IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijabi’s kick butt.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijabi’s kick butt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 4:37am

Well in a way rock on Sister!

I do however, agree with Israfil. I teach self-defense and we always recommend if it is a property crime to give them your property (and this is in US, I speak for no other cultures). If a person has a weapon they most likely will use it if you resist.

I have heard more stories of people who resisted a proprty crime and had been shot or stabbed to death. This goes for men and women.

We never teach women to fight for property. It is not worth you life. If it is a personal crime-rape, sexual assault, physical assault, it is often better to fight then not. But always its a woman's choice.

She "reacted" and kept her wits about her, but more often then not, this response would result in grave injury to her. 

I am sad she had to go through the expeience. It is VERY scary! Thanks to Allah she is alright.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 8:56am

Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10242007/news/regionalnews/tiny_ chop_keeper_kicks_gunmans.htm

As-salaam Alaikum,

I have a question.  If the story stated she was killed by the robber after she gave he/she what she wanted.  She didn't fight back.  What would be said on this forum?

Hakeema

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 9:04am
Originally posted by hakeema hakeema wrote:

Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10242007/news/regionalnews/tiny_ chop_keeper_kicks_gunmans.htm

As-salaam Alaikum,

I have a question.  If the story stated she was killed by the robber after she gave he/she what she wanted.  She didn't fight back.  What would be said on this forum?

Hakeema

Hakeema very good question and good inquiry on the issue. I would say it would not have made it to the forum. However, if it had, I'm sure I'd respond with something relating to my condolences but I doubt it would get the responses it has now.

aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 11:21am

The "law" of Allah (swt) says you can defend yourself. If you are successful, you deserve to be congradulated not criticized or second guessed.

Masha-Allah she did well against a "REAL" robber.

Respectfully
aka2x2
sakeena View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakeena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2007 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

The "law" of Allah (swt) says you can defend yourself. If you are successful, you deserve to be congradulated not criticized or second guessed.

Masha-Allah she did well against a "REAL" robber.

No one cares what the "law" of Allah (swt) says. Ok, astagfirallah, end sarcasm.

Yes, she did very well, even if it was wrong for her to do it, which the majority of folks seem to think. Which is absolutely fine by all means. It's ok, I suppose, to say she was "lucky" instead of blessed. But I guess that is matter of opinion *shrug*

It's fine to talk about the "what if's", but it's just allegory brought about to prove a certain point. Wait wait wait, I feel that I am going to end up banging my head against a wall. Disregard.

Swell not thy cheek in pride...
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 2:08am

Sakeena wow that was a weird post you made.....

Aka2x2,

I applaud this woman's courage however I don't encourage it. Here is why I don't think what she did was smart

1) She is a small framed woman. Her frame is important because she was wielding an axe, and if the robber is a lot bigger asnd stronger he can easily use the weapon against her.

2) Most robberies of this nature usually end up with little loss. Arson happens to be a bigger crime than simple robbery. Because most local stores carry petty cash not large amounts of money, but robbers tend to think store owners carry large amounts of money in registers.

3) If it is money, it can be replaced. If it is items it can be replaced.

This isn't about criticizing someone its about stating the facts. If you had a store would you encourage your mom to defend it with an axe or a gun? Even as a police officer I would not fight the robber and leave the crime solving to the proper authorities. I encourage no individual to try to take the law into their hands.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2007 at 4:17am

Sakena,

I don't think it is cricizing as much as it is educating. If everyone is like "oh great" etc. etc. And women then think "I ought to protect my property "and they try and get killed. I would feel responsible for not having spoken up.

Its like any endeavor, there are better options then others. Self-defense as been my profession for years. I feel it would be wrong if I do not let other women know this is probably not your best choice. Yes it is a choice but not the best one. If we go around "promoting" it then it might lead to a very deadly decision by someone.

As Israfil said, would you want you mom risking death for $100?

Take care.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 11:06am

Israfil

You have given good advice. I understand your reasoning. It is very logical and it may even be true most of the time. The problem is fights are seldom logical. Therefore, the outcome is never predetermined. The story of this lady proves that point.

I also believe we are losing sight of the bigger picture here. I think this kind of story has a big impact on hoodlums. Because of the courage of this tiny woman thugs are less likely to initiate violence against Muslims. If that becomes the case all of us will be safer and we will owe it to her and people like her.

Respectfully
aka2x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic