IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 11:14pm
Friendship, that is not a response to my post.  That is you going off on in tangent direction.  Earlier in this thread I was looking for someone to help me because I had heard that the Quran supposedly predicted the scientific discoveries of the modern era.  Truthseeker tried to help me with that in one very limited way but then ended up telling me that the Quran was only compatible with the scientific discoveries of the modern era which is not either surprising or profound.  
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

OK, lets see.  It looks like you now are backing off your earlier statements like "The main point here is that the Qur�an clearly refuted the stationary sun concept more than 1400 years ago." and "All translations clearly state that the sun is in motion. How was the Qur�an able to state it more than 1400 years ago without any advanced astronomical instrument of the modern science?"  Instead you are going with "the signs, revealed more than 14 centuries ago that contain no contradiction with the scientific facts of today."  You do realize that this is a big difference, right? 

I see no backing off here. My viewpoint becomes clear when you read all my previous posts in this thread, including the first two sentences of the very first post �First of all, it is important to understand the Qur�an is primarily the book of guidance. Yes, it also has many verses that conform to modern science.�

Yes, the Qur�an revealed more than 1400 years ago, contains no contradiction with many scientific facts discovered in our time. The sun was stationary in the heliocentric solar system, and the sun is in motion in the modern solar system, observed and proven by advanced astronomical instruments. That is just one example.  

For Muslims, knowing these facts and signs only enhances our faith that this book is the miraculous word of Allah.

And, behold, with every hardship comes ease:
Qur'an 94: 5
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 9:15pm
Assalamu alaika Schmikbob.

I am extremely delighted by your response. you want the truth and we shall certainly produce one for you.
Allah says: "let each one of you act according to his disposition." We must know what you have studied i.e. chemistry, physics, geography etc. Then we discuss. For example if I quote a verse indicating the functions of the kidney, or describing degenerative diseases, the placenta, chorion etc you may not be able to be convinced if you do not know physiology and obstetrics. For example, Allah says: he raised the heavens without pillars for one to see. What is Allah describing here? The gases in the atmosphere or what?
Friendship.

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:05am
Friendship, I too am delighted to find someone that perhaps will be able to provide what I seek.  Truthseeker seems able to only walk in the same well worn circle.   My "disposition" is one of seeking the truth and open-mindedness.  I'm not sure why "acting occording to my own dispostion" has to do with your needing to know my educational background but I see no harm in it as long as I also have the advantage of knowing your "disposition".  I have been well trained as an engineer and the nature of my degrees are such that I was also required to study such nonrelated topics as economics, history, and philosophy.  However, I reject the premise that without an extensive background in a particular field I would not be able to be "convinced".  As far as I have been able to tell, the Quran does not delve deeply into the sciences, at least not by modern standards.  I love your example also.  If someone said to me "he raised the heavens without pillars for one to see" I would think he meant the heavens or sky appear unsupported which of course they do.  I await your next example with great anticipation.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 3:07pm
Assalaamu alaika Schmikbob.

You posted: As far as I have been able to tell, the Quran does not delve deeply into the sciences, at least not by modern standards.
My Response: May Allah expand your heart to understand the continuity of the Old Testament as taught by Muhammad Rasulullah. You are perfectly right. The holy Qur'an does not delve deeply into the sciences for his opponents would have described him i.e. Muhammad Rasulullah as a super sorcerer, a magician and a deceit. Imagine Muhammad explaining sighting of the moon depending upon sun and moon's azimuth, declension, reflective index, angulation and telling them that the sun is 96million miles and the moon 448,000kms from the earth!
Sine you are an engineer, I have a common back ground with you for I studied Physics at advanced level in the British system. (We found it difficult to understand American authors in the University) I was taught about partition  co-efficient and immisibility constant of liquid. Qur'an 25:53 says, "It is He Who has let the two seas: this is palatable and sweet, and that is salt and bitter; and He has set a barrier and a complete partition between them." I saw this phenomenon during our physics experiment and we calculated the partition coefficient and immissibility constant. Now, Muhammad never mentioned anything close to what I learned in my advanced level studies. It was not his responsibility, but that of you and me. Now, I am a Physician. Qur'an 16:4 says, "He has created man from
 mixed drops of male and female sexual discharge. Muhammad Rasulullah did not tell or described the biochemistry and physiology of these discharges. I know them, but even if you know them, you have never analyzed sperm in a laboratory. so your knowledge is limited. I am not supposed to discuss that knowledge with you in order not to intimidate or provoke you, or dissuade you from belief. If the followers of Muhammad Rasulullah are sincere and sincerely want to propagate the continuity of the Old Testament, they would never restrict reading the holy Qur'an to them only. About 95% of the Ayat of the Qur'an are supposed to be read by all.
Friendship

Edited by Friendship - 29 September 2010 at 3:21pm
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:55pm
Friendship, thanks for the continueing dialogue.  You have included this quote in your latest effort to show me that the Quran has within it verses that predate modern scientific discoveries. "Qur'an 25:53 says, "It is He Who has let the two seas: this is palatable and sweet, and that is salt and bitter; and He has set a barrier and a complete partition between them.""  I am not sure this means anything more than a separation between two seas which could be as simple as the land between them.  You seem to be seeing much more and I'd surely like to know why.  You then state "I am not supposed to discuss that knowledge with you in order not to intimidate or provoke you, or dissuade you from belief".  You make it sound as though there is some organized group with secret knowledge and rules of order that must not be shared for fear of frightening off the unwashed masses.  To state that there is some information that can't be shared because I have not analyzed sperm in a laboratory is almost funny.  I would like to continue this dialogue but I'm afraid that unless you are able to be more forthright and avoid the dissembling it will be impossible.  I look forward to your thoughts on this
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 11:17pm
Assalamu alaikum.

Muhammad Rasulullah and his Sahabas established certain rules and guidelines for us. In the first instance we must respect the Children of Israel and not argue with them on what Allah revealed. One is required to know only that SIGN out of the billion SIGNS in the world that will make him understand Allah and follow HIM, because Allah addresses the living and not the dead. For example there are 6,200 verses (sentences) in the holy Qur'an. No one is required to know all of them to understand Allah. Just know one!
With regard to education there are many stages. For example at secondary level as a biologist, I began my practical lessons dissecting an earthworm. In the fifth year we dissected a rabbit. At Advanced level I dissected a dogfish and a frog. At University, I spent two years dissecting a cadever knowing details of every part of the body. In clinical years we began surgery by incising and draining abscess and then removal of lipoma. 
The verse I quoted meant what I told you as a physicist according to my understanding of relating Qur'an with the physical world.  Again this is a proof of the uniqueness of the teaching of Muhammad.
But you tend to disagree.You can check any authentic commentary of the Qur'an explaining the physical world. A Turkish Admiral in the 16th century according to my reference witnessed that phenomenon in the Persian Gulf. An American company drilling oil in Dhahran also observed that phenomenon.
Now, please ask NASA the meaning of this verse and its application in launching satellites:  O assembly of jinn and men! If you have power to pass beyond the zones of the heavens and the earth, then pass beyond (them)!. But you will never be able to pass them, except with authority (from Allah)! Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you deny? Definitely from this verse a physicist cannot deny the existence of Allah (God- that angry God according to the Old Testament who was provoked ten times by the Children of Israel in Egypt).
I am sorry that I cannot convince you of the existence of Allah nor can anyone believe in that without being rational. Imagine the mummified body of Pharaoh! If you want to understand Qur'an you must begin by understanding what Allah revealed in the Old Testament especially the Book of Genesis and Exodus.
Friendship.

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 8:17pm
Friendship, thank you for the dialogue.  However, anecdotal evidence about some 16th century Turkish admiral and an American oil company are not evidence to most people.  As far as NASA's opinion with regard to the Quran verse you sited I would say the verse does not offer any information beyond that of what was known in the middle of the last millenium.  I know, I know, you have some insight into the hidden meanings behind these verses that you can't share because I have not looked at sperm under a microscope.  It is apparent that I am going to have to look elsewhere if I going to get some insight into these Quranic verses that predict or predate the science of the last century.  You obviously do not intend to share your vast repository of hidden knowledge.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic