IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sisters read this!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sisters read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Perhaps this whole topic could be summed up by stating that: as long as the health worker is professional, caring and gentle, it is unimportant what gender they are.  The most important consideration is the feelings of the patient, who may or may not be in great stress over whatever proceedure they must endure.  So, empathy and understanding are paramount.

Peace, ummziba.

Agree

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 10:51pm

Israfil, I do wish at times you could wait till I responded  I have to go back to this first post of yours and not the lastest one, I've worked my self up for it

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Angel you said:

>>>I personally think OB/GYN should be left to women<<<

I personally think that is a sexist comment LOL

probably can I laugh with you ?

Quote Angel you said:

>>>Well, yes and you say the knowledge of a female
gynecologist and male gyneocologist are the same, physically
yes but a woman does have an advantage over a male
somewhat <<<<

This is true for both men and women....Women don't know the
mind of men as all men think differently just as all women think
differently ( i mean different in the sense of individual
personality). As far as human anatomy yes there is the
advantage because men do not go through life cycles like
women yes in this manner I agree.

When I said a female has an advantage over a male somewhat I was leading to below comment of mine.

How can I explain, I don't know if I can, its just something there among women that they don't need to speak, but with men you need to talk and explain and try to get them to understand as to what you are going thru. Its the same for men who have prostrate problems women don't know or understand all entirely, this, male doctors has advantage over a female doctor. You agree? Can you see what I'm getting at? (heck I'm trying to explain to a man about women lol!  ) While I sit here agree with you about the sandwich maker and with Kim, Jenni and Lameese that it doesn't matter who you see (as women can be rough while a man can be gentle) as long they do there job and in a professional matter and that they have seen millions of patients that to the doctor it's nothing. 

Quote Angel said:

>>>Women understand women better on an emotional and
intutive level this is where and what women want most of all<<<

This may be true but this is an assumption of the negative
because you're saying that male gynecologist do not
understand women or just some? Overall those are good
points but to me that is kind of sexist. Sister Ummziba came
from the Quranic standpoint because she believes that the
examination of the woman's genitalia (yes I am being
grammatically brutal here don't be squeemish!) is not modest if
the male doctor is examining but as Kim says they are just
patients.

It's not an assumption of the negative nor is it a sexist thing, women offer women something that men cannot. But will add, as I said that some women don't understand other women.

I've been thru this when I've tried to talk about my periods to a woman doctor, they don't get it because they do not go thru what you go thru. So anyway......

Quote Each examination is meant to save your life
so why does it matter what sex they are?

It doesn't, I know I said personally I perfer women but I also said later: I often think I perfer a woman examining me but honestly I would just want a doctor that is sensitive and gentle towards me. and also up with the world and the advance in the medical profession.

When I said 'a doctor' I meant either gender  males do get to know certain things over time by seeing many female patients.

Since I mentioned to kim, "quite true" does not that also make me agree with your sandwich maker?  Along with Lameese and Jenni?

Quote Now you ladies mention the standpoint of emotion.... Ok let's
go there then. Yes its understandable and true that women are
attentive to other women. I believe the connection of
understanding is there, but I don't believe that it should have
any bearing on sex because the male doctor can be as
emotionally inclined as the female. Ladies there are some
sensitive men in the world!!!!!!

we know :) 

Quote Again ladies as Kim mentions these individuals both men and
women, ar skilled at what they do have performed many
examinations over and over and over. Comfort level has no
comparison to one who can possibly save your life. To me I'd
rather choose a highly skilled doctor be it male or female.

And didn't I agree?......

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2005 at 11:20pm
so in reality we are all in agreement here then....
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2005 at 11:42pm

Bismillah,

I prefer a female nurse practitioner for many reasons, but mostly because I have found them to be caring and knowledgeable about the things that are important to me. (It's not just about the exam!)

A person can make a thousand sandwiches and still be bad at it. (Personal referrals and research into the person's medical background are important.)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2005 at 10:02am

I do remind the sisters that if we are to respond to one another please greet As'Salaamu Alaikum when responding to your fellow bro/sis including us brothers when responding to sisters......

Sister Herjihad two things in your post starting with your first:

>>>>I prefer a female nurse practitioner for many reasons, but mostly because I have found them to be caring and knowledgeable about the things that are important to me. (It's not just about the exam!)<<<<<

Two things again as I mentioned do you know that male nurses are not as knowledgable about the things important to you or is this because you prefer female nurses for comfort level? Sisters if this so call it how it is. Because the things that are important such as emotional feeling ( in regards to a certain illness or pain in which is align with the practice of the nurse/doctor) I believe a male doctor can answer just as good as the female. As you say its not about the exam but then again other than for the purpose of health why would you consult a doctor?

Second you said:

>>>A person can make a thousand sandwiches and still be bad at it. (Personal referrals and research into the person's medical background are important.)<<<<

I have many friends who ar ein the medical field and some are doctors and some are nurses and all of them went through hell just to complete their boards/MCAT. Just to get a laminated license thes epeople went through a combined 15 years of med-school/nursing school! Now you use my metaphor in saying one can make a thousand sandwiches and still be bad I doubt it. If that is the case not only is the hospital at fault for hiring that person but the person's license can be revoked. The business of health is serious because it deals with our mortality. I don't think there is room for error (if you are a good nurse/doctor) so here I disagree sister.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2005 at 4:02pm

Bismillah,

The female nurse practicioners whom I have seen can relate to my experiences on a more personal level, physically and emotionally, because they are female and have every time been mothers like me.

Have you heard of medical malpractice?  We need to be careful of the professionals qualifications and check them out.  Specifically, in actual practice some medical professionals who examine people are clumsy and inept.  Many aren't.  That's to the sandwich analogy.  It's sad that they spent so long in school but they aren't listening to the people they are supposed to be helping.  Now, many doctors are great.  They just aren't all great.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2005 at 4:33pm
As'Salaamu alaikum sister,

I understand your point now, but this doesn't really counter
anything what we've discussed before. Sure there are
individuals with all their schooling still commit malpractice but
those individuals are either fired or being sued. But this
example should be no contrast between the capabilities of a
man and woman in the medical field.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 2:29am

Bismillah,

Salaams,

As Lameese said she is very happy with her male doctor, so many people must be also.  It takes more effort for a man to relate to women's issues than a woman.  So it's really great if a man does this.

Just as I prefer a female doctor/nurse practitioner, I also prefer female friends.  When I see a doctor or nurse even just for a shot, we often talk about life issues, either personal or not, and I prefer to talk to a lady because she has more similar life experiences with me.

And many doctors are not sued for their misconduct.  This is shown by the fact that doctors who are sued often have new cases come up from many years earlier from patients who felt no one would believe them.  I was just reading about a case today in which a doctor in an emergency room conducted personal female examinations with a nurse present who is being sued by two patients from the same night's work.  (He was let go after one nights' work also.)

It just takes a minute for abuse to occur, and that's why I advocate researching a doctor's background and record before going to someone for personal examinations.  Especially if it's a man.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic