IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and Buddhism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and Buddhism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuhad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and Buddhism
    Posted: 05 June 2005 at 5:48am

Salaam To:ALL

Varshaken has already started the topic on Islam and Buddhism and I feel it is necessary for muslims to get basic understanding of Buddhism before lengthy discussios starts.

Muslims involved in comparative analysis must acquaint themselves with 'Buddhist Mindset'. There is no point quoting literal Quranic text when we have not established a common theme. We as muslims always tend to asserts our righteousness at the expense of the other.

Remember literal quotation from Quran will not satisfy a Buddhist Mind because they are deeply Meditative and Philisophical people. Some muslims tend to shy away from Meditative and Philosophical discussions. Every religion has set of Ideas and Muslims must make an effort to understand from a comparative analysis point of view.

Varshaken is from Sri lanka ( I presume). So here is a bit of Background on Buddhism:

Buddhism A brief Synopsis

Buddhism has been divided into two major branches which have in turn been subdivided into numerous sects. Today one may find in this one family of religions nearly every form of religious belief and expression on the planet.

Hinayana (Lesser Vehicle) or Theravada Buddhism concentrated in Southeast Asia ( Main form of religion in SRiLanka )is conservative and more closely follows the original teachings of Buddha. It sees man as entirely dependent on self-effort, teaches wisdom as the key virtue and regards religion as a full-time job, primarily for monks. They regard Buddha as a saint, eschew metaphysics and ritual, and limit prayer to meditation. Their ideal is arhat (sainthood).

Mahayana (Greater Vehicle) Buddhism has spread throughout the world and rests on the principle that Buddha taught many things in secret to the elect who could properly interpret them. It sees man as involved with others and saved by grace. It teaches compassion as the key virtue and believes its religion is relevant to life in the world; therefore, it is a religion for laymen as well as monks.

. The Mahayana branch sees Buddha as a savior, welcomes metaphysics and ritual, and engages in petitionary prayer. Their ideal is the Bodhisattva--a mortal who has achieved enlightenment and after death postpones Nirvana attainment to serve in heaven answering prayers. Their ideal is the Bodhisattva--a mortal who has achieved enlightenment and after death postpones Nirvana attainment to serve in heaven answering prayers and helping mortals who are in need.

Mahayana Buddhism regards Buddha as a divine savior--pre-existent, planfully incarnate, supernaturally conceived, miraculously born, sinless, with a redemptive purpose, all knowing, and everlasting.

Hope this intro will kick start the discussuion on Buddhism now:

Regards

Fuhad

varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2005 at 9:47am
Hi Mr. Fuhad!!!!!!!!!!

I did not start any topic about Buddhism.

I am not at all interested in talking about Buddhism. I am here to learn about Islaam. Are you and Sanjiv the same person?

Varshaken, the Samurai.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2005 at 12:49pm

Thankyou very much my dear brother Fuhad for formally starting the topic, though it was exhaustively being dicussed elsewhere and hopefully, now someone among the administrator may bring that discussion to this thread. BTW where were you uptill this time. Your short introduction on Buddhaism was badly needed once I started discussing it with Bro Varshaken long time ago. Nevertheless, its still good to foramlize the discussion.

Now coming to general understanding of true Buddhaism, I not sure how one can still find an original authentic version (teachings) of Buddhaism taught by Gotama, especially once it is said "Today one may find in this one family of religions nearly every form of religious belief and expression on the planet." Hope to hear some good discussion on it from brothers like Varshaken and others from Buddhaism.

amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2005 at 9:04pm

I was impressed about Buddism when I learned Buddha said that everyone could attain enlightenment.

ie. state of Buddha

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2005 at 6:44am
Originally posted by amlhabibi2000 amlhabibi2000 wrote:

I was impressed about Buddism when I learned Buddha said that everyone could attain enlightenment.

ie. state of Buddha

Kindly do let me know which Buddha said this as there were numerous Buddha from time immorial to present day, the living Buddha. How do you find that it is the right Buddhaism and not one of those who got mixed up their true values with other cultural impressions or beliefs etc and is highly improbable to discern right from the false? 

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2005 at 8:44am

As far as I know it was Buddha, Setartah I cannot spell his name.

I always thought there was only one Buddha....

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Fuhad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuhad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2005 at 12:46pm

Salaam To: Anne

Welcome to the forum.

Since there is dogmatic legitimism in Shia version of Islam and Subtle dogmas and some rituals in Sunni version if Islam. Dont you think it would have been better not to put your belief in concepts of heaven , hell, dogmas of Imams ( in the case Shia version ), then submitting to one book i.e Koran, whereas Buddhism is doesn't require all these creedal beliefs. Buddhism is paragmatic as well, it doesn't send people to hell as in the case of Islam.

I was thinking why did you choose Islam instead of Buddhism. What are the Physical and Spiritual significance of Islam compared to Buddhism from your own experience.

Regards

Fuhad

Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:18pm

I was thinking why did you choose Islam instead of Buddhism. What are the Physical and Spiritual significance of Islam compared to Buddhism from your own experience.

Regards

Fuhad

I guess I was more impressed by the way Muslims Pray for some reason.

Though to be honest I find some similarities in all religions persay 1. prayer, 2. charity and good deeds, 3. The importance of Education and training to be able to support ones family, 4. Making Haj in a three fold way to self others and the world or places of Spiritual significance. 5. Just down right being a good person. 6. Stories and parables of inspiring events or people of which we can find in each of our lives as well.

I found the Quran very interesting and it opened my eyes to some spiritual truths that I had not thought about before.

One thing I did find with all religions or spiritual paths is that there are good and not so good people in varying degrees in everyone and I believe all these people submitt in Islam to Allah in degrees and they have every freedom to choose their return path to Allah.

I believe each revelation brings us forward to more spiritual truths and proofs and that revealation is something that happens within each of us for the world and Allah every moment, every second reveal truths to us and none of us is exempt from this.

I believe with the added spiritual guidance from Islam, Christianity or Buddhism or which ever path one has freely choosen then this assists us with debriefing on the critical and none critical information contained in what is revealed to us in our daily lives.

Some of us choose to belong to a certain path while others do not and each has freedom to choose their path and none can say what is right for themselves is right for others only in that we have felt welcomed, comforted and supported in the community of our choice.

I was going to attempt to learn arabic but I cannot afford an M Pod to down load all the Quran in arabic on it so will have to leave this for a future date.  Arabic is it seems a very challenging language to learn. One day maybe.  (Just a personal note)

I was married to a man from the middle east for seven years and I knew him 2 years before that.  We had family problems and I tried to resolve them by learning his language, cooking his countries foods and learning the culture but he still was not happy and there was some abuse so I eventually devorced him, I still enjoy learning about the people, culture and religions of the middle east and of course the foods.

When people ask me what is the right path I tell them they must do their home work for what works for me may not work for them.

However I do encourage people to look at the spiritual guidance within each religion and see how this meets up with their own personal beliefs and if they feel welcomed by the spiritual community they choose.

As I said one reason I feel Islam is good is because the prayer is daily and repetitive and this is good for bringing some stability and continuity to a person challenged by issues such as drug and alcol abuse, family violence etc.  But then prayer in any form is good too, Islam just has an interesting recipe for it.

As for Buddhism I am not certain that sitting all day and chanting matras is as spiritually moving a process as getting out there and helping others in the world.

I believe Buddhism has a place in the world and that people do benifit from following the teaching and making a spiritual journey.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic