IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hmmmmm!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmmmmm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 12:20pm

Every major work of Shia hadith documents includes the hadith of Ghadir Khumm (as you can imagine), many relate it 10's of times through different chains of narration. Here are some of the major works of Shia hadith that contain the narrations.

NOTE- Page numbers are not included, as there are many pages for each work.

1.) Al-Kulaini in the book of Al-Kaafi

2.) Al-Siddooq in his work Mun Laa Yah'dharhu Al-Faqeeh

3.) Al-Tah'dheeb in Tah'dheeb Al-Ah'kaam AND Al-Istibsaar

4.) Al-Qummi in Mun Laa Yah'dharhu

and many more. BOTH Shia and Sunni scholars have written entire books which include hundreds of chains of narrations for this hadith

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
delight View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 4:08pm

Salam zaki,

Two questions for you.

1)Shia quote sunni hadeeth claiming them to be sahih or correct.Is there any shia book of hadeeth,which contains all sahih hadeeth?or you pick some hadeeth from your books and discard others?

2)Shia claim that Prophet had divine revelations,other than Quran.

But there are many verses in Quran that were pertinent to that time.
YUSUFALI: Whether ye cut down (O ye Muslim!) The tender palm-trees, or ye left them standing on their roots, it was by leave of Allah, and in order that He might cover with shame the rebellious transgresses.
This indicate the cutting of trees of banu quraiza.This verse do not contain any command important to us now.In fact the whole surah is about the distribution of wealth of banu quraiza,and how medinan should be given more share,

Chapter 29

67. Have they not seen that We have made (Makkah)a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then do they believe in B�til (falsehood - polytheism, idols and all deities other than All�h), and deny (become ingrate for) the Graces of All�h?
This refer to a time when dessert people killed each other,but mecca was safe.

For the protection of the Quraysh. The caravans to set forth safe in winter and in summer. So let them worship the Lord of this House. Who has fed them against hunger, and has made them safe from fear.) (106:1-4)

In the presence of other revealations,there was no need for these verses which point to local events.Because Quran is a message to all humanity.

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 3:03am

Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Rahim

This is an interesting topic, and I would like to see it continue, But would like to make a point, then ask a question

1) There are many verse in the Quran and Hadith that command us to be united and not to create sects

"Be not among the Mushrikun i.e., those who create differences in Deen (Isalm) and become sects. Each (sectarian) party quite content with itself (that it is following the correct path)." (30:32)

"And those who create division in Deen (Islam) and become divided into sects, O Prophet (PBUH)! You have no part in them in the least." (6:159)

just a few examples

So the question is , How do we achieve unity as an Ummah? Many cinics amoung us say that this is not possible, that we must just try and destroy the other party so that our way will be the only one. Every member of every sect thinks that their way is the right way. But how to we obey the order of Allah(s.w.a) and be unified. There must be a way, otherwise Allah(s.w.a.) would not have asked us to do it, because Allah(s.w.a) is Al Adl (Justice). We, as muslims, are unique amoung religion, because unlike other religion, all muslims

A. Worship the same God (Allah s.w.a)

B. Have the same Holy Book (The Holy Quran)

C. Have the same Prophet(Muhammed b.p.u.h

D. Have the same Qibla(Mecca )

Since we all have these in common, we must use these to try and fulfill the order of Allah(s.w.a). We must listen to the Prophet and obey him,  and not let our petty differences halt the discussion, and not insult each other, as I have seen in some of these posts. This is a discussion amoung brothers and sisters , not amoung enemies. Since none of us were alive at the time of Out Beloved Prophet (p.b.u.h), we never had the chance to hear his words directly from his mouth, We must rely on sources of narraration that are well known to be true and acceptable, and are never known to have fabricated hadith. Also , we must look at the big picture and look at events in context, not focus on one word, or one incident.

Here is my question

Some brothers were saying that the events of Ghadeer were not held to announce the Wilayat of Imam Ali (a.s.) . Then why did the prophet hold this event, because obviously it occured, no one denies that.

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 3:42am

Also,

About the Battle of Camel, al-Hakim and Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and others recorded that:

We were in the camp of Ali on the day of Battle of Camel, where Ali sent for Talha to talk to him (before the beginning of war). Talha came forward, and Ali told him: I adjure you by Allah! Didn't you hear the Messenger of Allah (S) when he said: `Whoever I am his MAWLA, this Ali is his MAWLA. O God, love whoever loves him, and be hostile to whoever is hostile to him'?" Talha replied: "Yes." Ali said: "Then why do you want to fight me?"

- al-Mustadrak, by al-Hakim, v3, pp 169,371
- Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, on the authority of Ilyas al-Dhabbi
- Muruj al-Dhahab, by al-Mas'udi, v4, p321
- Majma' al-Zawa'id, by al-Haythami, v9, p107

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 3:54am

Also,

Ahmad Ibn Hanbal recorded in his Musnad that:

Abu Tufayl narrated that He (Ali) gathered the people in the plain of Rahbah (on year 35 AH) and adjured in the name of Allah every Muslim male present there who had heard the proclamation of al-Ghadir from the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) to stand up and testify what they had heard from the Messenger on the Day of Ghadir. Thereupon thirty (30) men stood up and gave evidence that the Prophet grasped Ali's hand and said to the audience: "He (Ali) has superior authority over those who believe me to have superiority over their lives. O Allah! Love him who loves him and hate him who hates him." Abu Tufayl says that it was in a state of great mental agitation that he left the plain of Rahbah, for the Muslim masses had not complied with the tradition. He therefore called on Zaid Ibn Arqam and told him what he heard from Ali. Zaid told him not to entertain any doubt about it for he himself had heard the Messenger of Allah uttering those words.

Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v4, p370

jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 6:46am

Salaam

I would, first, like to make a general point. I AM NOT A SCHOLAR. I have a very limited ability to read and understand the noble Arabic language. For this reason, I have been careful to quote the sources for my opinions, and invite others to make their comments on these sources. But more importantly, I challenge other's to read the works of these scholars, rather than simply dismissing them because of things you have heard from others (who probably have not read them either.)

The reason why I objected to Tijani is because I have read parts of his works where he claims that Shias showed him things he did not know even though he was a scholar or places where he shows things to "Sunni scholars" that they never knew before. And I have asked real Sunni scholars the same questions, and they were able to answer them without any problem, in fact giving more explanations on the issue at hand. So there is obviously something or the other wrong with Tijani's claim of scholarship.

About Murajaat and whether the discussions actually took place, there are many criticisms about this that can be further examined. However, I do not think I need to get into this, unless Ali Zaki thinks it appropriate.

Of course you will not hear any argument from me (or any other Shia) on this point. In fact, Imam Ali (a.s.) condemns his own followers more then his enemies. In fact, the greatest tragedy in human history, the murder of Imam Hussien ibn Abu Talib (a.s.) occured exactly because his shia abandoned him.

In this case, I am not talking about the Companions of the Imaams in general, but those Companions of the Imaams who are relied upon by most of the modern Shia Aalims as upright and correct in their behavior. Still, it will be surprising to see that even some of these followers who are relied by Shias to bring us the actions, words, and knowledge of the Imaams cannot be Shia as understood by the Imami Shia scholars of today. A detailed treatment of this is perhaps beyond the scope of thsi thread.

REGARDING THE COMPANIONS AND THE 'FOLLOWERS' OF THE IMAMS

"They seek to impress upon you that they accepted Islam as a favour to you: Say: 'Do not count your Islam as a favour to me. Allah has done you a favour by guiding you to the faith, if you are truthful'" (49:17).

"And among them are those who listen to you until, when they leave you, they say to those who have been given knowledge: 'What did he say just now?' They are those upon whose hearts Allah has placed a seal. They follow their desires" (47:16).

"And a group from the believers disliked it. They dispute with you about the truth after it was made clear, as if they were being driven to death whilst they were watching it" (8:6).

"The desert Arabs say: 'We believe'. Say: 'You have not believed. Rather, say: 'We have submitted ourselves to Allah' for faith has not yet entered your hearts" (49:14).

"We have come to you with the truth, but most of you hate the truth" (43:78).

I will begin with Verse 43:78. I am not aware of how this can refer to the Companions, since the context of the Ayah is with reference to the Mujrimun in general. Allah says:

[43:74]  Verily, the Mujrimun (criminals, sinners, disbelievers, etc.) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever.
[43:75]  (The torment) will not be lightened for them, and they will be plunged into destruction with deep regrets, sorrows and in despair therein.
[43:76]  We wronged them not, but they were the Zalimun (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
[43:77]  And they will cry: "O Malik (Keeper of Hell)! Let your Lord make an end of us." He will say: "Verily you shall abide forever."
[43:78]  Indeed We have brought the truth (Muhammad SAW with the Qur'an), to you, but most of you have a hatred for the truth.
[43:79] Or have they plotted some plan? Then We too are planning.
[43:80] Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsel? (Yes We do) and Our Messengers (appointed angels in charge of mankind) are by them, to record.

If Ali Zaki wants to show that this is reference to the Companions in specific, then he will have to show us a good number of tafseers were this is mentioned. I am afraid that not even most of Shia commentators would take this Verse in the meaning Ali Zaki is trying to give it. Anyway, Insha allah we will see further into this matter.

Next is Ayah 47:16, its context being:

[47:16]  And among them are some who listen to you (O Muhammad SAW) till, when they go out from you, they say to those who have received knowledge: "What has he said just now? Such are men whose hearts Allah has sealed, and they follow their lusts (evil desires).
[47:17]  While as for those who accept guidance, He increases their guidance, and bestows on them their piety.
[47:18]  Do they then await (anything) other than the Hour, that it should come upon them suddenly? But some of its portents (indications and signs) have already come, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their reminder?

Again, how do we know that these are the Companions of the Prophet? If Ali Zaki maintains this, then he will need to:

1. Show us the tafseers were the Companions are specified as belonging to this group
2. Show us the stories where these Companions met "those who had received knowledge" and said things similar to those contained in this Ayah.

I think we should discuss these two Ayats first, then we cam move on to the remaining three Ayats.

This, again, is incorrect. Please read the hadith again.

"O you people! Know it well that Jibril came down to me several times bringing me orders from the Lord, the Merciful, that I should halt at this place..."

Jibrial CAME DOWN to me several times BRINGING ME ORDERS is not the same as Jibril came down several times ordering me to stop (which implies "Stop where you are!"). If that was the case, then the prophet would have stopped at a different place, and not the place he was ordered to stop at. If that doesn't make sense, then imagine that you are on the freeway and you hear a siren behind you. The policeman says several times, "Get off the freeway at the next off ramp", and you continue driving to the next off ramp and then exit. Can someone accuse you of disobedience?

Insha Allah if I have the time, I will bring the references from Ali Zaki's Shia scholars about the specific things Jibril said to the Prophet before the Ghadeer Khumm event. In the meantime, I would like him to seriously look into how many people where actually present at the event and who was absent, and at the background of Ali's trip that he undertook to Yemen immediately before the Hajj.

IN GENERAL, REGARDING THE ACCEPTENCE BY THE HADITH OF GHADEER KHUMM BY SUNNI ULAMA.

I do not own these books (honestly), and do not know where (or if) they are online to provide the link to the source (which I would prefer). I can tell you that I have, in the past, looked up these hadith for myself in the books (when I had access to them from a Sunni mosque library)  mentioned and have found them to be there.

Regarding the commentary on these hadith, I don't expect that the Sunni scholars will agree with the Shia regarding the significance or meaning of them. Again, if someone can tell me if these books are online I will be happy to attempt to provide exact links.

I doubt that most of these books will be available online in English (or online in Arabic even). But still, Insha Allah it will be acceptable if I can get the verification of these from whichever source is available to me.

REGARDING THE ISSUE OF ' AS HAROON WAS TO MUSA, EXCEPT THAT THERE WILL BE NOT PROPHET AFTER ME'

"Ali, the son of Abu Talib, is my brother, my executor (Wasi), and my
successor (Caliph), and the leader (Imam) after me. His position to me
is the same as the position of Haroon (Aaron) to Moses, except that
there shall be no prophet after me. He is your master after Allah and
His Messenger."

SOURCES:

- A'alam al-Wara, pp 132-133
- Tadhkirat al-Khawas al-Ummah, Sibt Ibn al-Jawzi al-Hanafi, pp 28-33
- al-Sirah al-Halabiyyah, by Noor al-Din al-Halabi, v3, p273

In fact, the prophet (a.s.) clarifys this point in this speech, by explaining that he (Ali) is your master (mawla) AFTER Allah and his messenger. Or, in other words, his authority comes after the authority of the messenger.

This particular series of references will need to be checked, as I am afraid that perhaps Ali Zaki has not done the verification by himself to see whether they meet the Sunni criteria. Still, if this narration is correct, why did the Prophet Muhammad mention two qualities of Ali with respect to Muhammad that Haroon did not possess with respect to Moses ??? Again, I am forced to reiterate that the Prophet seemed to know some of the relationships between Haroon and Moses and how they were applicable between himself and Ali (and also that there is not another Prophet after Muhammad), but on the most crucial and elementary link, he was not aware that the Haroon and Musa similitude was not applicable.... why ???

One more issue to consider about "No Prophethood" after Muhammad (SAW). A good number of Shias I have discussed with consider the post of Imaamah to be higher than the post of Prophethood in general. Also, many consider that the Imaams are higher than Prophets, which would obviously entail that an Imaam is a Prophet plus something additional to that. This is also obvious from the fact that the Imaams in some Shia Ahadeeth explain that they are higher than Musa, or Ibrahim, or Jesus, and that they possess all the qualities, miracles, and knowledge of the previous Prophets. So I believe that this puts a question mark over the "No more Prophethood" claim by the Imami Shias.

REGARDING OMAR AND ABU BAKR CONGRATULATING IMAM ALI

After his speech, the Messenger of Allah asked every body to give the oath of allegiance to Ali (AS) and congratulate him. Among those who gave him the oath were Umar, Abu Bakr, and Uthman. It is narrated that Umar and Abu Bakr said:

"Well done Ibn Abi Talib! Today you became the leader (Mawla) of all believing men and women."

Sunni references:
(1) Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v4, p281
(2) Tafsir al-Kabir, by Fakhr al-Razi, v12, pp 49-50
(3) Mishkat al-Masabih, by al-Khatib al-Tabrizi, p557
(4) Habib al-Siyar, by Mir Khand, v1, part3, p144
(5) Kitabul Wilayah, by Ibn Jarir al-Tabari
(6) al-Musannaf, by Ibn Abi Shaybah
(7) al-Musnad, by Abu Ya'ala
(8) Hadith al-Wilayah, by Ahmad Ibn `Uqdah
(9) Tarikh, by Khatib al-Baghdadi, v8, pp 290,596  from Abu Hurayra
... and more.

If you want to say that there is a difference (in Arabic) between mawla and Imam, this is true, however, I challenge you (again) to explain the difference between "Amir al Muminin" (which is used in Shia sources, and a few Sunni sources) and "Mawla al Muminin" (which is used in most Sunni sources).

If the Companions and the rest of the Muslims took an oath of allegiance with respect to Ali, then the Shia would have to say that the Ghadeer event took  many days to complete... Why ? Because according to the Shia claim, 100000 people were present, and each one had to individually take the oath of allegiance at Ali's hand. Now, an oath of allegiance is a highly important event, not merely based on "congratulation". The Shia may check how the Prophet (SAW) took the oath of allegiance from people during his lifetime, when they became Muslims, or at other important occasions (such as Hudaybiyah). And if the same technique was used in this case (as the Shia claim) then this would would be the "Days of Ghadeer" rather than the "Day of Ghadeer". However, we do not find any such historical trace among Sunni or Shia history about a formal bayah, and even if such a thing is implied, the time it would take is not considered in the whole of the explanation.

I think we should consider this issue above before moving to the difference between Amir and Mawla in linguistic terms.

Abu Hadi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Hadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 7:26am

Salams to br. Jello and others

Jello Said

One more issue to consider about "No Prophethood" after Muhammad (SAW). A good number of Shias I have discussed with consider the post of Imaamah to be higher than the post of Prophethood in general. Also, many consider that the Imaams are higher than Prophets, which would obviously entail that an Imaam is a Prophet plus something additional to that

I have been in the Shia community for 12 years and have talked to hundreds, both laymen and scholars. I'm sorry buy I have never heard this. No shia that I have ever met or talked to has said that the position of the Imamate is higher than prophethood or that there was any human being who received divine revelation after Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h). If you can find anything like this in any Shia book, written by a well known scholar of Shia Islam.Please don't start setting up strawmen. Let's stay on topic, I thought we were talking about Ghadir Khum. Wa Salama

Edited by Abu Hadi
jello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 7:42am

Salaam

Well, I am answering to the general points raised by Ali Zaki. Insha Allah later I will gather all the evidences from Shia laymen and scholars about my assertion, but I suppose this should be for a later time.

Wa Salaam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic