IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Words of Jesus  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Words of Jesus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 10:40am
jacques4173

Memorization shows dedication, but it does not show knowledge. I believe the New Testament is shorter then the Koran and is therefore easier to memorize. So what. I even heard some Muslims memorize the Koran in Arabic which they do not even speak. No knowledge can come from that.

However, unlike Christianity, Islam has a tradition of both civil and criminal law. It is based the Koran and Hadith. This law, often called Sharia, has a long history. Accordingly, if I were a Muslim, I would consult with high level Sharia Law experts concerning important matters, not some local "Imam" who has gained some measure of local authority but may have little or no scholarly background in Islamic Jurisprudence.

For instance, in recent times some Imams have counceled their congregations to take to the streets in actions that are clearly illegal even to non-Muslims. Specifically, NO PERSON may be punished without Sharia trial. Accused persons might lawfully be apprehended by Muslim citizens, for instance, for apostacy. But those citizens are clearly prohibited from vigilante actions of punishment. To do so would itself be against Sharia law.

This is something that has seemingly been neglected by those who take military action into their own hands. For instance, by what Sharia Court Order did the Indonesian Muslims bomb the Bali hotels? These are not idle questions. Is Sharia a legal system of courts, jurists, and laws? If so, let us know who these jurists are, and under what authority they practice.

Your local Imam is subject to these same laws and has no authority of his own to impose his own ideas on these matters. IMHO he must identify an appropriate Sharia court and submit to its authority, not impose his own.
Ghazzali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:19pm
Assalamualikum. I see the same problem here as with Mr.StephenC. You cannot expect to reach a solution based on two different principles. Non-muslims are putting forward their arguments based on their principles, and we muslims are doing the same. You cannot apply the laws of physics inside the black hole. First of all we need to come to a consensus that we will accept only the truth, from a neutral perspective. Our personal viewpoints which are strongly influenced by religious values should be set aside temporarily while searching for the truth. If we all start from zero, then the really real truth seekers are bound to agree on a single viewpoint. Please read my topic " the simplest reason to believe in islam."
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic