IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Genetics and homosexual behaviour  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genetics and homosexual behaviour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genetics and homosexual behaviour
    Posted: 04 June 2005 at 10:25am
Flies defy the birds and bees
June 5, 2005

Page Tools

•  Scientists have added fuel to the theory that genes determine sexual orientation.

Altering a single gene in a fruit fly can turn its sexual orientation around, causing male flies to lose interest in females and females to display male mating rituals to other females, according to a study published in the journal Cell.

The research, by Barry Dickson and Ebru Demir of the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, into the workings of a "switch gene" looked at the scientific debate about whether genes or environment determine human sexual orientation.

Male courtship in fruit flies, or Drosophila, is an elaborate ritual and largely a fixed-action pattern easily identified by the researchers.

The male taps the female with his forelegs, sings a courtship song by extending and vibrating a wing, licks her genitalia and then curls his abdomen for copulation.

Through gene splicing, the scientists were able to swap the orientation of male and female fruit flies they studied in an observation chamber.

Advertiseme t< id=nameid73223 name=nameid73223 marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://ffxcam.theage.com.au/.ng/ad=doubleisland&is=yes&domain=theage.com.au&cat=news&c=story&subcat=world&site=age&adspace=300x250" Border=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 bordercolor="#000000">Advertisement

"Forcing female splicing in the male results in a loss of male courtship behaviour and orientation," the study said.

"More dramatically, females . . . spliced in the male mode behave as if they were males: they court other females.

"A complex innate behaviour is thus specified by the action of a single gene, demonstrating that behavioural switch genes do indeed exist."

The scientists concluded: "We have been able to reverse the sex roles during Drosophila courtship."

The researchers said so-called "switch genes" that trigger development of an anatomical feature - such as wing structure - have been extensively studied, but there are few studies of switch genes that control a complex behaviour.

They have already begun work with other scientists to test for switch genes that might be linked to other behavioural patterns, such as aggression.

- Reuters

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 11:07am
Theory and Search...that is all...
saalih View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 11:23am
homosexuals are inhumans and should be burn to death and get rid of them for good or else.....destruction befall us........
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 11:57am

Assalamu alaikum,

Shakur,

Your hatred and intolerance is most unIslamic.  Yes, homosexuality is a sin according to the Qur'an.  Yes, Muslims believe it is a perversion.

But, for you to say something so ridiculous as "homosexuals are inhumans and should be burn to death and get rid of them for good or else..." shows you are not capable of forgiveness, nor of basic respect for human life.

My brother is a homosexual.  He is a very decent and caring human being.  He takes care of old people in an "old folks home" and is incredibly compassionate, empathetic and gentle with his clients.  He has a kind heart and sweet demeanor. 

For you to say he should be killed because of his sexual orientation is nothing short of pure hatred.  You can hate the sin, but, in my eyes, your sin is biggger because you hate a person with such vemonous and murderous comtempt.

My brothers sin is between him and Allah.  You are not in a position to judge his right to live.

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

Shakur,

You can hate the sin, but, in my eyes, your sin is biggger because you hate a person with such vemonous and murderous comtempt.

Peace, ummziba.

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister Ummziba,

Leaving the sanctions on homosexuals;i only want to express an statement about your words...Sister,muslim's biggest problem in this world is not separating the sin and the existence of it's owner,by the cause of this tight process;we can't tell the truth to the persons who are so far away from Islam...i believe that this is the game of the evil that agitating us with the sins which persons make and their results why we behave wrong to them then they get cold to Islam...all i wanted to say is this...sanctions on homosexuals is an high issue to be understood that it's background includes an long period coming from the life of the last prophet from Meccan Years to Madinah...Sister,your words above are so wised!...best regards...

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 2:14pm

Shakur wrote:

homosexuals are inhumans and should be burn to death and get rid of them for good or else.....destruction befall us........

Hi, Hitler!!!...du bist einen Dutchlenden?..

Edited by Suleyman
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 6:07pm

Scientists have made a number of discoveries on gays, marijuana, breast implants, and regardless of their findings (that change as frequently), what Islam abhores cannot be turned acceptable.

Perhaps fruit flies have a slightly different approach to life, a different body structure and biology than human beings... for them it is possibly OK to switch genes. "Fruit gays", however, need to be dealt with a "repellent"...

MOCKBA
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2005 at 6:32pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

"Fruit gays", however, need to be dealt with a "repellent"...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, brother Mockba, but I might point out that it would be very hard to influence someone about the good of Islam and about Allah's laws if you "repelled" that person.

Seems to me, it would be more beneficial to treat that person with the respect and dignity that human beings deserve.  This way, they may someday see the error of their ways and change and we would reap the benefit of Allah's blessings and Mercy for being compassionate rather than condemning and self righteous.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic