IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - can some one teach me prayer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

can some one teach me prayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 8:13am

postamble(); Assalamu alaikum,

Lebanese, I'm so glad you asked this question so that others like myself can benefit from the responses of those who has so kindly tried to help you. 

Brothers and Sisters, here is my situation.  I had already seen the flash player version (which Suleyman so kindly shared with Sister Lebanese) of learning to do salat and I must say it was quite helpful; however, even after I watched it, I have two problems which need to be solved.  First, although I know how to say some of the words in Arabic, some of them simply baffle me as to how they should be properly pronounced and I would rather learn to say them correctly the first time than to learn them incorrectly and then have to relearn them.  As we all know, learning a new habit is much easier than forgetting a wrong one that is already instilled in us.  I know that it will take practice to say the salat in Arabic correctly; however, if I have the proper pronunciation, then I feel I would be more confident in practicing.  As it is now, I feel as if my salat sound like gibberish to Allah .  I know that the flash player has sound but the quality of the sound is so poor that I simply cannot use it to help me learn the verbal part of salat.  Second, I have read that salat is made of up of 2, 3 or 4 Rakaat depending on the time of day it is being said; however, what does that actually mean with respect to praying?  What parts get repeated with respect to what is said and how one positions oneself during salat?  The flash player does not explain that...or maybe it does and I just don't understand .

I would greatly appreciate any help I receive regarding this matter.  Right now I feel as if I am only a Mu�min  and not a Muslim since I cannot do this most important thing for Allah (swt).  I am only in Islam two months tomorrow and I have no Muslim friends where I live to help guide me.  I know that Allah (swt) is most merciful but I feel so bad not knowing how to do salat like I should.  I do have this wonderful software on my computer that actually does adhan for me when it is time to pray and I love to hear it and I feel Allah (swt) calling to me to make salat for Him�it is truly the sweetest sound my soul has ever heard.  I do wu�du and I do have prayer beads and us them to help me count when I pray Subhan Allah, Alhamdullilah, Allahu Akbar, but I need to do more.  So�

May Allah (swt) bless greatly all of those that help us new Muslims on our path to Him.  

Sister Lebanese, once again I thank you for bringing up this topic.  I hope that you are doing well on your path to Allah (swt) and that He gives you many blessings for heeding to His call to Islam.

Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatu.

PAZ

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 11:21pm

Assalam-alaikum Sr Khadija

May Allah Help you and guide you in your intentions to learn Salat as perfectly as possible. InshaAllah I will try to help you by giving you small bits of information at a time. I am glad you have learnt to perform wudu as it is a prerequiste for salat so we will not discuss it now. I will also assume you are aware of purity during salat ie of body & mind and what nullifies your wudu, if you are not aware please ask and InshaAllah I shall help.

When we perform Salat we stand in a clean place facing the Kaaba. A woman must keep her entire body covered except for her face, hands (covered upto the wrists) and feet (covered upto the ankles). The worshipper must then make the intention (Niyya) for prayer in her mind ie whether she is performing the fard (compulsory), sunna or Nafl (optional). The Niyya or intention is generally "I have intended to offer this prayer to Allah with a sincere heart facing the Kaaba".

After the intention we raise our open hands with the thumb touching the ear lobes and say "Allahu-Akbar". This is called "Takbir". Then continuing in the standing position we bring our hands down and place our right hand over our left hand just above the navel (for a woman). At this time we recite "Sana" then "Al-Fatiha" (first sura of the Qur'an) and any verse of the Qur'an after that. Then we bow down holding the knees with the hands like in a right angle. This is called "ruku". During the "ruku" we glorify Allah by saying "Subh'ana Rabbi Yal Azim" three times. Then we stand in the erect position before going down to do the prostration also called "sajda". Whilst standing up after bowing and going down to do the sajda we recite "Sami Allahu Liman Hamida" (Allah listens to him who glorifies Him) "Rabbana lakal hamd" (our Creator and sustainer all praise is for thee). When we do the sajda (prostration) we do it in such a way that both palms of the hand, the forehead, the knees and the toes of both feet are touching the ground. The elbows should be raised.

Whilst doing the sajda we say "Subbhana Rabbi Yal A'LA " three times, then you sit up and again perform another sajda repeating "Subbhana Rabbi Yal A'la" three times, then stand up to do the next rakat.

The explanation I have provided above constitutes one rakat. To be able to perform salat I suggest you first try to memorise sura fatiha ie the first sura in the Qur'an. Because this is the most important sura and without it no salat is complete.

If you have any questions or would like to move forward please let me know and InshaAllah I shall respond soon.

lebanese View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lebanese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 11:45pm

assalam allikum thank u so much for all you responses they helped me out. why is it every website i go to says something different than what im doing.so i get worried that allah wont accept my prayer even though i was taught that allah will accept salat even if u just say the fatiha in english just that the nayia is in your heart.

i still feel obligated to get the perfect way and actually it would be wonderful if some one could explain the wudu it would not do any harm.

thanks so much for your help

Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 4:42am

Wa-alaikum-Salaam Lebanese

Whilst you are in the process of learning you may falter here and there and you can pray as best as you can and seek Allah's acceptance of your prayers and forgiveness. But you must work towards learning to do your salat in Arabic by reciting the verses from the Qur'an, in the manner our beloved Prophet Mohammed (SAW) has taught us. You will have to learn to say Sura Fatiha in Arabic the language in which the Qur'an was revealed. It may seem like a formidable task at first but InshaAllah if you spend even just 10 minutes every day reciting the sura you will memorise it soon. I have been trying to get on to this website which has very good Qur'an reciters so that anyone wanting to learn the correct pronuciation can listen to it and learn, but it is not opening for me today. I'm not sure why. I will still give you the link and you can try:

http://english.islamway.com/bindex.php?section=erecitorslist

Before saying salat it is necessary to wash, in a prescribed manner those parts of the body which are generally exposed to dust and uncleanliness. This washing is called "wudu" and it has been prescribed by Allah in the Holy Qur'an.

Wudu has to be performed with clean water. You first wash your hands upto the wrists three time by saying Bismillahi-rahmanir -raheem (In the name of Allah the Most compassionate and Merciful). You then gargle thrice by taking water into the mouth and rinsing out. Then the nose must be cleansed properly by taking water into the nostrils and snuffing out thrice. Then wash the face from one ear to the other and from forehead to the chin three times. Then wash the right arm upto the elbow three times. Wash the left arm in the same way three times. Then take water in both your hands and with your wet hands wipe over the head and the back of your neck and the inner side of the ears This is called Masah. Then wash the right foot upto the ankle and then the left foot upto the ankle three times each. While this is the prescribed way ie the way Mohammed (SAW) did it, we've got to remember that the whole idea is to cleanse oneself in preparation to stand before Allah the Almighty. So even if we are told to cleanse each part of our body three times it does not mean that if it is not clean enough you can wash further.

The following nullifies ablution - wudu:

1 Discharge of gases

2. Discharge of any bodily fluid (urine, stool, vomiting, blood etc)

3. sexual intercourse

4. Falling asleep, fainting or losing cosciousness

5. Loud laughter during prayer.

Edited by Tasneem
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 8:34am

Assalamu Alaikum

Tasneem, may Allah give you many blessing for helping us.  Thank you for taking the time to help Labenese and myself.  I did know how to do wu'du and the things that nullify ablution and have been trying to keep myself in a state of wu'du.  The instructions you gave for completing the first raakat was very helpful.  I have used the website you sited for Qur'an audio.  In fact, that was the first place I went to learn from the Qur'an (may Allah bless those at IslamWay for making this available).  However, I have been unable to use it to help me with learning to speak Arabic.  I have dyslexia and although some people think that only affects the way a person reads, it actually affects the way they hear sounds as well.  Although I have learned how to minimize my visual dyslexia, the only way to minimize the audio part in learning a new language is by listening to the words slowly, clearly and repeatedly.  So, the only way I am going to learn from an audio device is if I find one that says the Arabic slowly and clearly.  I did have someone that was giving me lessons on line with a mic and audio waves; however, that person is no longer available for me to practice with.  I think it's time for me to venture away from my home and see if I can find an Imam in my area to help with this.  Inshallah an Imam can hook me up with a sister that can help me with this.  Once again, Tasneem, may Allah bless you greatly for helping us.  I look forward to having you help us more in the furture, inshallah.

PAZ

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
abuabdullah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuabdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 1:24pm
assalamu alaikum if you need detail help on you salat just email me ..
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 1:26pm

Originally posted by abuabdullah abuabdullah wrote:

assalamu alaikum if you need detail help on you salat just email me ..

why e-mail?,why?...

Brother Suleyman/Islamicity Investigation Center(IIC)

Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 5:24pm

Wa-alaikum-Salaam Sr Khadija

JazakakAllah Khair. About wudu I set out the info in response to Lebanese request, also it may be helpful to anyone who is in the process of learning. I have come across a book called "Qur'an Reader", An introduction to Qur'an Recitation, by Mahmud A Kurkcu, published by Young Muslims of Australia. This book comes along with 2 audio casettes. This might be of good use to you as you can refer to the book and listen to the cassettes. May be you could write to them and request/purchase it from them. May Allah make it easy for you, Ameen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic