IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arranged-Marriage Series  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arranged-Marriage Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 5:19am

"You guys" ?? Now, now Chrys. Not you too. Have to get beyond that 'us and them' mentality. It's most unattractive, and not at all becoming of a woman one day wishing to enter an arranged marriage ;-)

Things are not always what we 'perceive' them to be, certainly at first....   judging everything and everyone through our own myopic lenses, by our own standards and conceptions/mis conceptions.   Creating so much  unnecessary suffering for others in the process.

People are so full of ignorance and prejudice. Or as we say over 'ere - BS ;-)

We're all guilty of that to one degree or another.

Someone once said, "Youth is wasted on the young."

But it is very difficult to 'teach' younger people what it seems the years, life itself alone can 'teach'.  Though many older people never learn those lessons either. I'm 22 and still can't tie my shoelaces.

If two people who can love each other are brought together, however they are brought together, and can commit, marry and raise children if they wish to, then that is a good thing certainly. No arguments from me - Cupid that I am ;-)  I arrange marriages all the time. lol

Far too much confusion over sex and love. Well over here anyway ;-) And being 'in love' - that chemical surge, like a drug hit.

Does take time to realise we choose to love and have to work at it throughout life.

Anyway - I gotta get back out there and do some real 'love' ing in this lil ol' world.

God bless

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

"You guys" ?? Now, now Chrys. Not you too. Have to get beyond that 'us and them' mentality. It's most unattractive, and not at all becoming of a woman one day wishing to enter an arranged marriage ;-)

Smile 

'you guys' definition: 'those who have never seen/heard of arranged marriages, especially in muslim societies.' used interchangeably with the word 'westerners'.

*pats K for reassurance* Smile

Edited by Chrysalis - 15 February 2009 at 6:08am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 6:33am
Hyposonic said:

[0]Saladin said:

......Britney.....

......idiotic reasoning......

......[See britney Spears].

Is it that you saw the name 'Britney' pop up and you're gettin jiggy with it?

Anyway I appreciate your politeness but you didnt have to go thru that pain if you (as you claim) an Oxford Grad had realised that "unarranged marriage" is an oxymoronic term.

You know that marriage is serious affair and wherever you're from such a serious issue has to be done after much considerations and arrangements. Its just that different people arrange their marriage in different ways. Got it? Now read my previous post.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hyposonic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyposonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:47am
Me: I beg to differ. The primary purpose of dating is not marriage, but casual companionship. Had what u said been the case, kids as young as 14-15 would not be dating.

This is a steep assumption and to what do you base this off of? Life experience? Again, stop using kids as a defense argument because its not working. Unless you can show the ratio of children to adults and test their reasoning for dating you cannot make a valid claim and say that, dating is about casual relationship because thus and so and so forth....

The average middle age adult in a western country, what is their reason for dating? Do I know? I may have an idea, but I personally know plenty friends who date to find a life partner. I know some that date because they aren't ready to marry but are meeting people for the 'potentiality' of marriage. I know some that date just to have, as you say, a casual friendship. What I'm trying to get into your head is that there are a variety of reasons.

I can also say the reason kids 14-15 years of age date are because of the hormonal fluctuations post-puberty. Of course there are other reasons such as proximity, culture and so forth.

"What about the 18yr olds? People in the west are usually not 'ready' for marriage until they reach thier 30s... so technically they should start dating at 25?"

This is an assumption based off what? You are stating opinionated claims which I firmly disagree with. You have have known people to have obtained gthe desire to marry at age 30, or 25 but again based off what. Chalk it up as you have your own personal experiences. Generalizing it is not the way. Besides how do you know people in the west aren't ready? Because families don't gear their children towards marriage doesn't mean young adults don't have the desire.

"One can even go so far to call it casual sexual companionship . . . because scientifically you are dating that person because u r attracted to them sexually, because of thier pheromones, and u find them (sexually) appealing."

OMG. This is simply a biological perspective which IS not the sole reason for obtaining companionship. If such was an entirely valid explanation then what does that say about arrange marriage? Muslims are humans too, so I assume that arrange marriage not only prevents the potentiality of pre-marital sex, but the repression of sexual behavior. HMMMM

"Yes, marriage may eventually take place, down the dating road, perhaps 4-5 dating partners later... perhaps because now u r 30, and need to 'settle' down, n the biological clock is ticking. But it is never the 'primary' reason. People date because its fun, and glamorous, or because it fulfills natural human needs of companionship. . . something Islam recognises, accepts and deals with."

Yes people date because its pleasurable as it should be. As far as glamour I don't understand the usage of that word in this context. Again Chrysalis you should take this as a case by case not a grand generalization. Unless you know 300+ million people in America and 150+ million in European countries, I'd say you should again, chalk it up as your own experience not what is or what billogically is.

"marriages or views on dating are not a soley 'muslim' concept."

I know its cultural. But the correlation is relevant here since I am having discussion on a Muslim forum.

"this is merely an objective discussion."

Not really. The moment we use I, me, we, it ceases to be an objective discussion.

Hyposonic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyposonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:06am
"With all due respect . . . the comparision doesnt apply much here. The average muslim is not a gun-toting militant."

With all due respect, I never said Muslims were. I was merely stating that if remarks here are going to relate to celebrities or what they see on television then, it would not only leave an opening for an inaccurate comparison but an unfair one. I then stated in addition to, that, if people operated like that then what stops someone from making the comparison to all Muslims from what they see on television?

"but the average american/british teenager is in a mess."

What about the average Scot? or Italian? or Spanish? To what evidence do you base this on?

"I hear that from Americans/British themselves."

So you heard this from the 350+ million American/Brits? I'm sorry to repeat this number but I'm making a point I'm sure you know. I assume [and I bet my entire house on this] that every songle American or British person told you that. In fact the opinions you heard is less than a fraction of the total population. We all have opinions of our country and base them on our respective experiences. It's a natural human phenomena, and we think the whole world is like those we experience daily. It is not, and no offense Chrysalis when discussing with someone you ought to be self-aware of that.

"And note that I said America and Britian . . . because I am sure thier stats do not represent Scotland or Ireland or Genovia."

But in previous post you interchangably use the words "western" and so I assumed that by using western, you have lumped my country along with America and Britain together. I'm not from America nor have I been there for quite some time but even I do not believe that it is as bad as you say [referring to teen births etc]. You all don't know the social circumstances as to why teen births are rampant. There are many factors such as socio-economic status, ethnic culture, and so forth.

Just because teen births happen doesn't mean its because of promiscuity or because its American/British tradition. You need to weigh in all the factors. Chrysalis I'm surprised at you for a person who is intelligent and kind, you would not weigh in those factors. But alas, you said something profound: "I as an Asian/Pakistani am biased"

"Taking a significant majority, and using it to make an inference is understandable/justifiable (collective highschools). . .

Chrysalis, if you couldn't tell I do research and taking a collective sample such as "high schoolers" and making inferences to adult behavior IS NOT a valid inference nor the behavior of the entire people. You can only making those inferences to those who compare with that sample.

but taking a minority (al qaeda) and using it to label a community is not really justifiable or fair."

This is a profound psychological phenomena here. I never said Al-Qaeda, nor did I mention  terrorist, I mentioned "then why complain about others who compare Muslims to other Muslims on television?"

This could be anything. Someone could have just watched the discover channel and had seen an Iranian wearing traditional garb and assumed it was associated with Muslim culture. This is what I meant. I try to refrain from using stereotypical example because I know they are inaccurate and wrong.

I think for the future of this discussion if you were to make research type statements you ought to at least point to some references so I can read them.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Hyposonic Hyposonic wrote:

Me: I beg to differ. The primary purpose of dating is not marriage, but casual companionship. Had what u said been the case, kids as young as 14-15 would not be dating.

This is a steep assumption and to what do you base this off of? Life experience? Again, stop using kids as a defense argument because its not working. Unless you can show the ratio of children to adults and test their reasoning for dating you cannot make a valid claim and say that, dating is about casual relationship because thus and so and so forth....

I'm not using kids as a defense argument at all. I'm simply explaining why marriage is not the primary reason for dating. Its a simple deduction:

The average age Americans get married at is 27. (USA Today) , (faqs.org) , (Dr.Phil) yet they start dating when they are as young (or younger) than 15 - when marriage is not even in thier plans yet. Are you seriously suggesting that it takes an average of 12 yrs to find a spouse? As for reasons for dating - come on, even us non-daters know the reasons. Its not rocket science. People date for companionship, fun, passing time . . . and yes, also for finding a spouse. I'm not denying it is. All I am saying is that "marriage" is not seriously in the dating scene, until a person attains the age of lets say, 20? (I'm bieng generous). And only the older daters, lets say 25 have dating as a primary reason. Perhaps there was a time, when marriage was the main reason people dated - alas, nomore.

Another reason why we can say that;  because dating is as common/popular as ever - yet the number of people actually getting married has declined. Which means basically that marriage is not the outcome for numerous dating couples anymore. Maybe it just doesnt work?

"The study, by the National Marriage Project at Rutgers University, found thatthe marriage rate among Americans is at its lowest point ever. Over the last40 years, the rate has fallen 43 percent. In addition, fewer people are reporting themselves as being "very happy" in their marriages." (faqs.org)

Quote The average middle age adult in a western country, what is their reason for dating? Do I know? I may have an idea, but I personally know plenty friends who date to find a life partner. I know some that date because they aren't ready to marry but are meeting people for the 'potentiality' of marriage. I know some that date just to have, as you say, a casual friendship. What I'm trying to get into your head is that there are a variety of reasons.

Yes there are a variety of reasons behind dating, Marriage is one of them. Yet it is not the primary reason for dating. However, I am willing to concur that it may be the primary reason for dating - for the average middle aged adult.

Quote I can also say the reason kids 14-15 years of age date are because of the hormonal fluctuations post-puberty. Of course there are other reasons such as proximity, culture and so forth.

That may all be true. I dont disagree.

Quote Me: "What about the 18yr olds? People in the west are usually not 'ready' for marriage until they reach thier 30s... so technically they should start dating at 25?"

Hyposonic: This is an assumption based off what? You are stating opinionated claims which I firmly disagree with. You have have known people to have obtained gthe desire to marry at age 30, or 25 but again based off what. Chalk it up as you have your own personal experiences. Generalizing it is not the way. Besides how do you know people in the west aren't ready? Because families don't gear their children towards marriage doesn't mean young adults don't have the desire.

I'm not saying young people may not have the desire to get married. They may. Anyhoo, I based my assumptions (ppl are not ready for marriage until 30) on the following stats:

"The average age at first marriage in the USA has been inching upward; it's now 26 for women and 27 for men" - USA Today

"The United States Census Bureau stated in 1996 that American women were entering their first marriages at the average age of 24.5 years, while American men marrying for the first time were, on average, 26.7 years old."  - this was a 1996 report, so the average age would probably have increased by now.

So yes, I mis-guessed at 30 . . . the actual average age is 27.

Me: "One can even go so far to call it casual sexual companionship . . . because scientifically you are dating that person because u r attracted to them sexually, because of thier pheromones, and u find them (sexually) appealing."

Hyposonic: OMG. This is simply a biological perspective which IS not the sole reason for obtaining companionship. If such was an entirely valid explanation then what does that say about arrange marriage? Muslims are humans too, so I assume that arrange marriage not only prevents the potentiality of pre-marital sex, but the repression of sexual behavior. HMMMM

What does that say about arranged marriages??? How does it repress sexual behaviour? Might I remind you that Islam, unlike some other religions does not associate sex and guilt. Niether does it repress sexual behaviour. Not having sex outside of marriage is not sexual repression - its non-promiscuity, and self-control/self-respect. A muslim can feel sexually attracted towards another - very obviously, and they can marry to 'celebrate thier sexuality'. How is that repression?

And I never said that sexual urges are the sole reason for obtaining companionship!

Quote Me: "Yes, marriage may eventually take place, down the dating road, perhaps 4-5 dating partners later... perhaps because now u r 30, and need to 'settle' down, n the biological clock is ticking. But it is never the 'primary' reason. People date because its fun, and glamorous, or because it fulfills natural human needs of companionship. . . something Islam recognises, accepts and deals with."

Hyposonic: Yes people date because its pleasurable as it should be. As far as glamour I don't understand the usage of that word in this context. Again Chrysalis you should take this as a case by case not a grand generalization. Unless you know 300+ million people in America and 150+ million in European countries, I'd say you should again, chalk it up as your own experience not what is or what billogically is.

Its so not a random generalisation! Smile You disagree that the average 'dater' dates approx. 4-5 ppl before settling down?

"But by 2000, the corresponding figures had risen to four for men and two for women. In younger age groups, the turnover was higher; one in 12 men and one in 28 women had had more than 10 partners in that period."

"When asked to count all their sexual partners, 41 per cent of men and 23 per cent of women aged 25 to 34 had had more than 10 partners. Among the 16-to-24 age group, 20 per cent of men and 15 per cent of women had had more than 10." - (The Independent, UK)

As for saying that I do not know 300+million Americans. . . come on! Even researchers do not talk to or know 300+million Americans. They randomly take samples, or look at a significant number - analyse repeated trends, past trends etc , and make generalisations. Which is why I said the 'average' American, rather than "all" Americans. Ofcourse there are bound to be deviations. I based my conclusions on what I gleaned from the media, documentaries, people I know, statistics, articles etc. And yes, I am not a researcher - so my opinions are subject to error, yet I hope they manage to get the point across, in my own error-prone manner.

I am simply making observations, not 'judging' people. This is not what I came up with, I am passing on information I read from the nonbiased sources. None of what I said did I learn from a Muslim or unrelated source. By biased, I mean what you might percieve to be biased.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-11-16-young-wed_x.htm

http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/15/Marriage.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/more-partners-more-affairs-and-more-gay-liaisons-the-changing-sex-life-of-our-nation-618596.html

Edited by Chrysalis - 16 February 2009 at 2:59am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 3:55am

"With all due respect . . . the comparision doesnt apply much here. The average muslim is not a gun-toting militant."

With all due respect, I never said Muslims were. I was merely stating that if remarks here are going to relate to celebrities or what they see on television then, it would not only leave an opening for an inaccurate comparison but an unfair one. I then stated in addition to, that, if people operated like that then what stops someone from making the comparison to all Muslims from what they see on television?

I agree with you not wanting to equate celebrity behaviours with that of the common man, who are an exception and not the norm.

Me : "but the average american/british teenager is in a mess."

Hyposonic: What about the average Scot? or Italian? or Spanish? To what evidence do you base this on?

I'm not talking about the average Scot or Italian, simply because it is not as easy to come across sources that talk of the Scottish teenager. So I give them the benefit of the doubt. Which is why I have been referring to American/British societies, that seem to represent the dating culture more aptly.

The latter part of ur statement, this:

"Many young people also believed they had sex before they were ready; of those who had first had sex at the age of 13 or 14, 80 per cent of women and 40 per cent of men wished they had waited longer" (The Independent, UK)

"Figures released by the Public Health Laboratory Service yesterday underline the problem. New diagnoses of gonorrhoea, syphilis and chlamydia in the UK more than doubled between 1995 and 2000." (The Indepenet, UK)

"The use of illegal drugs is increasing, especially among young teens.  The average age of first marijuana use is 14, and alcohol use can start before age 12.  The use of marijuana and alcohol in high school has become common." (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) )

"An estimated 20 million adults in the United States abuse alcohol. More than half of these alcoholics started drinking heavily when they were teenagers." (AACAP)

"The strange thing is that over the past 50 years every country in the West has experienced a huge increase in juvenile delinquency - along with a rise in drug and alcohol abuse, depression and suicide - but only in America has there been a phenomenal rise in the number of adolescents killing people." For the record, in all fairness, Britian does have that many Juvenile delinquents yet , compared to the US. (The Independent, UK)

"As Mexican-American teens become more "Americanized," their alcohol, tobacco and drug use increases to match that of white teens, many studies have shown. New research suggests that this acculturation may indirectly influence substance use by contributing to family conflict and making teens more emotionally distant from their parents." (Health Behaviour News Service)

"Though much progress has been made, teen drug use remains rampant in American society.The overall level of use among adolescents may be on the decline, but millions of teens still abuse drugs " (The Onion, News source)

"I hear that from Americans/British themselves."

So you heard this from the 350+ million American/Brits? I'm sorry to repeat this number but I'm making a point I'm sure you know. I assume [and I bet my entire house on this] that every songle American or British person told you that. In fact the opinions you heard is less than a fraction of the total population. We all have opinions of our country and base them on our respective experiences. It's a natural human phenomena, and we think the whole world is like those we experience daily. It is not, and no offense Chrysalis when discussing with someone you ought to be self-aware of that.

Like I mentioned before, even in proper, official research . . .no researcher ever talks to each of the 350+million Americans/Brits individually. They rely on statistics, previous research, social trends etc - and derive a general conclusion. There is always room for deviations.

Me: "And note that I said America and Britian . . . because I am sure thier stats do not represent Scotland or Ireland or Genovia."

Hypsonic: But in previous post you interchangably use the words "western" and so I assumed that by using western, you have lumped my country along with America and Britain together. I'm not from America nor have I been there for quite some time but even I do not believe that it is as bad as you say [referring to teen births etc]. You all don't know the social circumstances as to why teen births are rampant. There are many factors such as socio-economic status, ethnic culture, and so forth.

I was reffering mostly to American/British societies in the vast majority if my posts - since they are currently leading/influencing the media and "representing" the western block. Despite that, in all fairness I admitted that thier stats may not speak for Scotland or Genovia. When I 'interchanged' the word 'western' - I believe it was to refer to the oppnonents of Arranged Marriage, when talking to Gulliver. So no need to take offence.

Just because teen births happen doesn't mean its because of promiscuity or because its American/British tradition. You need to weigh in all the factors. Chrysalis I'm surprised at you for a person who is intelligent and kind, you would not weigh in those factors. But alas, you said something profound: "I as an Asian/Pakistani am biased"

Yes, there are other social factors involved in teen births as well - promiscuity/premarital sex is not the sole factor. It has to do with other factors such as parenting, social trends, economic factors etc as well. Infact, quite a majority of British/American's still believe in traditions which frown upon teen-births. However, it is an unfortunate reality.

Also, with regards to me saying "I as an Asian/Pakistani am biased" Smile . . . I was pre-adderessing a notion that some readers may have, i.e. "OKay fine, lets suppose/assume/agree for sake of discussion that I am biased. . . which is why I brought up sources from your side". It was not say that I am biased. I like to think that I am not. But, my fault - I should have been clearer.

Me: "Taking a significant majority, and using it to make an inference is understandable/justifiable (collective highschools). . .

Hyposonic: Chrysalis, if you couldn't tell I do research and taking a collective sample such as "high schoolers" and making inferences to adult behavior IS NOT a valid inference nor the behavior of the entire people. You can only making those inferences to those who compare with that sample. 

I was not using highschoolers as a representation of adult behaviour!  

Me : but taking a minority (al qaeda) and using it to label a community is not really justifiable or fair."

Hypsonic: This is a profound psychological phenomena here. I never said Al-Qaeda, nor did I mention  terrorist, I mentioned "then why complain about others who compare Muslims to other Muslims on television?" 

This could be anything. Someone could have just watched the discover channel and had seen an Iranian wearing traditional garb and assumed it was associated with Muslim culture. This is what I meant. I try to refrain from using stereotypical example because I know they are inaccurate and wrong.

Al-Qaeda was just an e.g. I used! Smile Never said you were talking abt Al-Qaeda or thinking about it.

And what you said is true, which is why I have not been basing my opinons on that one random highschool friend, or the Tv-Show Gossip Girl, or Britney Spears for that matter. Smile

I think for the future of this discussion if you were to make research type statements you ought to at least point to some references so I can read them.

Admittedly, I did not do justice to referencing. I never liked Chicago Author-Date anyway. . . however I agree with you - and will try to comply in future - if time/brain permits. Smile

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/teens_alcohol_and_other_drugs

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/focus-the-american-school-massacre--a-teen-romance-with-the-outlaw-1089579.html

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/teens/a/blbhns031112.htm

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28710

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 4:56am

"Dating I does lead to intimacy, that's the whole point."

this is your opinion but not universal. If I meet a woman my intention is to get to know her more than simply an acquaintance. Now, if our behavior becomes more intimate its a plus but for mature adult relationships whether friend, boyfriend/girlfriend or even marriage it usually begins with both consenting adults simply getting to know one another.

I think you are equating intimacy with sexual activity. They are not the same thing at all.

intimacy

< name=entry =/dictionary method=post>One entry found.
Main Entry:
in�ti�ma�cy 
%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Listen%20to%20the%20pronunciation%20of%20intimacy
Pronunciation:
\ˈin-tə-mə-sē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural in�ti�ma�cies
Date:
1 : the state of being intimate : familiarity
2 : something of a personal or private nature