IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - clothing for women equestrians....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clothing for women equestrians....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0_ironpony_0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clothing for women equestrians....
    Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:01pm

Hi,

I've been riding horses for about 14 years. I converted to islam recently, and I'm having a bit of a problem. There has to be a way to dress islamically and still be able to ride.

Traditional english riding pants are snug. I've always been what I considered a modestly dressed rider. There are people that wear sleeveless shirt or less, but I prefer sleeves, and I prefer to have my rear covered so I choose jackets that do that. The traditional kinds of english riding clothes are nothing but professional and workmanlike in my eyes and it's hard for me to really see them as being not modest.

There are women in islamic countries that ride, and not just low levels, what do they wear? This is something I cannot find on the internet. Searching for islamic riding clothes I find advertizements for horse sites on islamic sites, and ads for islamic sites on horse sites. But no answer.

Riding is more than a part time hobby to me and there has to be some sort of solution.

There are solutions for ladies swimming wear, there's got to be something for my case too.

Thank you....

Edited by 0_ironpony_0
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:49pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

assalamu alaikum

Why dont keep wearing the equestrian pants but also wear a suitable long skirt over them?

Maybe also in a white, im certain you can find the right materail for the situation and make one?

The shirt and blazer you normally wear should be fine for the top and just make shore you never take of the helmet or you are wearing a scarf when you do

im assuming the uniform looks similar to this/

http://www.sportalliance.com/Images/Ontario%20Games/Photos/e questrians.JPG

The skirt doesn't have to be full length just enough to reach the boots or close to, its manly to cover the curvature of the body more than anything else.

oh one last thing just to remove any preconceived ideas you may have ,the hijab doesn't have to be traditional islamic dress that is just a cultural thing it simply needs to fulfil the criterea of a hijab [covering certain parts of the body and not attempting to draw atention] so you can make it look as modern as you like.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 2:35am
Women in the olden days used split skirts.

Essentially these are really baggy pants that when standing kinda look like a skirt.  I've also heard them called elephant pants. http://www.abejasboutique.com/images/product/_MG_4868.jpg

I used to own a pair.  They would be just fine for riding horses.  If you are worried about catching in the stirups or saddle, Rami's idea is just fine.

Western style riding is a lot easier with baggy clothing (I know this from experience).

Also, as he said about the helmet, I would get an Al-Amira hijab or a Sports Hijab.  (http://www.thehijablady.com)

They would help.  I wouldn't worry about the jacket.  There are enough crazy romantic scenes with billowing tunics to know you can wear a loose shirt and jackets are modest.

If you're in competition....I have no idea what to suggest.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 6:33pm
Asalaamu alaikum

The westerners had it right...
Split skirts, or gauchos, first worn by the Donas of the haciendados, look like skirts when your are standing and function as pants when you ride
I have these for riding my arabians. and they do not spook.
If you wearing looser clothing and need to habituate your horses to flapping material, hang clothes, old scarves and plastic bags near wear your horses are contained, and let them flap in the wind.
Where I live with the blowing sand and the desert wind, you have to acclimate your horses. If you dont,they will spook and try to take you out under a tree when startled.
I use a one piece sports slip on amira, get one in black if you wear hibab, it will fit under your hat whatever you wear.
You do not have to wear english to ride english. Actually the pants that they wear are designed from mens pantaloons, and I do not wear mens clothing either.
Do what your heart tells you to do, sister. You should be happy with yourself.
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic