IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ramadan and smokers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ramadan and smokers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramadan and smokers
    Posted: 18 August 2007 at 2:19am

Hey...

I've been trying to quit smoking for 10 yrs. Its not easy in ramadan, but I do manage.

My question is, this ramadan, I'd like to quit all together. So does using nicotine patches nulify my fast?

Plz do not answer unless you really know.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2007 at 12:11pm
Raze,

I quit smoking 3 years ago without the use of patches, gum or pills.  Its the hardest thing you could ever do.  I smoked for about 9 years and was about a pack a day just two months before quitting.  I had cut back to about a half a pack a day before I decided to quit.  Here is my suggestion.  In preparation for quitting, start to reduce the cigarettes two as few as you can handle.  Secondly, if you smoke full or lights, switch to ultra lights.  Then when you are emotionally ready, prayer is the best defense against smoking.  I quit, cold turkey as they call it, with no aid but my family and most importantly God.  When you want a cigarette, pray.  I was able to use cinnamon gum to help keep me from smoking...the cinnamon causes the smoke to burn your mouth.  So during evening/night hours after sunset, that can help.  Also, I picked up a hobby to help.  I cross stitch, it keeps my hands and mind busy.  Perhaps you could try some craft.  Barnes and Noble sells Calligraphy sets....you could start learning Calligraphy, or painting, or even wood carving.  Just something that keeps you busy.  Be careful not to trade one addiction for another.  Be careful after Ramadan to watch eating to keep from smoking and be careful of being in places with alot of other smokers.  I have found that when I stay away from temptation, I succeed the best. 

Its hard, I won't lie.  Its physically, mentally and emotionally painful, but through prayer and force of will.  You can do it.  I did.  God Bless you and aid you in this time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic