IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Great Jihad ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Jihad ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 2:37am
 Gulliver :
I think Jesus is saying that those seeking signs and wonders are more interested in signs and wonders than in truly knowing God for God Himself. The faith/service/love of God is not pure - it's adulterated.

Thanks for quoting. It must mean the lack of pureness. In the time of all prophets unbelievers demanded signs but some of them did not believe even after seeing the signs.

38Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
 39But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
 40For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

These verses interest me because Massih (as) is talking about one specific and very important sign: the prophet Jonas (as) and the Son of man. It would be interesting to find out the message behind these verses.

Another interesting point is that in Islam we have one Surah in Quran named Jonas and I just checked it and it starts this way:

Quran (10:1,2): A.L.R. These are the ayats of the Book of Wisdom. Is it a matter of wonderment to men that We have revealed Our inspiration to a man from among themselves?- that he should warn mankind (of their danger), and give the good news to the Believers? Tthey have before their Lord the lofty rank of truth. (But) say the Unbelievers: "This is indeed an evident sorcerer!"

I didn't mean it in a negative way. It's what draws anyone to that place of inner contemplation  - the 'holy place' where God meets us. Like Moses in the cave too.

That is right. I just wanted to stress on the difference here.

Same could be said of the bible Myaha. But then there are all the claims of corruption to deal with, and the arguments and counter arguments on that issue.

These claims of corruption are right. There is no doubt that the level of historical authenticity of Quran (which is word by word and 100%) can not be compared to Bible. This is a very clear issue. Nevertheless, Lets only assume that there has been no corruption in Bible as well. So what? Could it be a reason to believe in Bible but not in Quran?

On the other hand, if I understood properly, you were saying that Mohammad s.a.w.a. might have dictated Quran from whatever he had heard in the society about God, religion, preceding prophets, Bible and so on. But Mohammad s.a.w.a. had been brought up and lived inside those people for 40 years. Do you think it is easy to trick all of them by feeding back to them the same hearings and they did not understand it and accepted them as Holy words of God? Is it reasonable? Can you show us a similar example in the history of human being? Furthermore, Could you have the same idea about the prophets before him like Isa (as), Moses (as) and the others with their books?

What you're saying above is it's all a matter of faith. But the question is, faith in what - in whom. That's what I am trying to find out. 

It is faith in our creator, the creator of everything. He loves us and so cares about us. You and all other normal human being (as created beings of the creator) care about their children in their home, don�t they? so the creator does care about His created being. It is faith in His prophets who are sent from Him to guide us towards Him.

Gulliver, you are not a single point in space moving in an aimless chaotic manner. You, as a human being, are coming from a long history. Humans along this history line were not st**id to be tricked easily by a few of them called prophets. One has to think more about the truth with their pure heart and make decision before getting so late.

I'd love to know what Jesus said to the children.  How was Muhammad with children ? Any records of anything he said to children ? :-)

There are many stories in history about the relations between Mohammad s.a.w.a. and children. He always was the first to say greetings (Salaams) to everyone even children. He also used to play with them.

The Prophet of Islam has stated that �If you like someone, express your feelings to them. This expression of love brings you closer to each other." (Mustadrak al-wasail,v 2, p. 67). The Prophet used to play with his children and grand children every morning expressing his love and affection for them. (Mustadrak al-wasail,v 104, p. 99)

There is an online book about upbringing of children in Islam and how it is recommended to behave with them. You can find it here:

http://www.al-islam.org/upbringing

God bless and guide all of us,
With Salaams

Edited by myahya - 31 October 2008 at 7:12am
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 3:00am

Hello Myaha

I don't disagree with anything you have said here. When it come to 'corrpuption' on any scipture. I don't know. I do believe God will tell us what He wishes us to hear in either of them if we aks sincerely for guidance and with humility - ackwnowledging we don't know if or how they may be 'corrupted' or where. Bible or Qu'ran. I don't know Myaha but I trust God enough that God will not let me be deceived and to know Him through both perhaps.  He is the author of all, afterall.

Do you ever have days you just want to stop analysing it all - and all the 'stuff' of it and just be still and pray and believe in God.

Some times I wonder if the ol shaitan doesn't like us expending a lot of energy in all of this, time better spent in prayer and the love/service of others.

But it is all intestesting and helpful none the less. Thanks.

God bless

Kevin
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 3:05am
Faith in what/whom ? For me, it's faith in God. That's all I have ever had and have now. All the rest for the most part just confuses me most of the time and distracts me from what is important. Prayer in all its forms and the doing of God's will - the love and service of others - family, friends and society.

Just have to look outside and see all the beautiful colours of Autumn here and know it did not just spring from a big nothing. We see evidence of God everywhere and I believe most when you look into the eyes of a beautiful innocent child and he/she smiles and you and gives you a big hug :-) That is 'heaven' on earth.

I do believe God loves and cares for us in ways we cannot begin to comprehend. Even looking at our children - we'd gladly shed our own blood if it would help them - prevent them being destroyed in this world.

God bless M

K

myahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:19am
Kevin:
Do you ever have days you just want to stop analysing it all - and all the 'stuff' of it and just be still and pray and believe in God.

The principles like existence of God, existence of Prophets and existence of the next world (I mean the pillars) are to be analyzed for one time and forever. After that, it would be a matter of belief. A believer (if he/she is wise) does not have to analyze them everyday.

Faith in what/whom? For me, it's faith in God. That's all I have ever had and have now. All the rest for the most part just confuses me most of the time and distracts me from what is important. Prayer in all its forms and the doing of God's will

What is your criterion for God�s will? How do you understand what is God�s will? According to what reference?

Just have to look outside and see all the beautiful colours of Autumn here and know it did not just spring from a big nothing. We see evidence of God everywhere and I believe most when you look into the eyes of a beautiful innocent child and he/she smiles and you and gives you a big hug :-) That is 'heaven' on earth.

Islam teaches us to enjoy such beautiful blessings, to care about them, and to be thankful of Allah s.w.t. for them. But at the same time, it also warns us of the next world, if we do not behave fairly with regards to blessings and other created being specifically human being. There is another world with its heaven and hell. Everything is not summarized in what we see in this world.

Besides, I hope to be a Muslim worshiping God not (only) for fear nor (only) for reward but like one that Ali ibn Abu Talib (as) describes:

�A group of people worship Allah s.w.t. out of desire for heaven; this is the worship of traders. Another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of fear from hell; this is the worship of prisoners. Yet another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of gratitude; this is the worship of freemen.�

Edited by myahya - 04 November 2008 at 9:19am
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 10:31am
I know what you mean here Myaha. I was just referring to the odd day. When you are sick and tired of trying to sort out truth from fiction in any of it - all the reading and listening. So you just head off into the hills. I live not far from Donegal in Ireland. It's very beautiful there,  Donegal - called the 'garden of Irleland'. We really do have forty shades of green here :-) And it's  near the ocean which I love. You find God there as surely as in any book. I think the Qu'ran and the Bible recommend this - to see in the Creation how God exists, and is 'worshipped' in and through the existence of that very Creation. God speaks to the weary heart and soul through all of it :-)

It is claimed in Christianity I believe, that the 'commandments' of God are 'written' in the heart. At the end of the day, that's where we discern God's will for our selves. Of course we need knowledge and guidance etc too.

I was really just being light hearted about all the reading, and the confusion that can often exist in places like this - with so many perspectives and beliefs on various matters.

I'd like to reach this stage Myaha

"Yet another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of gratitude; this is the worship of freemen.�

Some times when I pray at night I ask God to forgive me for being so ungrateful and insensitive to the gifts I have been given in this life. I really do, and some times I feel 'like crap' for that ingratitude. Excuse that expression in this context. But it's really how I feel at those times.

Anyway - thank you Myaha.

God bless

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by myahya myahya wrote:

Besides, I hope to be a Muslim worshiping God not (only) for fear nor (only) for reward but like one that Ali ibn Abu Talib (as) describes:�A group of people worship Allah s.w.t. out of desire for heaven; this is the worship of traders. Another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of fear from hell; this is the worship of prisoners. Yet another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of gratitude; this is the worship of freemen.�
I agree, but what about the converse? -- that a God who offers heaven in exchange for worship is a God of traders; and a God who threatens punishment for disobedience is a God of prisoners.  To me, a true God would extend his grace to all people as free men, unconditionally.  It has always seemed to me that all the threats and bribes in the Holy Scriptures of the monotheistic religions are demeaning to the very concept of a loving God.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 1:37am
Have to admit I agree with you again Ron.  When I say that to others, that God often seems like an awful tryant and not unconditionally loving at all -  I am told that God is perfectly 'just' too.  That punishment is due for disobedience/sin.  I have asked before here, and I always ask - what is 'justice'. A few miserly years in this world and we inherit 'eternal' damnation. That's not a loving God at all. If there is a God, I think that it's about learning - and we are allowed to learn from mistakes. We have 'eternity' for God's sake.

Though I would understand the 'worship' of Allah out of gratitude is the 'worship' of a loving God.

Why is fear used to manipulate and control - when in the Christian scriptures it says "perfect love casts out ALL fear."

I really don't see the point of being here, as a supposed 'believer' - if all we are to do here is worry about going to heaven or hell, in the 'afterlife'.

Anyway.........      
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by myahya myahya wrote:

Besides, I hope to be a Muslim worshiping God not (only) for fear nor (only) for reward but like one that Ali ibn Abu Talib (as) describes:�A group of people worship Allah s.w.t. out of desire for heaven; this is the worship of traders. Another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of fear from hell; this is the worship of prisoners. Yet another group worship Allah s.w.t. out of gratitude; this is the worship of freemen.� 

I agree, but what about the converse? -- that a God who offers heaven in exchange for worship is a God of traders; and a God who threatens punishment for disobedience is a God of prisoners.  To me, a true God would extend his grace to all people as free men, unconditionally.  It has always seemed to me that all the threats and bribes in the Holy Scriptures of the monotheistic religions are demeaning to the very concept of a loving God.

Ron,
if you were right, we will be in heaven by now. No suffering, no trial, no right and no wrong. If you were right then everything was fine to do whether right or wrong from any point of view. Those who like to kill (there are a lot of serial killers on this planets) to those who have lust for flesh, hey do it more there is no justice and no punishement for wrong doings, no I don't think so.
I don't think so my friend, as long as you and I are here, we feel rain and wind, cold and hot, good day and bad times, work hard to put the bread on the table and as long as you and I  feel pain when get hurt and comfort when we rest, as long as we reward our kids for good conduct and discipline for not so desired behaviors, as long as we put criminals behind bars and honor those who benefit the mankind you better believe it. The geologists say, " present is the key to the past", as a believer I say, " the present is the key to the future".
Just like you expect your boss to reward you for your achievements, and expect to be fired for adverse actions, how do you want to make others believe otherwise in this case? Illusions or something else?
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 05 November 2008 at 6:30pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic