IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proof from Bible that Jesus never died  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proof from Bible that Jesus never died

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
saomai View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 9:54am

The Quran is no shabby book that you can take verses from it to support your claim like I just did with the Bible. Jesus said LIKE JONAH WAS SO SHALL THE SON OF MAN BE. What was Jonah? Dead or alive? You say no he was emphasising the time factor, well, did he fullfill that? Johna peace be upon him was three days and three nights, Jesus wasnt.

What exactly are you implying about the bible?  I don't recall anyone on this forum saying the quran was shabby - really we must treat each other with respect.  Clearly there are great misunderstandings on both sides. 

I asked previously for someone to quote the verses from the Quran and then quote any hadiths and then to explain clearly anything that Muhammed had taught regarding this - so far not a single person has adhered to my simple request.  And yet we find someone inferring that the bible is shabby.

Seeker of Truth View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker of Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

I also think of Josephus, who was a Jew who lived just 30+ years following the crucifixion of Jesus.  His writings are also very well studied and acknowledge who Jesus was.  Has anyone ever read Josephus and the Jewish Antiquities? 

God's Peace.

Many beleive that Josephus' account about Jesus was a forgery,mainly because Josephus was a Jew and not a Jewish Christian,so his account cannot be taken to be real.

Quote There are no surviving Roman records of the First Century that refer to, nor are there any Jewish records that support the accounts in the Christian gospels --- except one.

In Rome, in the year 93, Josephus published his lengthy history of the Jews. While discussing the period in which the Jews of Judaea were governed by the Roman procurator Pontius Pilate, Josephus included the following account:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared. - Jewish Antiquities, 18.3.3 �63
(Based on the translation of Louis H. Feldman, The Loeb Classical Library.)

Yet this account has been embroiled in controversy since the 17th century. It could not have been written by a Jewish man, say the critics, because it sounds too Christian: it even claims that Jesus was the Messiah (ho christos, the Christ)!

The critics say: this paragraph is not authentic. It was inserted into Josephus' book by a later Christian copyist, probably in the Third or Fourth Century.

http://members.aol.com/fljosephus/testimonium.htm

Peace

Jerry

Edited by Seeker of Truth
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 7:34am
Originally posted by saomai saomai wrote:

Ok to my muslim friends out there - GET CLEAR and CLEARLY explain in detail from Quran to Hadith why Jesus did not die and the accompanying islamic thoughts and thinking.  How on earth do any of you propose to help a christian understand your line of thinking when you are all over the place in total inconsistency?????

What a disgrace!  Here you have opportunity to teach islamic thoughts & beliefs and instead you ramble on senselessly!!!

We teach Islam and and discuss Christianity here, saomai. Greetings & Welcome. Qur'aan does not tell us long stories but the Lord Almighty tells us that Jesus was surely not killed. People thought he was dead but he was not. To find out more, we have to refer to the New Testament and one word stands out right there in the Good Book, in this statement.

"They laid him in the tomb." All of us are all discussing Jesus, who spoke Hebrew and Aramaic, in English. We are also referring to the Bible in English. Had Jesus been really dead, it would have been written, "He was laid to rest, in the tomb." and this would have signified that he was dead. Hope in this case, we will not have to rely on Greek.

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 7:22am

Brother Serv,

It was an excellent response and I have a feeling that Patty read it too fast.  Did you, Patty?

Serv,

Your comment on Matthew 12:40 was great.

"Early Christianity began as a sectarian controversy within Judaism." Yes, I can agree with that.

Thanks for the assignment and I have to scrutinise and dissect the Epistle to Hebrews. I notice there was no Epistle named as one to the Jews, in particular. What could have been the reason?

Best Regards Bro

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
saomai View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 6:41am

Ok to my muslim friends out there - GET CLEAR and CLEARLY explain in detail from Quran to Hadith why Jesus did not die and the accompanying islamic thoughts and thinking.  How on earth do any of you propose to help a christian understand your line of thinking when you are all over the place in total inconsistency?????

What a disgrace!  Here you have opportunity to teach islamic thoughts & beliefs and instead you ramble on senselessly!!!

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 8:37pm

Very good response, Servetus.  I also think of Josephus, who was a Jew who lived just 30+ years following the crucifixion of Jesus.  His writings are also very well studied and acknowledge who Jesus was.  Has anyone ever read Josephus and the Jewish Antiquities?  If you are interested in studying the ancient documents, this is an excellent place to start.  And of course, the Latin Vulgate (available in English) is also a very good learning tool.

I have to agree that it was the job for the scribes to translate, and their work in this area was outstanding.  They were not doing this to change the meaning(s) at all, but to make the scriptures easier to understand. 

God's Peace.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 10:42am

Welcome to the discussions, Jerry (Seeker of Truth).

Frater BMZ,

You wrote:

People believe it because they never read.  Only those who have read and studied thoroughly would question.

And then there are those who have read, studied thoroughly, questioned and still believe.  One need only do a Google search on this particular apparent contradiction (Matt 12:40) to see that others (Christians) have noticed and at least to their minds have satisfactorily resolved the problem.

Quote:

Not a single Christian friend has ever bothered to read the Jewish Holy Scriptures which have been there for centuries before OT was copied from them and have not compared to see the differences.

False .  St. Jerome, early in the Fifth Century, completed his Latin translation of the Old Testament (from the Hebrew) which is contained in the Vulgate.  The Scholastic tradition within Christianity produced venerable and sagacious scholars and does to this day.  The early (ante-Nicene, or pre-Nicean Council) fathers, Origen and Tertullian spring to mind, were well-versed not only in Greek philosophy but also the revealed scriptures, even if by way of the Septuagint.

Quote:

The Jews could never find Messiah (Jesus) prophesised in their Holy Scriptures �

False.  Early Christianity began as a sectarian controversy within Judaism (which, following the destruction of the Temple by Titus, itself morphed into its current Rabbinical form) and is distinguished by those who recognize Jesus as the promised Messiah and those who do not.  Plenty did and do, regardless of their race or tribe.

Quote:

� but the Christians found Jesus in almost all chapters of the Jewish Holy Scriptures �

True.  He was recognized both in scripture and in the flesh by those who later, at Antioch (Acts 11:26), became known as �Christians.�  That is to be understood.  Jesus himself is said to have said that the scriptures, a reference at that time to the (OT) Law and the Prophets, speak of him (John 5:39).  To those with the proverbial �or, what might better be said, spiritual- eyes to see, those scriptures do speak of him.

Quote:

� but the Christians found Jesus in almost all chapters of the Jewish Holy Scriptures copied, edited, re-written and named as the Old Testament the name having been coined by the people who formed the New Testament.

Copied, yes, that's what scribes do (or did).  Edited, to be proved.  Until I am shown otherwise, I assume that St. Jerome�s translation of the Hebrew into Latin is just that, a translation, arguably good or bad, as any translation is.  The name Old Testament was coined by those who recognized that, in Jesus, a new covenant, testament, or agreement, was in place between Man and God, as scriptures said would happen, and the details of this are, to my mind, best articulated in the infinitely arguable and at times recondite  Epistle to the Hebrews.

Best regards,

Serv

Edited by Servetus
Seeker of Truth View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seeker of Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 8:52am
Hello bmzsp

Quote People believe it because they never read. Only those who have read and studied thoroughly would question. You did it.

True.

Quote Not a single Christian friend has ever bothered to read the Jewish Holy Scriptures which have been there for centuries before OT was copied from them and have not compared to see the differences.

True

Quote The Jews could never find Messiah (Jesus) prophesised in their Holy Scriptures but the Chrsitians found Jesus in almost all chapters of the Jewish Holy Scriptures copied, edited, re-written and named as the Old Testament, the name having been coined by the people who formed the New Testament.

TRUE

PEACE

Jerry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic