IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chelle’s interview with Dr. Ahmad Sakr.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chelle’s interview with Dr. Ahmad Sakr.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 2:36am

Chelle: 

10. Does your denomination have a designated leader, such as a Pope or Prophet? If so, does he/she speak for God infallibly?

Sakr:We have people in the Muslim world, there are different levels appointed by the government. There are imams, sheikhs (they lead the community in their prayers), mufti (higher level), quadi � judge, grand mufti (top leader)

mm: It was a good question. Dr Sakr should have replied Yes or No. Then what a government has got to do with it?? That is not explained. Is it a govenment party?? The question of infallibility has also not been answered. That was an important question. Answer has been avoided.

Is it a group without a leader?? Or a ship without a Captain??

Chelle: 11. What is the procedure by which your denomination can change its teaching on something? Does one person get a revelation? Do delegates at a convention vote on it?

Sakr: Any religious decision has to be discussed with the grand mufti and he will give the final decision

mm:Another good question. It shows that there is no revelation. The matters are decided by mutual consultation. That is good. But the base of decision should have been told  e.g. All matters are in accordance with the teachings of Quran and Sunnah (I am sorry if this had been descibed by Dr Sakr in earlier questions, then forget it.) Hadith also has a major part in it.

The interpretation of the Quran, Sunnah and Hadith is done by their Ulema and the Grand Mufti will give the final decision. That is good.

Chelle: 12. To what extent does your denomination seek to develop inter-denominational ties with other churches? If so, which ones?

Sakr: We have many. We have been asked that we have interfaith meetings with everybody. During the month of Ramadan we do it at a hotel and we invite Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, all of them. There is no proselytizing, no teaching, just meeting together and sharing commonalities.

mm:That is good to know each other. But that is not enough. There must be peaceful preaching. The message has to be given in clear words very gently to the non Muslims. That is called Tableegh.

These meetings could be useful as a stepping stone only. What the Shia Sunni has to do with it, that I have not understood. Is Dr. Sakr a Shia?? Or, is he a part of Tableeghi Jamaat?? Please reply.

Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 5:50am

I may ask Chelle as to who prepared such a good questionare.

My professor did.

Is Dr. Sakr a Shia??

I don't know.  That's what I was trying to find out when I asked his denomination.  Most of his answers seem to indicate he is Sunni though.

Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 6:16pm
What do you guys think?  Based on his answers...is he Sunni...or Shi'a...or something else? 
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 6:21pm

What i know is, he;s a sunni. I have n't heard him earlier but read his articles sometime ago just twice or thrice. He seemed to be biased towards Shias.

Allah knows the Best

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chelle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2007 at 6:31pm
He's a Sunni, but he's biased towards Shi'as?  Does that seem strange?
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2007 at 12:40am
I still never had my question answered. How can, in the absence of logic, could one conceive of not create a distinction by identifying themselves on top of something else? Meaning, how can I call myself a Sunni Muslim when, as a Muslim one of the obligation is to follow the sunnah of the prophet? Regardless whether this man is Shia or Sunni, I firmly believe that Sunni, as well as Shi'ite are noticed as sects of Islam comprise in sub-sects varying in beliefs based upon certain minute (or great) differences in Madhabds perhaps. This is only speculation based upon the varying views of Scholars of old and centuries of great philosophical work.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2007 at 3:52am

Chelle and Seekshidayath, thank you for telling that the person is a Sunni but inclined to Shiaism. It does matter. These two sects cannot be reconciled. The beliefs are very much different and highly opposing.

There are many people like that. There is a report of another religious leader, one like that who is a Sunni and inclined towards the Shias. I will have to read the interview all over again to be able to raise more questions. I need to know more about Sakr, where he lives?? Works??  Does his denomination have any name?? etc.

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 4:09am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

I need to know more about Sakr, where he lives?? Works??  Does his denomination have any name?? etc.

For now I can say that he is Director at San Gabriel Valley Islamic Center in California. The Islamic centers were Saudi Rabita Islami controlled but after 911 things have become less dependent on that link! The denomination thing was generally Whabi based which is considered a fifth column as far as the Sunni schools are concerned. If you really want I can find it out exactly!
After listening to his lecturers such as khutba or health related I would classify him in holistic school!(this is my definition)
His one lecture on nutrition made one of my child into a vegan!
He comes to Milads so he can't be a Whabi.
His Phd is in I believe in biochem or some thing related. He is a good talker when it comes to fund raising! He has been tutorerd in Lebanon by some scholar I am forgetting the details about!

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic