IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jesus’ new commandment  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jesus� new commandment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

This is one of a number of articles and papers that dispute Aisha's age.
Confused I don't understand your point, or the point of this article.  Are you saying that the Bukhari hadith (which clearly state that she was six when she was married and nine when the marriage was consummated) are not to be trusted?  Why would you assume that the hadith are wrong, but the other sources are right?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

This is one of a number of articles and papers that dispute Aisha's age.
Confused I don't understand your point, or the point of this article.  Are you saying that the Bukhari hadith (which clearly state that she was six when she was married and nine when the marriage was consummated) are not to be trusted?  Why would you assume that the hadith are wrong, but the other sources are right?

I'm not assuming anything, I am merely stating that given contradictory evidence we just don't know for sure. Even within the Hadith her age varies.  What I am saying is that not alot of records were kept and Aisha's age was obviously not of tantamount importance at the time.

What we do know is that she had already been betrothed once before the Prophet. We know that Islamically a female cannot be given in marriage without her consent, and she must be old enough to understand what that consent means and what marriage would entail.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 8:36am
"a female cannot be given in marriage without her consent, and she must be old enough to understand what that consent means and what marriage would entail. "

I wonder if most women knew what marriage really entailed fore they took the plunge, if they'd marry at all Shasta. They'd run like the hammers. As the saying goes, "marry in haste, repent at leisure."

I am NOT talking bout Muhammad or Aisha here.

Have given up on that one for now.

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 10:55am
Everyone,

Please stick to the topic and comply with the section and the forum rules. Please do understand that not complying with forum guidelines may result in one's suspension or even ban.

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
  Share Topic