! Thank you!

joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic