IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question of prayer positions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question of prayer positions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question of prayer positions
    Posted: 23 August 2007 at 9:03am

I have been "researching" Islam for the past year in order to find Truth.  What I'm doing is finding out every aspect that a Non-Muslim should know in order to make that decisoin to convert. 

I have been wanting to make salat but I still have questions about the positions.  I want to make sure I'm not insulting anyone, the practice, or even God.  There is one position (while kneeling) where the right foot in not flat.  I've asked my friend that instroduce Islam to me but he's not aware of the reasoning for that.

Is there an illustration somewhere that I and others can view each position, the meaning behind them, and the words to go with them?

Peace and Blessings

Usmani View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 6:23am

This is because the fingers of the right feet faces the front position .As it remains in this position in the rest of salat.

Just think that if you are talking to the President of yours country and if during the talk you turn your position to 180 degree,so surely he will not like it.So while we praying to GOD we even try to maintain the fingers position in front as mush as posible.

Engage your self in good deeds,otherswise yours nafs will engage you in bad deeds
Wannabe View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 9:55am
So is it just the right foot?  Also is there an illustration or "instructions" if you will on how salat is properly done?
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 10:20am
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Wannabe View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 5:02pm
One last question if I may.  I am a working single mother.  In order to keep with the obligatory five prayers, how can I work around my 8am-5pm schedule to do so?  Where do you suggest I perform salat? 
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2007 at 7:26pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

you may like to visit this site it covers a range of topics and is great for anyone studying islam,

http://muslim-canada.org/sitedex.htm

This section is about prayer in general,

http://muslim-canada.org/sitedex2.htm#hanafi

If you would like an in depth and clear look at the evidence as well as a discussion into the Islamic prayer according to one of its traditional schools of law i would recommend Fiqh Al-Imam.

http://www.whitethreadpress.com/publications/fiqh_imam.htm

You may also like to visit www.Sunnipath.com and checkout there Q&A section which is offered in two of Islams four legal schools of law.

regarding your question, many workplaces offer a prayer room for there workers, alternately you could do them on your lunch break in a store room and if that is not possible it would be fine if you miss them and then make them up at home but the benefit would not be the same.

I will tell you something about islam that many uneducated muslims do not know, its something that if a friend of mine knew and was taught him by the muslims who introduced him to islam would have stopped him from turning away from the religion. In Islam we have something called a rukhsa or simply a dispensation, these are exceptions to Islamic laws in extreme circumstance. Ill insha allah give you a few examples....

You may know muslims can not drink alcohol or eat pork as it is sinful, but say a muslim was in the desert starving or dying of thirst it would be permissible for him to drink alcohol or eat pork to save his life. Pregnant women are permitted to not fast during ramadan if they fear such a fast would harm the child, so similarly if work is stopping you from praying and you have no means of praying then it would be fine to make them up latter.

The rules are not as rigid as some may perceive if there is a real need or obstacle, insha allah that clarifies somethings for you.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic