IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - America, the Disliked, but why so much?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

America, the Disliked, but why so much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

Herjihad, I have absolutely no idea what has happened to you.  If you recall, you were the one who began to PM me, and then to email me.  I'm not saying this to embarrass you...I am quite simply stunned.  I honestly thought you were a friend. 

There is not one person on this site whom I do not find something to genuinely like.  Where you are getting the idea I don't like these people all of a sudden is beyond me.  I wish I knew.  I have been on this site for five years.  I tried to offer assistance to you via email, if you recall....only to be nice.  This really shocks me, your reaction.  I hope someday I will have the answer to what has changed you.  I do remember we have a "mutual friend" with whom I am very close.  Perhaps she can shed some light on this....I hope so.  I've never been so confused.  And, yes, it is hard to lose someone....and then to have a friend turn on you at the same time.

God's Peace.

Patty,

Please stop talking to me.  If you noticed, I haven't emailed you for quite a while.  I don't want to talk to you.  We have nothing in common.

Your posts are filled with sarcastic, mean spriited cutting statements.  Friend?  Your post about me was aggressive and insulting. 

And in your way you are threatening to go around talking to my friends about me.  Why don't you stop doing that?  I don't want you to talk about me.  So do you know what the definition of gossip is?  Do you know how to censor yourself before you make a post?

Write a post.  Read it.  See if it's blatantly, uneccesarily offensive.  Dont post it if you care about the person you're posting about. 

Please don't answer me.  Just leave me alone and don't answer any posts that I make, even the ones you agree with.  You have your friends and your Catholic sites.  Enjoy them.  We were never friends.  That's called acquaintences, just so you know for the future.  Friendship is mutual.  You never offered me "help"  and I don't need or want any help from you and certainly never asked for such a thing.

Salaamu Alaykum

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 4:11pm

Patty wasn't attacking you personally.  I went back and read the posts.  She was responding to your statements.  She didn't twist your words.  I read your posts and her responses.  She was responding directly to your accusations. 

Good Grief....

Originally posted by Herjihad Herjihad wrote:

Secondly, you are not correct.  No one in Africa sold their own people.  (If they did, I have never read about it!  Do you have a reference?) Warring tribes, as with warring Indian tribes in America, used to keep their captives as slaves.  That they sold their own slaves was not selling their own people.

You asked for a reference, she gave you one.  Own people was referring to race, not tribe.

Do you purposely twist things people say?  I said the $1 dollar bill -- Washington the slave owner. 

I don't think she twisted, perhaps misunderstood.  I would still disagree with you.  Washington's purpose was to sever the colonies from England.  His place on our $ is for a completely different purpose.  However, I think Tubman, Douglas or Booker T Washington would be better on the $20 or $50 than the two Presidents on them.  Jackson was one of the worst presidents ever. 

America encourages slavery all over the world.  And I personally helped free a slave, so I know that it exists. 

Please justify this statement with an example.  I know there have been many calls over the years by Administrations to work against the human trade.  So, please, provide your source.

Originally posted by Patty & Herjihad Patty & Herjihad wrote:

Yes, there are many poor blacks living in ghettos, I've been there and worked with them.  I was also raised in poverty in Appalachia....white children know poverty too, herjihad, it's just not as publicized as it is for black people. 

So you wear your previous poverty as a badge of honor?  What should I do with mine and my children's?  Deny it?

You described the "N" word as proof positive of the evils still lingering in the US.  Poverty leads to a lack of education, but not an excuse.  There is a huge divide in this country and its not just along racial borders.  Poor are poor and rich are rich.  Patty has lived long enough to work herself out of it.  That doesn't mean she can not remember what its like.  Badge of honor might be pushing it, but if she is proud of her humble beginnings, that's her right.  Don't deny the situation your in, identify the reasons your in that situation and make the necessary changes.  Why do you think I'm going back to school? 

I've been homeless (living on the charity of family and friends) with an injured husband.  I know poverty.  I may not live on Ramen and Hotdogs anymore, but I sure remember going to bed hungry.  So am I not allowed to say I sympathize too????

You attacked first.  Patty responsed to your challenges and you called her aggressive.  Honey, my family has been here since 1662, I might hate the administration and its policies, but I love this country.  I love what she was founded on and I love her trials and evolutions. 

No country is perfect.  I challenge you to find a place where your family would be safer.  If you can find one, then so be it...

But, I'd rather work on the flaws and enjoy the things this country got right.  At least I'm not one of those poor oppressed tribal women that MOCKBA doesn't think deserves help.

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 5:09pm

Assalaamu alaikum sister Herji and peace to you Patty and Angela..

Okay, everyone to their corners, you need to put on your gloves ladies:

What is going on here, I see three ladies who are usually good friends and stick up for each other fighting over, HISTORY?

Being a person who's emphasis in secondary education was history, I have come to the following conclusion:

History, as it is written, is always subject to the biases and interpretations of the author who wrote the account:

Everybody has their own opinions injected into the accounts.

So. let's shake hands, put this behind us and make up,

Inshallah we will get past this, are we hormonal females or what?

Believe me, I know, I have been a brat myself....

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 5:33pm

I can seriously say I hate the fact that it has turned into a discussion in part, about slavery and its history along with other things that doesn't address the question. Although some of what was said, does tie into the question I don't want bickering on such an important issue, but, its understanable that emotions on this discussion can create that. First off, let me address something here. As someone who has studied Black History I would hope some of the "non-whites" in here presume to be a scholar at Black History just because he/she can google search Black History off websites. I'm not accusing anyone of doing that, but I'm saying that its easy to get such information off other websites.

As an African-American and learning from what my grandfathers father had did to survive I can honestly say that the decisions made has definitely sowed the future of some. Racism in the 1400's which lead to the enslavement of Africans in fact still has effects today. It's not justifying ignorance, nor laziness nor the lack of wanting to work but it still does have its effect today much like the effects of the cosmic "Big Bang" has on the cooled universe. My earlier point in interconnecting this with those who have hatred for America was to relate that even though this is evident in our history this does not create a desire of hatred of all whites nor does this make me want to strap a bomb to myself to kill a group of whites for what has happened to my ancestors in the past. Some of you may think this is not comparable to a modern problem. I say it is.

We are all discussing the effects of a past event. The land that was taken from the Palestinians by the people now called Israelis didn't happen recently but approximately 5 decades ago. Also, let me address something Angela said which struck a nerve. She states that everyone is to blame in slavery. Sorry to say, for one who is not African-American you cannot conceiv what my mother and her parents had to go through. We as African Americans were already poor in coming this country then, suffered in slavery. Even when the so-called abolitionist "freed" us we still suffered social injustice. Just because some of you say blacks were freed doesn't mean we had automatic social equality. So before you go into your speech of "we freed the slaves" remember lenching still went on LOL.

Also! Although everyone hands were in the cookie jar of slavery, some whites still propagate what is now considered institutionalized racism. here are still injustices in our American system. If I can say something I truly loathe about America that is truly it. In my personal opinion suffering is suffering and  like I said before we go into the poor Palestinians and Poor Lebanese let's look at the Sudanese African whose husband (BTW was Muslim) was shoot in the head while praying fajr. Or the woman who was gang raped by Arab militia. Or the child in the streets of Los Angeles who was shot in the sternum just playing in the front yard. Suffering happens on every face of the planet and although Angela states imperfectly that the United States was created on "ideals" it still suffered incredibly for its arrogance in that I side the worlds wrath upon the US on.

We as a nation historically was arrogant. We were arrogant towards the native people to the Africans who built this country. Yes we Africans built this country along with others who have suffered along with us. I think more often than noit people hate this country for its past and where it is going!

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 5:48pm

I hear ya, Israfil.  I'm not gonna comment on the bigotry suffered by my ancestors, the Irish.  It's not talked about much....so be it.  It's over, and nothing good will come from rehashing it.  Injustices have been committed by nearly everyone to nearly everyone.  All of it has/is wrong and a huge sin.  I agree with Angela when she said if anyone can find a less bigoted country, have at it.  I know I can't.  All countries, cultures, races have their share of sins for which they must atone.  ALL OF US.

I must agree with Maryah.  You're right.  We're beginning to look like a gaggle of teenage girls at a MacDonald's.  Time for everyone to take a deep breath and drop this.  I know I'm finished with it....and I'm still not sure what it was about.  Peace Sisters (and brothers too).

God's Peace!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 5:57pm
patty all in all we all humans truggle its in every corner of the world
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2006 at 6:07pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

patty all in all we all humans truggle its in every corner of the world

You're absolutely right, Israfil!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2006 at 2:27am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah,

Patty, I should have known that you would just twist my words.  You insulted the people of this site by saying that it "bothered you". 

Herjihad, Honestly it seems you have taken this out of proportion and in your temper are twisting words of hers around. The "bothered you" you have completely missed patty' point.

This is the sentence of what was said:  There are MANY Muslims near where I live....we all live together peacefully.  We have no problems...that's one reason this site bothers me. 

In other words, The muslims she interacts at home with are different here on this site and are peaceful and tolerant whereas for this site patty experiences something else - the opposite and that bothered her for which she cannot figure out why the extreme differences.

You think Patty has been insulting perhaps you can check your words again.

Quote If I were a moderator, I would have banned you long ago for the way you insult the Muslims and friends of Muslims here.  What?  Muslims wanting a corner of the internet where they are not ridiculed for their faith and desire to live peacefully and garner support for issues we care about seems like to much for you?

with that attitude, you shouldn't be moderator.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic