IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "phub" etymology  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"phub" etymology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "phub" etymology
    Posted: 24 March 2008 at 8:22am

Would someone be kind enough to explain why Muslims attach to the name of Muhammad, the phrase "peace be upon him", or variations such as "saw", "pbuh", etc.? I find it puzzling that extra attention be placed faithfully on the mention of his name, and occassionally other prophets as well, but not on the mention of "Allah". I would expect emphasis on the Creator rather than the created; something on the order of how Jews will not spell out entirely the name of God as a sign of respect.

joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

Would someone be kind enough to explain why Muslims attach to the name of Muhammad, the phrase "peace be upon him", or variations such as "saw", "pbuh", etc.? I find it puzzling that extra attention be placed faithfully on the mention of his name, and occassionally other prophets as well, but not on the mention of "Allah". I would expect emphasis on the Creator rather than the created; something on the order of how Jews will not spell out entirely the name of God as a sign of respect.

Hi,

you are right about where the emphesis should be and it is that way in Islam. I think you just misunderstood. Muslims praise God all the time. We don't praise our beloved prophet or any of God's prophets for a matter of fact. What you are refering to translates somewhat like this when mentioned followed by the name of any of God's prophets, i.e.  Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus of Mohammad (pbut): May God's peace and blessings be upon them, or him if its one.

Unlike jews and christians of this era, muslims have been regarding all of God's messagers as guides and teachers for mankind and put them in a more respectful position than anyone else. So any time we address them by name we ask God to grant His peace and blessings on that messenger. Thus we also affirm that they were human like us and needed God's blessings.

Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 12:12pm

Hasan,

Thanks for the reply! And although this may sound argumentative, I do not mean it so. What reasoning or teachings do Muslims use to ask God "to grant His peace and blessings on that messenger"? The person has passed from this life to the next, and it would seem that his/her destiny has been determined. Do Muslims understand the existence of individuals in the hereafter as needing blessings from God, prompted by earthly beings? Catholic Christians used to believe, and still may, that prayers from people here on earth affect the eternal destiny of those who have died; is this Muslim practice somewhat like that?

And a related question: do Muslims also ask God's blessings on others that have died, such as loved ones or family members?

joe
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:25pm

Jusaskin, that is true. We do request Allah to forgive and bless the living and the deceased, young or old, male or female. In that respect we may be like Catholics. We believe that our prayers can help those who have passed away. While they cannot pray for us any more because they have passed away.

As we pray for the blessings of allah on the prophets and our prophet Muhammad, that blessing for them all is increasing day by day and mounting.

jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:50pm

minuteman,

Thank you for the explanation! A further question if I may. Does the belief that prayers help the deceased originate directly from the Quran, or is it more of a traditional belief? In other words, does the Quran tell you to pray for the dead, and if so would you site the passage? I have a copy of "The Noble Quran in the English Language", but have some difficulty finding things on my own.

joe
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 6:42pm

What reasoning or teachings do Muslims use to ask God "to grant His peace and blessings on that messenger"?

I would like to add my two cents on this one if I may:
Allah (swt) instructed the true believers that should make a practice of this act according to the follow verse in holy Quraan:
Al-Ahzab (The Confederates)

33:56 Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect.

Since all acts are being recorded; this is a no brainier no cost high yield investment cuz the return is ten fold blessings for the believers own safety here now in this world and his intercession guarantee on the day of reckoning plus a fill of the cup from his reservoir when one would need most.

And a related question: do Muslims also ask God's blessings on others that have died, such as loved ones or family members?

Of course; If you read the end part of five daily prayers the believer performs,  a prayer that Prophet Ibrahim( Abraham)(as) said  and that goes as follows:
O Lord, make me  and my children stead fast in prayer. O Lord, accept my prayer. Our Lord forgive me and my parents and the believers on the day of judgment.

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:56pm

Hi Jusakin,

You are welcome to ask any of your doubts. And also continue with the Noble Quran. Is it with the interpretations of meanings too ? If it is, then you must have seen this hadith repeated  many times.

The Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "When a person dies, all his deeds come to an end except three: sadaqah jaariyah (ongoing charity, e.g. a waqf or endowment), beneficial knowledge (which he has left behind), or a righteous child who will pray for him." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no 1376; he said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)

But giving charity on behalf of the deceased is better than reading Qur�aan for them, just as making du�a  for them and seeking forgiveness for them is better than other deeds.  Like the dua shared by Bro.Sign reader. And also make other beautiful duas { prayers} for him. We ask Allah swt for there salvation from hell fire too.

There is a hadith in which Prophet { peace and blessings of Allah be upon him}said ," "A man�s status will be raised in Paradise and he will ask, �How did I get here?� He will be told, �By your son�s du�a�s (prayers) for forgiveness for you." 

Do continue with that copy of Noble Quran. Its simple and easy to understand. You can ask any of your doubts and get them clarified.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 11:33am

SignReader,

Thanks for the information! My lack of knowledge about Islam and Muslim terms usually prompts more questions when I receive a reply.

When you use the term "believer", or the Quran uses, "ye that believe", to whom does that apply? Is it only those who profess belief in the religion of Islam, or does it include all who profess belief in the God of Abraham, such as Jews and Christians?

joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic