IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and Buddhism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and Buddhism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:07am

Great Job, my bro Sanjiv, this is what I was looking for. Now, since you are with the correct source, kindly look for the section which provides the information concerning multiple births. Can you find it being explicitly stated by Gotama Buddha? 

Secondly, according to your last but one post where you mentioned a quotation from Gotama Buddha "�consider the teachings as your teacher those who practice peace, tolerance and compassion and are willing to practice a wholesome way of life honour me the best". ", it is now realized how important it is to read from some authentic source that provides the actual sayings of Gotama Buddha and not just any other Buddha. Do you agree with me?

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:26am

Here is an interesting quote by Gotama Buddha, but really don't understand as who are devas in this quote? Can you help providing some details on this.

"224:

By telling the truth;
by not growing angry;
by giving, when asked,
no matter how little you have:
by these three things
you enter the presence of devas.

"

Reference: Dhammapada XVII (vv. 221-234); Kodhavagga, Anger; Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/khuddaka/dhp/tb0/ dhp-17-tb0.html

Edited by AhmadJoyia
beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 12:37pm
Your posts are beautiful brother Sanjiv. They are quite informative. Such posts help people like me who want to learn about different religions.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Great Job, my bro Sanjiv, this is what I was looking for. Now, since you are with the correct source, kindly look for the section which provides the information concerning multiple births. Can you find it being explicitly stated by Gotama Buddha? 

Thanks for the link AhmadJoyia.

Yeah as soon as I saw the Jatarka link (nothing in their yet) you will see plenty of reincarnation stories of all of Siddhartha�s previous lives supposably ( I have attached a link below if you like to see Jataka stories). They are other mentions of reincarnation dotted hear and there. I can�t find any evidence that Siddhartha suggested this theory especially once we know that the first texts was compiled at least 100 years after the death of Siddhartha, which by then there were approximately 500 different schools of thought. Some believed that Siddhartha taught celestial beings could be reached through attainment of Nibbana, most believed in rebirth and others believed it was ludicrous to put beliefs in such things as there was no way of testing these claims just another diversion that can ensnare a practitioner and lead them to fantasies without seeing the true nature of things. This led to a significant split, as you already know Mahayana and Theravada. Similar splits are again observed in the Theravada mainstream and Mahayana. The Pali Canon itself wasn�t even compiled until 100 to 50 BC some sites say 80BC in Sri-Lanka, which by then ideas and thoughts were added based on the bhikkus understanding. The Tripitaka is not the same among all denominations; they are variances between each school of thought. Keep in mind the Tripitika with all its contents takes up an entire bookshelf. Some interesting sites on what the Buddha was like. 

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=00000000010,00000 001258,0,0,1,0

http://www.harunyahya.com/buddhism03.php

I humbly disagree with some other contents mentioned in this Islamic site about Buddhism but agree with what is said on the Pali Canon on this page.

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Here is an interesting quote by Gotama Buddha, but really don't understand as who are devas in this quote? Can you help providing some details on this.

Devas means celestial beings or Gods. Another Tripitaka site listed below it may show some texts that might have been unavailable in the one you mentioned go to the first link on that webpage Introduction toThe Buddhist Bible.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9449/perspec.htm

http://watthai.net/talon/jataka/jataka.htm

A bit about Jataka stories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jataka

Edited by Sanjiv
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:33pm

Originally posted by beloved beloved wrote:

Your posts are beautiful brother Sanjiv. They are quite informative. Such posts help people like me who want to learn about different religions.

Thanks mate although I can be irritably slow in replying to posts. If you like there is a Islam and Hinduism thread if you like to post some articles on Hinduism below Beloved as there are a number of people who want to know what Hinduism is about. Hope to see you around soon.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=249& PN=3

beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 6:33am
How did you know that I am a Hindu?
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 7:44am

Originally posted by beloved beloved wrote:

How did you know that I am a Hindu?

I have reached enlightment brother beloved well I wish at least. You left your trail in another posting brother recognize this

"I am a Hindu brother, atleast for the sake of census."

Once I manage with this thread I hope to raise the Islam and Hinduism thread if any are interested. I consider myself a learned Hindu I guess.

Edited by Sanjiv
beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 9:08am

Here comes Sherlock Holmes

But mark my words, "atleast for the sake of census."

I am still learning religion Sanjiv.  I want to learn it soon.

I thought you were a Buddhist.  I envy you for you know a lot about Buddhism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic