IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Istikhara  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Istikhara

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Istikhara
    Posted: 13 March 2005 at 10:47am

Topic:  Istikhara??? (1 of 6), Read 46 times )
Reply From:  Anonymous
Date:  Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:59 AM 

Assalamu 3alaykom

plz i need som1 2 explain 2 me about "istikhara".I know what it is but i want 2 know how i can get an answer for my problem by doing it.i have 2 decide about a matter and im not able 2.im praying everyday that GOD leads me 2 the write choice but im not able 2 see the answer coming.im tired.help plz :(

===================================================

Topic:  Istikhara??? (2 of 6), Read 39 times 
Reply From:  Love_A_Muslim
Date:  Tuesday, November 30, 2004 03:07 PM 

Assalamualaykum,

InshAllah I hope this finds you in the best of health and ever increasing Iman.

An-Nawawi holds that "after performing the istikharah, a person must do what he is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the istikharah. And if his feelings change, he should leave what he had intended to do, otherwise he is not completely leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking aid from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice, means that one should completely leave what he himself had desired or determined."

After performing Salatul Istikharah go ahead and do what you had intended to do in the first place. If it is the will of Allah everything will work out well, if not is it will fall apart.

Do not wait for any dream...or some miraculous thing to happen. Even though nothing is difficult for Allah...He shows His signs to people in different way.

May Allah make it easy upon you...ameen.

And Allah knows Best!

==============================================

Topic:  Istikhara??? (3 of 6), Read 41 times 
Reply From:  peaceinislam
Date:  Wednesday, December 01, 2004 04:33 AM 

It may also be possible Allah has already answered you but you don't realize it (or didn't like the answer). Sometimes we want things that aren't necessarily good for us. I suggest you re-think what's been going on in your life to see if this is the case (but continue the istakarah as already described in the previous post: just in case it hasn't been).

===============================================

Topic:  Istikhara??? (4 of 6), Read 37 times 
Reply From:  Anonymous
Date:  Thursday, December 02, 2004 11:41 AM 

Hi again.when i asked the question i havent done the istikhara yet.It was the first time i perform it.
I dont know if u will beleive me but i had 2 nightmares.one after another.
In the first 1 there was a rope around my neck and i was suffocating.i was aware im dreaming so i started saying du3a2 while im asleep and then i woke up.it took max 2 sec 2 fall asleep again and have another nightmare.i saw my friend trying 2 kill me.in the 2 dreams i felt i was going 2 die.i couldnt breath.
In the morning i was supposed 2 b upset or have a bad feeling or sth?cos i felt its a new day.the sun was shining.i had more confidence in myself.and i felt everything is going 2 b ok .but still i didnt get it.is it positive or negative.Im really confused.plz tell me what u think.I beleive only GOD can help us through our problems and after istikhara i feel kind of peace in my heart but not my mind.(excuse my english cos im french educated)
I appreciate discussing and listening 2 each other.Thank u all

=================================================

Topic:  Istikhara??? (5 of 6), Read 42 times 
Date:  Thursday, December 02, 2004 03:32 PM 

As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam,

As for your question on nightmares, it�s recommended for anyone who sees a bad and terrifying dream to wake up and do the following:

1-Seeking refuge in Allah from the Shaitan (Satan) saying "A`oodho billahi mina ash-Shaitan ar-Rajeem (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan."

2-Spitting three times on the left.

3-Refraining from relating the dream to anybody lest it makes them worry.

This is what the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, told us to do in this situation.
Narrated Abu Salama: I used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard Abu Qatada saying, "I too used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard the Prophet saying, "A good dream is from Allah, so if anyone of you sees a dream which pleases him, he should not tell anybody about it except to the one whom he loves, and if he sees a dream which he dislikes, then he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil and from the evil of Satan, and spit three times (on his left) and should not tell anybody about it, lest it might harm him. " (Narrated by Al-Bukhari)

Also, you are supposed, dear sister in Islam, to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, when going to sleep.

Try to recite the last two verses from Surat Al-Baqarah (the Cow), as the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "Whoever recites the last two verses from Surat Al-Baqarah at night, they will be sufficient for him." (Narrated by Al-Bukhari, 3786; Muslim, 807).

Also it is Sunnah to recite Surat Al-Ikhlas and Al-Mu`awwidhatayn before you sleep. `Aa'ishah, may Allah be pleased with her, narrates: "On going to bed, the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, would blow into his hands and recite Surat Al-Ikhlas and Al-Mu`awidhatyn." Then he would wipe his hands over his face and his body, as far as they could reach." `Aa'ishah continues: "When he fell ill, He would ask me to do that for him.� (Narrated by Al-Bukhari, 5416; Muslim, 2192)

Al-Bara' Ibn `Aazib, may Allah be pleased with him, narrates: The Prophet said to me, "Whenever you go to bed, perform ablution like the one you perform for the prayer, lie on your right side and say, "Allahumma aslamtu wajhi ilaika, wa fawadtu 'Amri ilaika, wa alja'tu Zahri ilaika raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika. La Malja'a wa la manja minka illa ilaika. Allahumma amantu bikitabika-l-ladhi anzalta wa bina-biyika-l ladhi arsalta" (O Allah! I surrender to You and entrust all my affairs to You and depend upon You, fearing You, and reposing my hope in You. There is no fleeing from You, and there is no protection and safety except with You, O Allah! I believe in Your Book (the Qur'an) which You have revealed and in Your Prophet (Muhammad) whom You have sent). Then if you die on that very night, you will die as believer (in the religion of Islam). Let the aforesaid words be your last utterance (before sleep)." I repeated it before the Prophet and when I reached "Allahumma amantu bikitabika-l-ladhi anzalta (O Allah I believe in Your Book which You have revealed)." I said, "Wa-rasulika (and your Messenger)." The Prophet said, "No, say: 'Wanabiyika-l-ladhi arsalta (Your Prophet whom You have sent), instead."

Also on this issue, Abu Hurayrah was quoted as saying: �The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, used to tell us that when any one of us wanted to sleep, he should lie on his right side, then say �Allahumma Rabb al-samaawaati wa Rabb al-ard wa Rabb al-�Arsh il-�Azeem, Rabbana wa Rabba kulli shay�in, faaliq al-habb wa�l-nawa wa munazzil al-Tawraata wa�l-Injeela wa�l-Furqaan, a�oodhu bika min sharri kulli shay�in anta aakhidhun bi naasiyatihi. Allahumma anta al-awwal fa laysa qablaka shay�un, wa anta al-aakhir fa laysa ba�daka shay�un. Wa anta az-Zaahir fa laysa fawqaka shay�un wa anta al-baatin fa laysa doonaka shay�un. Iqdi �annaa al-dayna wa aghninaa min al-faqr (O Allah, Lord of the heavens and the earth, and Lord of the Mighty Throne, our Lord and Lord of all things, Splitter of the seed and the date stone, Revealer of the Tawraat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel) and the Furqaan (Qur�an), I seek refuge in You from the evil of all things that You will seize by the forelock [i.e., have full control over them]. O Allah, You are the First and there is nothing before You; You are the Last and there is nothing after You. You are the Manifest (az-Zaahir) and there is nothing above You; You are the Hidden (al-Baatin) and there is nothing beyond You. Settle our debt and spare us from poverty).�� (Narrated by Muslim, 2713).

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) was also quoted as saying: �Abu Bakr said: �O Messenger of Allah, teach me something that I can say in the morning and in the evening.� He said: �Say, �Allahumma �Aalim al-ghaybi wa�l-shahaadah, Faatir al-samawaati wa�l-ard, Rabba kulli shay�in wa maleekahu, ashhadu an laa ilaaha illa anta. A�oodhi bika min sharri nafsi wa min sharr il-shaytaan wa sharakihi (O Allah, Knower of the seen and the Unseen, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Lord and Sovereign of all things, I bear witness that there is no god except You. I seek refuge in You from the evil of my own self and from the evil and traps of Satan).� Say this in the morning and in the evening, and when you go to bed.�� (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3392; Abu Dawood, 5067).

Dear sister in Islam, we hope you will stick to reciting those supplications which the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, taught us, as clarified in the above Hadiths.

Allah Almighty knows best.

===================================================

Date:  Thursday, December 02, 2004 03:41 PM 

As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear sister in Islam, thanks a lot for your question which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to get themselves well-acquainted with the teachings of Islam as well as all aspects of life.

Istikharah prayer is a two-rak`ah non-obligatory Prayer by which one seeks Allah's guidance when he is confused or can't choose between permissible alternatives. In this case, the Muslim should pray to Allah the Almighty to guide him to whatever He sees fit for him and make his heart satisfied with the decision.

In the Prayer, one asks Allah to facilitate the matter if it is good and turn it away if it is not. Thus, after praying Istikharah, one should decide on a course of action, and trust that if the matter does not work out, it is because it was not good for him. One should not then feel disappointed if things did not go as hoped.

Istikharah is only prescribed for matters deemed permissible by the Shari`ah and not for any issue that plainly opposes Allah's Laws. It is when you have two permissible options and you do not know which is better for you that you should resort to Allah the Almighty to seek His guidance.

In response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

�Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah through Prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that Istikharah applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlalwful or impermissible).

When faced with important decisions in life, a believer is persuaded to use all of his Allah-given resources, as well as to consult people who are known for their knowledge, piety and sound opinion. After having done so, he can turn to Allah for guidance.

Humans are limited in knowledge, and Allah alone possesses perfect knowledge. Allah has told us that He alone possesses the keys to all that is good. He has also promised to help us if we turn to Him earnestly and sincerely.

We see around us people doing all sorts of things for confirmation when faced with important decisions in their life. The Pre-Islamic Arabs resorted to the practice of divining with arrows or the stirring of birds. In modern times, even some of the most prominent people consult astrologers, psychics, gurus or so called spiritual masters. Islam teaches that since Allah alone knows the unseen realities, and He alone is aware of what is good for us in an absolute sense, we must seek His help.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) taught us how to do so. He told us that if we are faced with decisions in life and are unable to make up our mind, we must approach Allah through Prayer. This Prayer is called Prayer of Istikharah. It is a Sunnah or a highly recommended act. The specific method of doing it, is as follows:

First, one must offer a Prayer of two rak`ahs with the intention of seeking guidance from Allah. Then he should offer the following supplication:

"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi`ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azim, fa'innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta`lamu wa la a`lamu, wa anta `allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra [here mention your case] khairun li fi dini wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or 'ajili amri wa`ajilihi) faqdurhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi.

Wa in ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra sharrun li fi deeni wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or `ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu `anni was-rifni `anhu, waqdur liya al-khaira haithu kana thumma 'ardini bihi.�

(O Allah, I seek Your help in finding out the best course of action (in this matter) by invoking Your knowledge; I ask You to empower me, and I beseech Your favor. You alone have the absolute power, while I have no power. You alone know it all, while I do not. You are the One Who knows the hidden mysteries. O Allah, if You know this thing (I am embarking on) [here mention your case] is good for me in my religion, worldly life, and my ultimate destiny, then facilitate it for me, and then bless me in my action. If, on the other hand, You know this thing is detrimental for me in my religion, worldly life, and ultimate destiny, turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decree what is good for me, wherever it may be, and make me content with it.)

After having done so, he/she should follow the decision that he/she is strongly inclined to. If he/she feels no such inclination, then he/she should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."

It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.�

Imam An-Nawawi (may Allah bless his soul) adds:

�After making Istikharah, a person must do what he or she is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he/she had desired to do before making the Istikharah. And if his or her feelings change, he or she should leave what he or she had intended to do, for otherwise he or she is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking help from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself.�

Also, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

�Doing Istikharah does not mean that one should not use one's reason or experience. Allah the Exalted has commanded us in the Qur'an that we should use our intellect and seek knowledge. If we do not know something, we should ask those who know. But human reason has limitations. We do not know everything; only Allah does know all things. When we are faced with a dilemma then we should turn to Allah to seek His guidance.

After offering Istikharah, you may do whatever is best in your understanding or whatever convinces you. You may repeat the du`a' of Istikharah several times if you are still hesitant. It is not necessary to dream about anything and you do not have to wait for an answer in your dreams. It is reported in a Hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "O Anas, when you intend to do some important things, then seek the good (seek Istikharah) from your Lord seven times and then do that to which your heart (or mind) is inclined, because the good is in it."

Most of the hadiths on this subject do not talk about any dream. However, the famous Hanafi jurist Ibn `Abdeen has suggested in his Hashiyah that one should make the Istikharah Prayer before sleeping, and should sleep after having performed Wudu'. The face should be towards Makkah. If one sees something white or green in one's dream, then the answer is yes, but if one sees something dark or red then the answer is no.

Other jurists of Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja`fari schools say that one should do that which is most convincing. According to Imam Malik, other people can also perform Istikharah on behalf of someone.

There is nothing strange about dreams. If you did not see any dreams, then it does not mean that dreams do not occur. After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not. We know that some of our dreams become true. Some time we see something in a dream and it happens exactly the same way later. As there are good dreams and bad dreams, so there are also true and false dreams. The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have. In the Qur'an many dreams are mentioned. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw in his dream that he was sacrificing his son. Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had dreams and Allah also gave him the knowledge of interpreting dreams. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also sometimes interpreted the dreams of his Companions.�

If you are still in need of more information, don't hesitate to contact us. Do keep in touch. May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

Allah Almighty knows best.

Edited by administrator
chicago View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:22pm
As Salaam Alaikum

I need an expert opinion on this matter please:

In regards to my wedding proposal with someone, her family insists that the istikhara was bad based on the dream of her mom. However, both me and the girl have very strong feelings for each other. I have had "good" and happy dreams about her, she had a mix of good and negative dreams about me. Whenever, her and I try to part ways based on her mom's istikhara ( her mom feels that her dream was negative and has not agreed to proceed further and is trying to repeat istikhara ) both me and her feel extremely sad. I thought that istikhara is not always a dream and it is also how one wholeheartedly feels. i whole heartedly feel she is the one for me and she does too. And everytime we tried to part ways because of her mom, we both felt it was not the right thing for us to split apart. so i am really lost as to what to do...I have also read that one must decide on a matter and do istikhara and things will work out if its good for us and they wont if its bad for us....so my question is....since both me and her feel soo strongly that we are meant to be togeher.....shouldnt we try to take matters further and see how things work out? I have not met her nor have our families met....so i feel that both the families need to ACT i.e meet and talk and see how things work out to truely see how istikhara is meant to turn out. Her family is not willing to meet based on her mom's dream....i feel that this is incorrect as they are not even taking action to see if things work. Please guide me what we should do.

I would greatly appreciate help in this matter...Khuda Hafiz
daffodil1003 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffodil1003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 2:01am

Thanks you for sharing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic