IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - lunar eclispses  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lunar eclispses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahrosecurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lunar eclispses
    Posted: 09 June 2005 at 10:23am
My husband and I were discussing lunar eclsipes, their geophysical effects on the Earth and why Muslims pray during the lunar eclipse.  We have discussed this for two days, to no avail.  My husband has been trying to explain to me that something must be wrong with the orbits of the Sun, Earth, and Moon.  But, scientifically this doesn't make sense.  Nothing is wrong, eclpises are predicatble.  With all the scientific evidences that we have possessed since Coperinicus, pointing to the fact that the lunar eclsipse is but a shadow of the Earth being cast onto to the Moon, why do Muslims pray during the lunar eclsipse?  Is it out of fear? I know that in antiguity through the middle ages, people were afraid of the eclipses and they took them as bad omens.  Hopefully somebody here will be able to shed some light onto this.  What is the prayer that is prayed during the eclipse?
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 12:01pm

Hello Sarah,

You might find this article very helpful in answering your questions about Muslim prayers during eclipses:

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=107062

I hope this is helpful.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2005 at 9:57pm
i think you ment solar eclipse, a thing you should have noticed is that during a solar eclipse the moon, although smaller in size then the sun, covers the sun exactly, this is because of the distance of the sun to the moon and earth. A sign for those who believe, and for those who doubt, that perhaps they find certainty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic