IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Multiple wives will mean multiple benefit  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple wives will mean multiple benefit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple wives will mean multiple benefit
    Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:31am

Angel, I think it is a 'man thing' these days. I agree,We know that the Prophet Muhammed took extra wives, because of the wars, and to bring peace between warring tribes. Some men now like to collect wives as if they are trinkets, and give themselves a better status in society. there is no need in this day and age for any man to take more than one wife. The Islamic prinicple I agree with, but life today is far more expensive than ever before, And I'm not talking about having loads of possessions, cars etc. Even having a roof over your head is tough to pay for. So men have a lot to answer for. Some women might marry a man who already has a wife, because she might feel she will be left on the shelf. It is extremely difficult for a woman to share her husband with another wife. So how does the man feel justified in sharing his money and love with extra wives? He is asking for extra trouble.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 12:05am

Originally posted by imp87 imp87 wrote:

Being on benefits shows you are having some kind of problem supporting yourself and wife, maybe the grown ups can ignore this because they get to indulge in there fantasy world at night, but what about the children of these families?

Exactly!

Quote Our prophet s.a.w married for the right reasons, but I do not know if that could be said for the people of today, regardless if it is there right or not.

My knowledge the Prophet introduced it because after war or wars, many men were killed, so there were more women than men. There was a need for it then. But now there is not much of a need now.

The Prophet also advice that if can and are able to support more than one wife, then yes, if not then do not.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
imp87 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imp87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 5:56am

Put the �western system� aside for a second, I do not know why it got dragged there again, this is just another example that people get married without thinking properly and for the wrong purposes.

Being on benefits shows you are having some kind of problem supporting yourself and wife, maybe the grown ups can ignore this because they get to indulge in there fantasy world at night, but what about the children of these families?

It would also be interesting to find out how many of these 2nd, 3rd, or 4th wives are British citizens or UK born Muslims (Regardless of origin). I think that would show a bit more the reality if these women marry because they �want to� or I am sorry to say �need to�.

Our prophet s.a.w married for the right reasons, but I do not know if that could be said for the people of today, regardless if it is there right or not.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:35pm

Originally posted by Walid Walid wrote:

Each wife lives in her own house (fully paid with their hard earning not mortgage haram scam).

Are they living in the West, if so then how did they pay for the house? a mortgage is a loan from the bank.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Walid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 6:04am

Sister Martha.

I agree with you that we shouldn't build homes on welfare, food stamps or section 8 and ghetto low-income houses etc. Those less fortune that were denied opportunity and stuck up with this situation must try to liberate themselves as much as they can.

Let we settle sister that both men and women need real Islamic education on this. I know four brothers who are all married more than one wife. Each wife lives in her own house (fully paid with their hard earning not mortgage haram scam). None of them ever bothered to go beyond their means despite they faced a tough/rough times. Their elder brother said once, what is enough for one woman in this country can cover two if there is real iman among real muslimah in this country.

These are fortunate ones. However, there are many brothers who don't have means and sometimes marry another wife in bad setting then create uncertain in their houses. Equally so, there are many sisters who jump on brother without consideration beyond financial means.  U can guess the result!!

The right question is deen only as sunnah shows well with big/little in hands. It is good to have financial muscle all the time or most of the time. But it is quite obvious financial setting can fluctuate. I don't think anyone can advocate as we see permanent future stability before commencing a new marriage.

May Allah show us the truth path of building stable homes.

Walid

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:19am

Walid,

I agree that muslim man will do as he chooses regarding polygamy.

There are plenty of muslim organisations that can advise on this matter. But muslim men should do their best to support themselves and their wife/wives without relying on benefits. That is an Islamic principle. You need to convince me otherwise.

Womens rights in Islam mean very little if the husband doesnt understand his duty to support her. It falls on the man to be responsible and sensible, not use the benefit system as an excuse for his failings. I have heard 'thousands' of times, muslims and non-muslims saying 'oh well, the government can look after us'. What kind of human beings are they? Answer-weak.

I appreciate there are many good muslims that struggle in the UK. They are entitled to help. But a muslim man in these circumstances should stick to one wife. Common sense tells you that if you cant keep one wife, then dont take another. That applies wherever you are in the world. (Unfortunately the western society can make it too easy, so allowing some to abuse the system.)It is the woman who will suffer. So educate the man first.

Walid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 3:51am
Muslim man will practice polygamous regardless of what western law says. After all, many western men are in illegal polygamous relation ship despite claiming otherwise. That is why many western women lost their rights. Thanks for their feminist movement.

Sister Martha wrote:

"I hope the Muslim Council of Britain discourages all men from taking another wife, unless he can support them and not sponge off the tax payers money".

I agree except sponge off stuff. The most important is educating muslim women rights in accordance to Quran and correct sunnah. I doubt Muslim Council of Britain is equipped to do that at this stage.

Walid
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 1:33pm

Quite frankly, if a muslim man with one wife cannot support her and they are receiving  benefits, I cant see that Islamically he feels justified to have any more wives.

I hope the Muslim Council of Britain discourages all men from taking another wife, unless he can support them and not sponge off the tax payers money.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic