IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Uncontrollable Anxiety.Plz advise  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Uncontrollable Anxiety.Plz advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uncontrollable Anxiety.Plz advise
    Posted: 02 December 2007 at 1:57pm

Assalam Alaikum dear sisters,

I suffer from extreme anxiety and unnecessarily worry about things that I have no control. I try to pray regularly and pray to Allah to help me curb those feelings . When I miss prayers I constantly feel guilty about it . To be honest I feel I m sometimes lazy for not doing salah. Any words of wisdom here about how to acheive willpower and control over my thoughts.

Jazak Allah

Shukriya

Edited by samya
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 9:42pm

Salaams Samya,

welcome to the forum!

I know there are ways to help people with extreme anxieties and such.. I am just not too familiar with them. Other might have some possible suggestions.

One thing that has helped me with my own mental thoughts is exercise.. do you get a chance to exercise? I have studies martial arts for 16 years and it has paid tremendous benefits to focusing the mind, which helps when I can be dome too obsessive about thinking about certain things.

Where do you live? I know whenI was in Pakistan I was better with my prayers as they have the Adhan and it really helps to have it. I know there are special clocks, computer programs to help people.

Are there other things you tend to worry about excessively?

Again welcome  

Hayfa

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2007 at 10:58pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Sister Hayfa, does martial arts really help? I donno, so was asking of it.

Sister Samya,

Go thru this whole thread - we have few tips there to gain concentration.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7552& ;PN=1&TPN=6

Its very good to know that u try to offer your salah regularly. But this laziness is nothing but whisperings of satan, which tend us to delay. How can satan allow you to prostrate. When u jerk those thoughts and stand up for salah, then it itselves is a Jihad. Prepare yourselves for salah before Adh'aan or soon after Adh'aan. Answer to the call for the prayers {Adh'aan} and offer it. A sort of happiness that we gain during, is unexpressable. Do try it sister.

You must be knowing that Allah swt, loves that salah which is offered in time. And just recall yourselves, those hadith which explain us the punishments of those who delay or miss there salah. We then hasten ourselves to offer it.

Salah is a sort of communication between a believer and Allah. When we stand for offering salah, we stand folding our hands as a humble slave. We make dua - {Surah -Fataha} , and recite other chapters too.Don't u love to stand before your Lord and thank him for his bestowings ?  Just go thru the above link of the thread. Also its previous pages . Its better, if your start up from first page itself , as it may be helpful to u alot - insha-Allah.

To get rid of laziness, we have a dua . Kindly go thru - Dua thread or daily dua { I donno the name of that thread exactly}. Its at Basics of Islam section. That dua is like this

Allahumma innee a'oozubika minal hammi wal huzni wal ijzi wal kasali wal bukhli wal jubni wa zal'id daini wa ghalabatir rijali.

Meaning of this dua , though not exact -- but we seek Allah swt's  refuge  from sorrow , troubles, laziness , helplessness, being  miser,  being coward .

Try to busy your heart with any of the Dhikrs, even during your other jobs. For, it keeps away from the whisperings of satan.

May Allah swt guide us. Ameen.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 6:17am

As-salaam alaykum warahamatullah wabarakatuh

You're welcome dear sister Samya.

My sisters have spoken about the"Spiritual" remedy,my contribution is on the Medical perspective of'your unresolved anxiety'.It is called"Generalized Anxiety Disorder"-GAD for short.

Please use the search engine,am sorry I can't move the site address now.But am very sure you'd get the information you need if you use the search engine on the Internet.Please read on the causes&treatment.

There's also "Social Anxiety Disorder",but I think you fall in the first category as you've stated.It helps to know what this is.The funny thing about it is,some sufferers don't even know they have this 'Disorder' because they still go through life daily like every normal people.

I hope you'd get something worthwhile.Please get back to us&let's see the outcome of your state of mind.

I do worry too,believe me.My present secret therapy?I've decided to accept the fact that there're certain things in life we don't have control over&hence leave Allah to take care of it.I let things take their natural course.And that,my dear sister,is not as easy as it sounds.But am trying!!!!

Goodluck!!

You're welcome to our forum!!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
samya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 12:06pm

Salaam Sisters,

Thank you all very much for your invaluable suggestions. I greatly admire you for your inspirational thoughts and comments and Insha allah we try my best to act on them. I will Insha Allah adopt the following regime on daily basis and update you with the progress I make.

1. Offer Salah  five times daily.
  2. Recite the Dua that was suggested by sister seekshidayath
  3. Replace my thoughts with Dhikr.
  4. Exercise[ I never did in the past]

That is it for now I guess.

To answer some of the qs.

Sister Hayfa I currently live in IL and I have installed the Adhan software that is very helpful.

Sister Lovesakeena I believe Benzodiazepines that are used for treating GAD and other anxiety related disorders do not treat the root cause of anxiety and have lot of side effects especially addictive potential and somnolence.I have never tried them and Inshal Allah My Allah save me from Satan that I think fill my mind with anxieties and uncertainties about daily life things and trivialities.

Thank you all for the warm Welcome. May Allah bless you all.

I will keep u posted.

Jazak Allah.

Samya

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2007 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by samya samya wrote:

Assalam Alaikum dear sisters,

I suffer from extreme anxiety and unnecessarily worry about things that I have no control. I try to pray regularly and pray to Allah to help me curb those feelings . When I miss prayers I constantly feel guilty about it . To be honest I feel I m sometimes lazy for not doing salah. Any words of wisdom here about how to acheive willpower and control over my thoughts.

Jazak Allah

Shukriya

Dear Sister,

Salaamu Alaykum,

I went to the link the brother provided, and found this in that content concerning Taqwa, and the very wise Sister Umzziba's comments concerning it.  I pasted it here. 

There are some other useful discussions we have had on this topic; however, I haven't got the time just now to do a forum search for you.  If you have some time and the ability, try to look for things related to your topic on "forum search", beside the "help" on the upper right of these discussion pages.

Assalamu alaikum,

Very nice topic Sister Fatima!  Nice to see you back Sister Abeer!

Anyway, I thought I would start by posting this for the benefit of those who are not so familiar with Arabic terms:

Word: Taqwa
Meaning: Taqwa is a concept in Islam that is interpreted by some Islamic Scholars as God consciousness. It has many further understandings and interpretations. Taqwa may mean piousness, fear of Allah, love for Allah, and self restraint.
True Form: listen ����
Grammar: word;
Explanation:

Having Taqwa allows a person to be constantly aware of both God's presence and attributes and a reminder of their relationship and responsibility to God as His creation and servant. The scholars explain that the way to taqwa is through obedience of God, avoiding disobedience, and striving to stay away from doubtful matters.

This is from a site called islamic-dictionary.com, very useful to those just learning Arabic!

Anyway, back to taqwa and the subject at hand.  For myself, I do believe that the intention is everything.  I know I have read ahadith that address this issue (but don't have one handy at the moment!).  I have read that even if we do not carry out a deed, just having the intention to do so is rewarded by our Merciful Allah.

Sometimes I think Muslims get all wrapped up in worrying over rituals and traditions and forget the basis of it all, which is taqwa!  To be Allah conscious at all times moves one to have the best intentions, which in turn keeps us mindful of doing rituals correctly.

So, it is a matter of taqwa first and all else will fall into place as it should!

Also, Dear Sister, referring to the writing in red above, about intentions, I made woodoo and started out to pray, but my children needed me right away, and I completely missed that Salat, and remembered it when the sky was dark. 

Children are a blessing and a trial!  And we all must try to do the best we can, and concentrate keeping Taqwa in our hearts.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2007 at 4:41am

Dear Samya,

What Lovesakeenya tells you above is very likely to be the problem.  Generalised Anxiety Disorder is not uncommon, but can make life very tough for the one who suffers from it.

The National Institute of Mental Health has an excellent free e-book on Anxiety Disorders.

See:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorder s/summary.shtml

The WebSite in general is very useful too.

Cassie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic