IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To continue Believer’s topic bellow  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To continue Believer’s topic bellow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anatolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To continue Believer’s topic bellow
    Posted: 08 February 2008 at 12:13am
Believer brought an important point up in a bellow post. He asked why the
Qu'ran and Hadiths cannot be understood by all because one needs to
master the art of understanding it. Yet I constantly read from people like
Martha, new converts to Islam, that the reason why they converted was
because of Islam's simplicity. How can it be so simple when only a few can
truly understand it and even they will never understand it in full plainly
because a lifetime is not enough. Yet Muslims are first to react with
confusion and disbelief when Christians explain the Trinity to them in
simplest form.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 2:04am

Yes, I became muslim because Islam is a simple religion. However you have rightly pointed out Anatolian, that few truly understand it. I suppose what is difficult for me is that there is no 'leader' today to guide us. There is no head of Islam, that encompasses all muslims throughout the world, to guide us in these difficult days of the world.

All throughout history there have been prophets to bring us together. The Catholics today have the Pope. Other religions have their leaders. ie the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has their prophet and leader. They have their 12 apostles, in the same way that Jesus had his.

I never expected that being muslim would have so many obstacles and confusions. We have many scholars that do not agree on the same things. How can a person decide who to believe on important daily issues? You can go to one mosque and get advice from the Imam, go to another and the advice will be different again. Yes, I know we have the Qu'ran, and the prophet Muhammad(pbuH)and the sunnah and hadiths and that is all we need as such.BUt as regards to the sunnah and hadiths, people cannot agree. Here in the forum we have evidence of that. So where are the guidelines for muslims in the modern world? How can we be united in Islam if we fail to agree on so much? There is much literature on Islam.  Scholars  can have their works printed for all to read. Visiting scholars from abroad travel to countries to have conferences. But how do we know the words they speak are right, or are of their own making? Other religions have their guidlines when they write their literature, so as to avoid confusing its members. There is little confusion in other faiths. Leaders have their personal opinions and can get certain morals wrong ie a bishop who might condone homosexuality. But that is often because they have these tendancies themselves. And yes, some in positions of trust have done bad things, and then we hear about it in the media. But this is a different issue all together. And muslims also fall into this category. What I am talking about here is plain and simple, there is no-one in Islam who can possibly come up to the standards of the Prophet(pbuh) and who can lead us all. Muslims are left high and dry to decipher for themselves what is right and wrong. Every muslim will have his own opinion, only that, his own interpretation of the Qu'ran and sunnahs and hadiths. Religion shouldnt be like this.  Sorry, but I need guidance from someone who knows what they are talking about, and I just dont have that. I have Allah, but sometimes human beings are so necessary.

Not all prophets received scriptures from God. But at least they were always there for the people. Who do muslims have today? The Qur'an is complete, but does that mean we cant have one single person to lead us?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 7:07am
Martha, is it possible that maybe Allah wants you to make up your own mind about things?  To consider the words of the Quran, think about your own situation and then decide for yourself instead of constantly letting others think for you?  Maybe the thinking and the deciding is more important than the decision itself.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 7:38am
Yes Ron, you are right. And ithout Allah/God, I would be totally lost
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 1:03pm

There are depths and layers to many things.

First aspect is that there is One God. That is easy enough. And that Allah / God sent the word and knowledge to people in different lands-known as Messengers or Prophets.  Some we know of, some we don't. But the basic message of One God, the Divine etc. Is the basic message.

Then you addd on the core moral values: honor thy parents, do not kill, etc. They are faily universal ideas.

Then the depth is added not only in terms of spiritual connection, but also learing the laws. What foods to eat, how to behave, how to pray, etc. These take longer to learn and incorporate.

Where I feel Christianity and Islam seperate is that the basic idea of One God is different in Christianity. That God produced a "son" who really is God. And that humans killed God (in human form).

I also think that Christianity has removed most of the laws sent into the Hebrew scriptures.And that if I "beleive" that Jesus is the "son of God" and died for my sins i will be saved.

So for me the simplicity is the Belief in One God the Creator, the messengers, the angels etc.

And where the "complexity" arises is that life is not black and white. We are always given challenges. Things are not always simple.

In agreement with Ron. Part of the answer is that it is the journey that we should reflect upon and experience.

And in Islam you go into the depth as far as you need or want to go. Islam to me is fascinating and really addresses the emotional, mental, spiritual and physical aspects to life.

For example in the Quran we are told we should all go and seek knowledge (I do not have exact Surah) but the beauty of it is its not specific. Allah has made us different with different interests. But we should not reject learning and use of the mind.

The layers and layers are there. Just as we are made up of different aspects to our being. Not just about "belief"

I have been learning about Islam now for over six years or so and I am not bored yet!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 3:16am

The Quran and Hadis are just guides for the ummah. Where shariah or common laws are concerned, they may differ depending on situations for example, for those who are on a long journey, prayers can be shortened, or for women who are pregnant, they are exempted from fasting but must return the fast when they are well again.

However where aqidah or faith is concerned, there is no compromise. Allah is Al-Ahad - The One. There is no associates whatsoever.

By the way Martha, the reason we do not have anymore Prophets, is not only because Muhammad was the last prophet, but the end of the world is so near. And the only guide that you can expect is Isa alaihissalam who will be coming soon.

Salam.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 5:21am

By the way Martha, the reason we do not have anymore Prophets, is not only because Muhammad was the last prophet, but the end of the world is so near. And the only guide that you can expect is Isa alaihissalam who will be coming soon.

The statement that the 'end of the world is nigh' has been said for decades. So this is not a reasonable statement. And I am interested to know why muslims dont feel it necessary to have one leader in Islam. It doesnt affect me one bit regarding my faith. I'm quite happy with Allah thanks. I dont need anything else. I am willing to admit that I am satisfied with the Qur'an and other holy scriptures, and in my Prophet Muhammad(pbuH). I dont need any Immans or mullers or any other scholar. Like I have previously said, scholars dont agree one to another, muslims dont agree one to another. I will go it alone thanks.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

The statement that the 'end of the world is nigh' has been said for decades. So this is not a reasonable statement.

try centuries

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic