IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Radio, TV & Film
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Television and our Children  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Television and our Children

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2005 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by fezziwig fezziwig wrote:

Commercial TV has one purpose: to sell products.

That's true.

Quote The advertisers will use ANY device to capture your attention and keep it. They will use any content that will lure you within striking distance of their propaganda.
Yes that's true. but also....Well, if you let them .

For me, well they can advertise all they want but I do not give in! They can send all the catalogues in the mail week after week and with their sales, I will still not cave in, Unless there is something I need and it happens to be on sale, then I'll buy - if I need it. Actually what I don't like is that you buy something and the following week its on special! with that you can't win

Quote All of us are sufficiently vain (and deluded) to think we can watch the programs without buying the products. We are wrong. And the advertisers have the data to prove it.

Speak for yourself.

Quote They know that they govern your buying and they can PROVE it to the companies that hire them.

LOL!                                                                                              

They haven't come across me

Quote Can you doubt their power?

And who's faults that? Why do they have this power?

I believe that any educated person who learns advertising and pyschology will also have that power. 

Quote Why else would any sane person drive thru a McDonalds and buy an overpriced meat patty of grease and salt with a pennies worth of lettuce to feign healthiness wrapped in a tasteless non-nutritional piece of bleached bread? And an order of grease-soaked starch as well?! And then eat this mess while driving down a crowded freeway?

If this desciption doesn't put people off, then nothing will, LOL  

I don't know, I like my McDonald but I don't let them rule me

Quote One cannot escape the conclusion that participating in commercial radio/TV is to surrender oneself to blatant manipulation.

Ah, well if you know their manipulation and why they are doing it,why fall for it? And is it so hard to leave the room in a commerical break? or just let it fly over your head. I listen but that's just it, only listen I don't fall for any crap, anyway some ads are cool

Quote You become submissive to a merciless master. A master who, regardless of his smiling charm, will feed your discontent and steal your purse.

Ah, again, speak for yourself.

Quote What can be done! Resist and find alternatives.

Have done

Quote Turn away from the crap. Reject the ads. Think for yourself.

F

Have done and do

Angel. {the slightly embrassed one because she feels she doesn't fit in with the others who get sucked in}  

zulkharnain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulkharnain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 10:21pm
I agree on Semars thoughts
muslim_gal1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslim_gal1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 4:28am
muslim_gal1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muslim_gal1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 4:28am
just droping by to say SALAAMZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic