IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - i believe Quran and Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i believe Quran and Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by 2Acts 2Acts wrote:

Originally posted by syed_z syed_z wrote:

Originally posted by Saved Saved wrote:

Jesus tells us in so many ways doing to people the evil they do to you will only make the world blind and lame. We are to love our enemies and pray for those that use and abuse us. There is no other better way; that is the truth that trumps falsehood.

Regards,
Saved
Saved,Please learn your own scriptures before you come here to preach us.The thirty-fourth verse of the tenth chapter of Matthew quotes Isa (alaihi Salaam) as having said, �Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.� (Matt: 1034) It is written in the fifty-first verse of the twelfth chapter of Luke that Isa (alaihi Salaam) said, �Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:� (Luke: 12-51) All the best.

It is obvious Jesus was talking figuratively. He was simply saying his message would bring division. He was not and never did advocate violence. Unlike Mohamad. There are dozens of verses in the Quran that advocate violence.

The sword is a common Biblical image. The Roman short sword was an axe, a knife, even a shovel. Searching through the Bible the imagery is usually of dividing and cleaning. Separating good from bad, meat from bone, removing excess fat and sinew. We even have God's tongue appearing as a sword in Revelation, sorting out the final judgment

Sometimes the sword is a tool of violence, but not often. Most Biblical violence is in the OT histories. The ability to forge iron was a closely guarded Phoenician technology the Israelites did not have. In the story of the defeat of Sisera in Judges, Deborah's entire army only had one brass sword.

By Mohammed's time weaponry and metallurgy had become much more advanced.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Ceo3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceo3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 8:49pm

Originally posted by Ceo3 Ceo3 wrote:

Going back to about 700AD there is proof via discovered Quranic script that what we have today is exactly the same. Also non muslim historians prove that Muhammad SAW did speak the words.

Now criticisms of Quran are from the mouth of Muhammad SAW up until when it was written down. There were 100s of companions who memorised the Quran and they come together to collate into book form.

Some doubt this method, however today their are millions in the world who have memorised the Quran all 6000 plus verses in order, from 6 yrs old. You can take one from Malaysia, to Egypt to England to USA and they will all recite the same. No other book ever has been on such a large scale been commited to memory.

In 1972 a large number of ancient Quranic manuscripts, dating from first century of Hijra were discovered in the Great Mosque of Sana�a (Yemen), which significantly differs from the present standard one.
This challenges the orthodox Muslim belief that the Quran, as it has reached us today, is �the perfect, timeless, and unchanging Word of God�. It means the Quran has been distorted, perverted, revised, modified and corrected, and textual alterations had taken place over the years purely by Human hands.

Millions have memorised the Quran. Really !Which Quran ? The original one or the changed one ? Muslims willnever know because Uthman destroyed the originals !

Like a drowning man clutching on straws, your retort if not anything offered some amuzement.

How have these manuscripts differed? Is it the grammatical content, writing style or is each word still the same as per 1400 years ago? Kindly check your facts.

Millions have memorised 1 Quran, and one can only memorise from a teacher which links back to beginning of Islam.

So we have 2 solid methods of having preserved the Quran. Can the followers of Bible and Torah make the same assertion? Surely you must concede Quran better chance of preservation than other books. Also Islam came when there were better writing instruments and the full light of history was shining.
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 10:02pm

Saved,Please learn your own scriptures before you come here to preach us.The thirty-fourth verse of the tenth chapter of Matthew quotes Isa (alaihi Salaam) as having said, �Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.� (Matt: 1034)
I know my Scriptures. And what your refer to as preaching is to dispel your misconceptions of the gospel and you have many.
The sword Jesus is talking about is the sword of the spirit (The Word of God) It is written the word of God is quick and powerful sharper than any two edged sword piercing to the dividing of the body and the soul and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Google it bro. When did you ever hear of Jesus having an actual steel sword in his hand?

It is written in the fifty-first verse of the twelfth chapter of Luke that Isa (alaihi Salaam) said, �Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:� (Luke: 12-51) All the best.
That is right. When someone is living a lie and hears the truth, it upsets the false peace and sense of security they have. They will have to make a decision that breaks up families and friends most of the times.

If you want to understand the intents of the gospel listen to me, and you can learn a lot. With all due respect, you should be more quick to listen than to speak bro.

PBUY,
Saved

Saved,

You change topics very quick. Let me remind you what you had mentioned earlier:

The next verse in the Quran 16; 126 is just another way of saying an eye for an eye and tooth for tooth which is first and original to the Scripture that came before.

Jesus tells us in so many ways doing to people the evil they do to you will only make the world blind and lame. We are to love our enemies and pray for those that use and abuse us. There is no other better way; that is the truth that trumps falsehood.

My purpose to quote the words of Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) in the Gospel about the sword was to inform you that the Gospel also mentions words like 'Sword' and 'War' 'Division' which can be misinterpreted, infact they are being misinterpreted and have in the past. History speaks for itself.

Constantine the Great commanded the mutilation of all the Jews in his country by cutting their ears and exiled them to various places. In 372 C.E., the Roman emperor Gratianus, after a consultation with his commanders, commanded the Christianization of all the Jews in the country and the killing of those who would resist.

Misinterpretation of the words of Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) has indeed taken place in the past and continue to do so by the Christians.

The thirty-sixth verse of the twenty-second chapter of Luke quotes, �... But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.� (Luke: 22-36)

Does that mean Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) promoted violence? No. But those who claimed to be his followers have done it! So Christianity and all its followers are not about love after all.

As for your 'explanation' of 16:126 as an 'eye for an eye' 'tooth for a tooth' is weak as any person with a little bit of common sense would not agree to yours after reading the following:

(16:125) Call Thou (all mankind) unto your Sustainer's path with wisdom and goodly exhortations, and argue with them in the most kindly manner

(16:126) Hence if you have to respond to an attack (in argument) respond only to the attack leveled against you; but to bear yourselves with patience is indeed far better for (you since God is with) those who are patient in adversity.

The 16:125 guides on how to have a discussion with those who disagree with you therefore 126 is to be read in conjunction with it.

Just like how you misinterpret verses from the Quran so can the words of Gospel be misinterpreted.

As for the concept of unconditional love of Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) I have the following to share with you. His disciples questioned him like you are questioning about Islam. The replies he gave to his disciples are the same that we are giving to you:

Gospel of Barnabas Chapter 58 No Pity on Reprobates

Then after he had wept, John spoke: 'O master, two things we desire to know. The one is, how it is possible that the messenger of God, who is full of mercy and pity, should have  no pity on reprobates that day, seeing that they are of the same clay as himself? The other is, how is it to be understood that the sword of Michael is heavy as ten hells; then is there more than one hell?' Jesus replied: 'Have ye not heard what David the prophet saith, how that the just shall laugh at the destruction of sinners, and shall deride him with these words, saying: "I saw the man who put his hope in his strength and his riches, and forgot God." Verily, therefore, I say unto you, that Abraham shall deride his father, and Adam all reprobate men: and this shall be because the elect shall rise again so perfect and united to God that they shall not conceive in their minds the smallest thought against his justice; therefore shall each of them demand justice, and above all the messenger of God. As God liveth, in whose presence I stand, though now I weep for
pity of mankind, on that day I shall demand justice without mercy against those who despise my words, and most of all against those who defile my gospel.

Amazingly Quran says the same:

(5:78) Those Children of Israel who defied [God] were cursed through the words of David, and Jesus, son of Mary, because they disobeyed, they persistently overstepped the limits, they did not forbid each other to do wrong. How vile their deeds were

Gospel of Mathew Verse 34

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.�

There is no unconditional love. Justice is part of God's love for mankind and had it not been for God's justice mankind would have been worst than it already is.
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Regards,
Saved
Saved,Please learn your own scriptures before you come here to preach us.The thirty-fourth verse of the tenth chapter of Matthew quotes Isa (alaihi Salaam) as having said, �Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.� (Matt: 1034) It is written in the fifty-first verse of the twelfth chapter of Luke that Isa (alaihi Salaam) said, �Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:� (Luke: 12-51) All the best.

It is obvious Jesus was talking figuratively. He was simply saying his message would bring division. He was not and never did advocate violence. Unlike Mohamad. There are dozens of verses in the Quran that advocate violence.

The sword is a common Biblical image. The Roman short sword was an axe, a knife, even a shovel. Searching through the Bible the imagery is usually of dividing and cleaning. Separating good from bad, meat from bone, removing excess fat and sinew. We even have God's tongue appearing as a sword in Revelation, sorting out the final judgment

Sometimes the sword is a tool of violence, but not often. Most Biblical violence is in the OT histories. The ability to forge iron was a closely guarded Phoenician technology the Israelites did not have. In the story of the defeat of Sisera in Judges, Deborah's entire army only had one brass sword.

Greetings David, I appreciate your explanation.

The fact that people like Saved misinterpret words of Quran and claim that its a religion of violence and there is no love, so my point to show him that such words also exist in the Gospel and can be misinterpreted.

I am very well aware of the personality of Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) and all other prophets. They were the best to walk on earth, they are all beloved to us and we make no distinction between the messengers of God, in other words we don't cherry pick Prophets. We don't reject one and accept the other. We Hear the Command of God and We Obey, and that is what defines servitude and a true believer.

I appreciate your words my friend.

Thank you.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 8:45am

Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Regards,
Saved

Greetings David, I appreciate your explanation.The fact that people like Saved misinterpret words of Quran and claim that its a religion of violence and there is no love, so my point to show him that such words also exist in the Gospel and can be misinterpreted. I am very well aware of the personality of Jesus son of Mary (alaihi Salaam) and all other prophets. They were the best to walk on earth, they are all beloved to us and we make no distinction between the messengers of God, in other words we don't cherry pick Prophets. We don't reject one and accept the other. We Hear the Command of God and We Obey, and that is what defines servitude and a true believer.I appreciate your words my friend.Thank you.�

Thank you, Syed. The resource I found most valuable as a Christian in understanding violence in Islam was Martin Ling's biography of Muhammad. Ling used hadith exclusively as his source, so one can read direct accounts of Muhammad acting as a general through a well documented, traditional muslim perspective.

Muhammad's sense of chivalry, fair play and mercy are shown to be a definitive part of his ethos. The Qu'ran is limited in discussing violence, and reading hadith is exhausting. I think Ling did a good job of presenting an orthodox Muslim perspective and anyone interested in understanding violence within Islam as Muslims understand it would do well to start with Ling.

It is also simply a fascinating read, and biography of one of histories most important personalities.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 3:38pm

Regards,
Saved

Syed picks verses out of context in the gospel to justify what he wants to believe and not on what is true. I notice he didn't mention that Jesus stopped Peter from using his sword on those that wanted Jesus dead and judged.

Edited by Saved - 24 November 2016 at 3:59pm
Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 5:49pm

Saved misinterpret words of Quran and claim that its a religion of violence and there is no love, so my point to show him that such words also exist in the Gospel and can be misinterpreted.
I never said the Quran is a religion of violence. You are putting words in my mouth. I said it is interpreted differently by Muslims some interpret it like ISIS and that is giving it a violent interpretation and others see it as peaceful. I see no absolutes regarding violence or non violence. The gospel is absolute where Jesus says love your enemies. There is no such absolutes I can find in the Quran.
I just like calling a spade a spade. I don't like beating around the bush so to speak. You are the one giving misinterpretation to the gospel implying Jesus used a sword to commit violence when I believe you know better.

Edited by Saved - 24 November 2016 at 5:53pm
Saved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Yes like that, everything that God created was not in vain, certainly all be useful as in His word. Allah created heaven and hell, is reserved to those who faithfully execute His commands and for those who don't run His commands. That's why the love of Allah in the Quran is conditional. Here I would like to ask, who created heaven and hell? and then for whom heaven and hell?
But who is able to execute his commands faithfully? The gospel states no one is able to keep the law, and those that live by it will be judged by it or the fact that they didn't keep it perfectly. Remember God is also just. If you break the law in your country don't you get punished for it? We do in America. God's two greatest laws is to love Him with all our being and our neighbor as ourselves, but we cannot do that without God's grace and we can only be justified by faith otherwise God doesn't get the glory and man does. If we earn salvation by keeping the law we can take some credit for it and get the glory. it is not what man does that counts but only what God does through you. That is the message of the gospel.
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Yes, the way we look in the understanding of truth is different, we can only explain the truth in accordance with our respective beliefs, and shouldn't impose one another.

Regards,
Asep
Of course I know we see things from our respective beliefs and I respect that, but that doesn't mean we cannot call things as we see them. I also agree with you that we shouldn't impose on one another, but that shouldn't stop us from witnessing truth that may be interpreted as imposing. That is where the sword Jesus spoke of comes in.

With all due respect to you and your religion. Let me ask you a few questions since you are trying to convince me that the gospel can be interpreted as promoting violence, and I'll rest my case. Did Jesus carry a sword? Did Jesus use a sword on anyone? Did Muhammad carry a sword? Did he use it on anyone? Did Jesus love his enemies? Did Muhammad love his enemies?
We are suppose to model and be like Jesus. Who are you suppose to model?

PBUY,
Saved

Edited by Saved - 24 November 2016 at 7:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic