IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ask an Atheist  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsk an Atheist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ask an Atheist
    Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:38am
Seekshidayath and I have been having a lively discussion via PM about my atheism, and I decided to make a post for any others curious about my lack of belief. Well, to open I guess I should define atheism. There are two variations, strong and weak, but I personally am a weak atheist or an agnostic atheist as it is sometimes called. This constitutes a mere lack of belief in any God, basically I hold the same view towards Leprechauns, Unicorns, God, ghosts, or any claimed supernatural phenomena: I'll believe it when I see the evidence.

Anyway, I'm here so ask away.
A proud constitutional democratic republican.

The board's friendly neighborhood atheist.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:42am

Diagoras,

Nice that you are so open about being an atheist. If you are happy then that is fine. I have often met atheists on my travels. Still dont understand tho' that when disaster happens anywhere in the world they are very quick to blame God!!!

Diagoras View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:43am
I don't blame God, I don't think he exists. 

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:52am
Thats OK then. You must be a very rare atheist!!  Doesnt it get lonely sometimes? Would love to know how you feel about life etc etc.
Diagoras View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 8:00pm
Lonely? Not at all. I have my friends and family, that's enough.

Life is an awfully big concept. Could you splice it down to a question?

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 2:19am

Diagoras,

One of the best explanations for the lack of belief [and belief] in God is the crucial element which is: Socio-cultural environment. There are several levels that contribute to a persons "lack of faith"

1) The individual grew up in a non-religious/non-spiritual household

2) The individual lives in a secular and/non-religious environment e.g. neighborhood, school and community are not religious.

3) The individual grows up ignorant of religion thus develops a natural ignorance [or disbelief] in a spiritual reality.

4) The individual experiences a tragedy in one's life therefore holds religions whose gods are based on universal morality, in contempt.

5) The individual is taught not to believe in God(s)

Diagoras I'm sure of the above five, you are one of the several categories I've just listed. I have spoken with many atheist and actually had a recent conversation with one the other day who called himself, "areligious" meaning he has not particular preference in his dislike for religions and their gods. What I was trying to prove was that the basis of faith [or the lack thereof] are subjective truths only relevant to us. The most important thing I'm trying to say is that whether you believe or not depends upon the environment you grew up in where is may or may not foster your belief in a higher power(s).

Atheist like theist act like what they believe is so object that it can be infallible which is not the case. Although I'm a firm believer in God, I'm not ignorant in the fact that I may be wrong. Because I'm only a human being and cannot possibly know beyond my own capacity I therefore can only say that faith is the backbone of my belief in God and I cannot presume to objectively show that God physically exists. Diagoras no Muslim, Jew, Sikh, Hindu or whatever can show you God. Those of us who believe in God hold God to be incorporeal, that is, a non-material entity. "The molecules in your occular lens" will not be able to comprehend God because physical quality is substantially dependent upon other things and God is without dependencies-so to speak. These are all general beliefs Muslims have of God.

The more important thing to remember here is like yourself, we have grounded beliefs but all of our beliefs are the product of our environment. Diagoras that is why you do not believe in God. But because I grew up in a religious environment, the transition from one Abrahamic faith to another was not difficult because the belief in a higher source was always there.

layalee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:28am

Diagoras,

welcome to the forum. I have a sincere question that I always personally wanted to ask an atheist. Now while you probably been asked this question before, I would love for you to answer it because this question will help lead me to ask you further questions that may allow us to engage in an interesting discussion/ debate.

question: Take a moment and consider the world we live in, the species, planets, even down to the microscopic species, and even atoms which we can't even see! Consider that the examples named have a design which allows them to fuction. Take the atom, while so small, the atom can even be broken down(protrons, nutrons, etc)!

Wouldn't it take a creator to develop this fantastic design of life? Wouldn't it be IMPOSSIBLE for the world and everything in it just 'pop up' with out having a creator? Even if one was to say that one tiny little matter, led to the evolution and creation of other life forms and what we see around us, isn't it still a fact that one source is responsible for that ONE matter that evoluted into everything we see?

Love to here your response 

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:48am

Sister layalee,

Couldn't you say a super-intelligent alien being [who acquired the ability to create life on other planets] started the cycle of life on Earth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
  Share Topic