IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Prophets - Jesus
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was Jesus married?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Jesus married?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Jesus married?
    Posted: 13 December 2007 at 10:52am

(Wasnt sure where to put this new topic. Apologies if it is in the wrong section. )

When I was a Christian I came to understand that Jesus came to show people the way and to bring to pass the immortality of man. Jesus himself was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan, to show the people that baptism was a necessary step to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. As marriage is also ordained by God, would it also have been necessary for Him to marry whilst on this earth, to show by example?

There are no such entries in the Bible of this event, not that I know of anyway. Many Christians would say that he lived a celibate life. But as a man who felt every kind of emotion, would it make sense that he would have had a wife? Some would say that Mary Magdelene was his wife. After he forgave her past history, she was constantly by His side, washed his feet, prepared meals. He first appeared to her, as the Bible says, after his death, before ascending into Heaven. 

Also, what is the muslim view on Jesus being married, if any. Is there any mention anywhere?

I  was just wondering. It isnt a big deal as such, just wondered if anyone else had thought the same. As for myself, I am happy to think he was married.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:38am

martha,

As you probably can guess I believe that Jesus/Isa was married.  Many of the Prophets wives in the Old Testament and Quran are not mentioned specifically, does that mean that they were not married.  No, of course not.  I think the silliness of Jesus having to be celibate and unmarried comes from the false concept that he was God incarnate.  I heard somewhere for him to reach the age of 33 and be called Rabbi in that time period of Judaism he would have had to have married. 

There was also a push in the early Church to strip away healthy sexual ideals and the rights of women.  Sex of any kind was considered bad, even between man and wife.  The early church was messed up in its concepts of sin and the fall of man.  Women were blamed, Eve marked with the first sin, and to have Jesus had to be above the carnal sexual desires of the sinful mortal man. 

Messed up isn't it.  Its impossible for the guilt triping "Traditional" Christians to picture Jesus as a loving husband to a chaste wife with the honor and love that comes from being a good husband.

The Prophets teach through example.  Though I don't believe Jesus to be "just" a Prophet, I believe that his teachings were also by example.  How can you teach the world about righteousness if you cannot show him how men and women are supposed to live in God's Plan.  Man and woman, Husband and Wife...as God ordained it should be.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:47am

Hi Angela,

Thanks for that. I know it's a subject that many dont like to discuss. But it would be logical to think Jesus was married.  Thanks for replying.

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

(Wasnt sure where to put this new topic. Apologies if it is in the wrong section. )

When I was a Christian I came to understand that Jesus came to show people the way and to bring to pass the immortality of man. Jesus himself was baptised by John the Baptist in the river Jordan, to show the people that baptism was a necessary step to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. As marriage is also ordained by God, would it also have been necessary for Him to marry whilst on this earth, to show by example?

There are no such entries in the Bible of this event, not that I know of anyway. Many Christians would say that he lived a celibate life. But as a man who felt every kind of emotion, would it make sense that he would have had a wife? Some would say that Mary Magdelene was his wife. After he forgave her past history, she was constantly by His side, washed his feet, prepared meals. He first appeared to her, as the Bible says, after his death, before ascending into Heaven. 

Also, what is the muslim view on Jesus being married, if any. Is there any mention anywhere?

I  was just wondering. It isnt a big deal as such, just wondered if anyone else had thought the same. As for myself, I am happy to think he was married.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Following link may be helpful in this respect.

Some excerpts:

Although the Qur��n does not say anything about Jesus� marriage, his wife or children (nor does the New Testament); there is nothing wrong from the Islamic point of view if he was married and produced children. Allah says in the Qur��n:

We did send Messengers before thee, and appointed for them wives and children: and it was never the part of a Messenger to bring a Sign except as Allah permitted (or commanded). For each period is a Book (revealed). (Hud 13:38)

http://www.thetruecall.com/home/modules.php?name=News&fi le=article&sid=275

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
robin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:36am

The spirit-begotten, anointed brothers of Christ become underpriests of the High Priest, �a royal priesthood.� (1Pet 2:9; Rev 5:9, 10; 20:6) These do a priestly work, a �public service� (Php 2:17), and are called �ministers of a new covenant.� (2Cor 3:6) These called ones must follow Christ�s steps closely, faithfully, until laying down their lives in death; Jehovah will then make them a kingdom of priests, making them sharers in divine nature, and will reward them with immortality and incorruption as joint heirs in the heavens with Christ. (1 Pet 2:21; Rom 6:3, 4; 1Cor 15:53; 1 Pet 1:4; 2 Pet 1:4) The purpose of the covenant is to take out a people for Jehovah�s name as a part of Abraham�s �seed.� (Acts 15:14) They become the �bride� of Christ, and are the body of persons whom Christ takes into a covenant for the Kingdom, to rule with Him. (John 3:29; 2Cor 11:2; Rev 21:9; Luke 22:29; Rev 1:4-6; 5:9, 10; 20:6) The purpose of the new covenant requires that it continue in operation until all of the �Israel of God� are resurrected to immortality in the heavens.

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 2:28am
Could you explain in easier terms please. Do you consider that Jesus could have been married?
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
robin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 9:59am
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Could you explain in easier terms please. Do you consider that Jesus could have been married?

Only a 144,000 of his follower will make up his symbolic wife and become kings with him in heaven to form the kingdom of God!
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:13am
You still havent answered my question. Did Jesus have a wife here on earth?
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic