IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Inter-Marriages  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inter-Marriages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruzhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inter-Marriages
    Posted: 27 January 2008 at 12:01am

Assalaamualaikum,

I would like to know what does Islam says about marriage between a Muslim man and Christian woman, base on the Quran and Hadith? Please quote the exact verse/surah from the Quran and sources from the Hadith. Appreciate your contribution!

Jazaka Allah

Ruzhan

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 6:09am

Wa'alaikum As'Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Here is the fifth verse from Surah Al- Mai'dah Am just pasting it here below

�Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends. And whosoever disbelieves in Faith, [i.e. in the Oneness of Allaah and in all the other Articles of Faith i.e. His (Allah�s) Angels, His Holy Books, His Messengers, the Day of Resurrection and Al‑Qadar (Divine Preordainments)], then fruitless is his work; and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers

Please do go thru its commentaries too.

I wish you to remind this hadith too

Narrated by al-Bukhari & Muslim as well

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: �A woman may be married for four reasons: her wealth, her lineage, her beauty and her religious commitment. Choose the one who is religious, may your hands be rubbed with dust [i.e., may you prosper].� "

This hadeeth encourages keeping company with people who are religiously committed in all things, because the one who keeps company with them will benefit from their good attitude and morals, their blessing and their good ways, and he will be safe from mischief at their hands.  Am not contradicting the verse, Its permisibble to marry christian woman, but i just wanted you to remind which is highlighted in the hadith.

Edited by seekshidayath
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 8:04am

Ruzhan, you have been given the correct report by Seekshidayath from the Quran and Sunnah as you had aksed for. The references are also there. That is the correct report / reply.

It is permissible to marry the chaste ladies from the christians (Verse 5:5). It is necessary to marry them and not to keep them as girl friends or concubines. That is a permission from Allah.

There are social problems to look after. The marriage may last for a long time or it may suffer hardship. It depends on the intentions. When children will be born and grow up, they will not know which way to go. They may be lost in doubts by travelling in two boats at the same time. But these things have nothing to do with your question. Your question has been answered, I hope.

poga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 10:09am
as muslim MAN am i allowed to marry woman from the race of JINN
layalee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 10:23pm
poga, care to share what exactly is the 'race of jinn'? or what individuals make up this race?
ruzhan View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruzhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 4:44am

Assalaamualakum,

Thanks for the reply and the quoted verse and hadith!

A few more queries abt this topic:

1. With regards to the Quranic verse, some may argue that the Christians referred to, are not the same as Christians nowadays who believe in the doctrine of trinity ie after the doctrine of trinity been established.

2. Do you have any comments/fatwa/thoughts by some of our religious scholars, both classical and contemporary on this topic ie inter-religious marriage?

Jazaka Allah

Ruzhan

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:08am
Ruzhan,

There is only one argument that I can make for question 1.

The Quran was revealed during the 7th Century.  That means that the Christians of the Time of Muhammed (pbuh) were already steeped in the heresies of the Trinity. 

The Christians of the time of the Revelations of the Quran are the Christians of Today.  As I was raised in the Russian Orthodox Church, I can tell you that the Christians of the Arabian Peninsula were Chaldean, Coptic and other Old Orders.  They taught the Trinity, though they may have varied opinions on the exact nature of the Trinity. They taught Jesus to be the Son of God. 

The Trinity was established into Canonical Law in 325AD.  That's 300 years before the Quran.  One would argue from a purist point of view, if the Christians and Jews hadn't already strayed, there would have been no need for Muhammed (pbuh). 

As someone who comes from a Restorationist sect of Christianity, I have no problem pointing out that Christianity was already on the down slope by 600AD.

So, for Question 1.  If Christians are permissible by the Quran, its the same Christians as today.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:31am

That is the 100 % right reply from angela to question 1. Quran blames the christians of having three gods. The Quran tells the christians not to say that there are three (gods). In the matters of faith, Quran is at the top. Nothing can take away the facility that Allah has provided except any clear order or practice of the prophet s.a.w.s. But the prophet will also not do anything against the command of Allah.

The Haram and Halal are only in the Quran by the Command of Allah. Next is the understanding or the practice of the prophet and his companions. The best one can do is to find out about the practice of the companions (Sahabah) if any of them used to marry the christian ladies. If they did then it is settled that there is no bar on such marriages. I have no knowledge of any Fatwa in favor or against such marriages.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic