IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First Wife in Polygamy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Wife in Polygamy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 7:08am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

".....a faithful wife would not mind sharing her husband if he has all the requirements or conditions fulfilled...."

This implies a wife who would indeed mind, even if all requisites are met, isn't faithful, which is simply not correct - in my estimation. 

Yes I agree with you, Many a times, this happened and some marriages resulting in divorces.

What I mean by faithful here is Faithful to God. Remember Islam is Submission to Allah. If she remembers this and if she understands this simple meaning, she would find the experience more bearable or even satisfying.

Allahualaleem.
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

I can only say that this man is governed by his Nafs. (lust/passion/desire/ego). A man of strong faith, would not be kowtow to his Nafs.

But it happens, am I wrong? Or they marry a younger woman, when their first wife is getting old. It's not fair for the women, absolutely.

To your point of view as a non-Muslim, it is not fair. But in Islam or in general practice, the leader of the family who is to be responsible for the well being of the whole family is the husband. Letting another man sleeping with your wife, just shows your weakness as a man.

From my point of view, a woman who allows her husband to be with another woman doesn't love him, or doesn't value her common life. I may understand in case she is not happy with him, but this situation is not going to give her the happiness.

If my husband decides to be with another woman, that would mean I am not enough, as I already said, so, where is the point of staying together? Because of the children? A woman whose husband wants to marry another woman should give herself the chance of meeting another man who is giving her the value she has.

And the reason of infertility to get a new wife is not enough... what if it's the husband who cannot get children? Isn't she having the right of marrying a second man who can give her children? Allah, and our God, are wanting us to marry under their names to get children, so, what would it happen in a situation where the husband is sterile?

Originally posted by wrote:

You obviously had never met or know personally any man who had more than one wife. This attitude is similar to some non-Muslims who had never come across a Muslim but consider all Muslims as terrorists.

I have a 2nd cousin who is the first wife of a man and living under one roof with the second wife with their 5 children.

And alhamdulillah, both the wives are not working, only the husband is and yet their lifestyle is as normal as any other household.

The reason I would say is, their intention or their pledge to God is ILAHI ANTA MAKSUDI, wa REDHAKA MATLUBI - My God, You are my destination and Your pleasure is my intention.

Salam.

You are right, I've never met a man with two wives, but as I told you, I don't think it can work. Sure, if the wives are not working or having their own lives, just taking care of the children, the house and their husband, it may work, but only because they depend on him, not because they enjoy the situation.

The real value of the marriage is in the commitment of having their own single lives, and meeting to share it together.

Do you know any poligyny situation where all the wives are working outside and earning their own money? Do a independent and professional woman accept this situation?

Regards,
Patricia

No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 9:19am
You are right, I've never met a man with two wives, but as I told you, I don't think it can work. Sure, if the wives are not working or having their own lives, just taking care of the children, the house and their husband, it may work, but only because they depend on him, not because they enjoy the situation.

The real value of the marriage is in the commitment of having their own single lives, and meeting to share it together.

Do you know any poligyny situation where all the wives are working outside and earning their own money? Do a independent and professional woman accept this situation?

You talk about unfair or fair.. if a man has an older wife and desires another he can do what is in the west- just divorce her.. you cannot change the feelings. As you say why be with a man who wants another..

Polygyny is about a social structure. There are all types of polygynous marriages around the world. I studies anthropolgy in college.. and its about  the study of cultures and the vast differences.

I think you DO need to meet women in polygyny.. its like.. people all assume people are like me and want the same thing.. exactly the same. . and it just is not so.

The vast majority of the people on earth are probably dis-satisfied with their lives on SOME level. Many monoganmous marriages are like that.. like my sister or other people.  Its like we live for some 'idea' that does not happen, if it does it is rare.

Polygyny has been working just as long as monogamy. To say that women must NOT be happy if they ar ein polygyny is like saying no one can be happy in monogamy..

Gulliver, nowhere does it say that a man must love his wives equally. That is not anywhere in the Quran. He must provide for both his wives and spend equal time. (Unless a wife forfeits those rights by her choice) The affairs of the heart are a mystery.  And it is possible to love different people in different ways.

polygyny is one system to
a. provide for the people on the planet.. as there are more women then men. it is NOT feasible to people to say one man - one woman. Just is not. If in 95% of the world's places women outnumber men and they wish to marry, what should they do? Its like tough luck on them? Could be if polygyny was not an option.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 10:22am

Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

Tell me Chrys. I have already asked, and I respect if you choose not to answer.

I already replied to this K. My post is on the 1st page.

Are you married ? If not, have you had any kind of serious relationship with a man ? If you are not married, and one day were to marry, would you be happy to marry a man with more than one wife; and if so, why ? If not, why ?

I'm not married yet, and no romantic relationships of any sort either - since there is no room for romantic liasons outside of marriage in Islam.

Already explained my position on the matter in an earlier post, and like I said - making conjectures at this point is useless since at this very moment I may not like the idea of sharing a husband - yet 10 years down the road, my circumstances or ideals could change. So, empty words really.

I may be wrong. Islam does seem to allow for the polygamous marriage where there is real necessity. Women needing to be cared for 

Correct. If a man does not deal with all his wives equally - he can be held responsible under Shariah Law.

It also says that it should only be allowed where the man is capable of loving all the wives equally.  I don't mean to be offensive here. But from what I have read of Muhammad, even he could not achieve that particular feat.  Reading the incident about the honey. The little wifelets were a tad jealous of each other to say the least, not least Aisha.

No, where does it say you are supposed to 'love' all wives equally - since that is humanly impossible. Even parents dont love ALL children equally. There is always that special kid whom you are close to, for whatever reasons. However, justice and equity demand that all offspring still be treated equally.

Similary, when it comes to things that can be controlled - i.e. finances, time spent, gestures etc - a muslim man is supposed to give the same treatment to ALL his wives. He may be more emotionally attached to one, but matters of the heart cannot be controlled - but he cannot use that as a basis to openly declare his loyalty to one and ignore another - nor can he discriminate on that basis.

Speaking of Prophet Muhammad and his wives - he was VERY just and fair. He treated ALL his wives' equally. His wives were humans with human feelings and emotions. They had tiffs with the Prophet, would show thier displeasure, would show thier affection and would voice thier opinions. Hence, naturally there were incidents such as the one with the honey. The reason why such incidents took place were because Prophet Muhammad was supposed to give a message or moral to the story - since his life is supposed to be benchmark for Muslims. Within that one incident Allah relayed many messages/commandments to Muslims.

So, yes there were certain occasions when they would react in a certain way. These incidents do not mean the Prophet's household was full of jealousy etc. Why else would Sauda, an older wife of the Prophet insist to him that he spend more time with Aisha rather than her, since she was younger and needed more company?

If my earlier post does not answer your questions, I'd be happy to clarify.

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 June 2009 at 10:56am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 10:26am

"To say that women must NOT be happy if they ar ein polygyny is like saying no one can be happy in monogamy.. "

We can't speak in absolute terms, however it is safe, in my opinion, to generalize women's feelings with respect to sharing their husband.  Therefore, most are NOT happy.

Edited by abuayisha - 14 June 2009 at 12:49pm
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Pati Pati wrote:

But it happens, am I wrong? Or they marry a younger woman, when their first wife is getting old. It's not fair for the women, absolutely.

You are right Pati - it doesnt sound fair.

But is it polygamy that caused the man to fall in love with someone else? Or was it his own individual action? (Which is exactly why Islam sets certain limitations on male-female interactions, so such incidents do not take place). Doesnt this sort of thing happen in non-polygamous situations as well? What would happen in a non-polygamous situation? The man would simply leave/divorce his wife and marry the other. If any children involved, or the woman doesnt want to let go - too bad!

Islam tries to secure the woman's position in this case. That is, she could, if she wants - choose to remain in the marriage with her kids - and the husband could marry the other woman. Which, though not ideal - is still better than the other scenario.

If the woman does not wish to be in a polygamous situation - she can leave, and obtain a divorce. If her children are below puberty, she gets custody - and the husband provides for all thier expenses. If they are post-puberty, they get to choose whom to live with. In any case - whether it is Islam, or any secular society - nobody can force a man, who loves another, to remain married to someone he does not wish to.
If anything, Islamic Polygamy is providing a solution, and trying to provide an alternative to a wife who would otherwise definitely be divorced.

From my point of view, a woman who allows her husband to be with another woman doesn't love him, or doesn't value her common life. I may understand in case she is not happy with him, but this situation is not going to give her the happiness.

Perhaps it is important to reiterate: Islamic Polygamy is an exception - not the norm.

It depends on personal circumstances, emotions, decisions. Perhaps the woman does not love her husband, cannot provide the emotional/physical affection, hence has no problems with him marrying. Perhaps, she loves him, yet has no problem with him marrying, because she is not threatened. It all depends. Who are we to say what gives the couple happiness and what does not? We cannot stereotype women in polygamous marriages and say that they do not love thier husbands, or are unhappy, or are to be pitied etc. It all depens.l

Quote And the reason of infertility to get a new wife is not enough... what if it's the husband who cannot get children? Isn't she having the right of marrying a second man who can give her children? Allah, and our God, are wanting us to marry under their names to get children, so, what would it happen in a situation where the husband is sterile?

The woman can divorce and remarry some other man. Nothing prevents her from doing so. However, she cannot be married to more than one man at the same time. One can be emotional about it and say it is unfair - yet there is Divine Wisdom behind this. Due to obvious physiological/biological, psychological, social, financial reasons behind it that we can try to comprehend with our limited intelligence.

I gave an example in an earlier post - about a lady who is a 2nd wife. She is a professional, was controller of examinations in a renowned university. Currently she is studying abroad - her husband is financing her (though she has her own money). She is more involved in the life of the 1st wife's son than the latter lady - due to her experience and education.

Edited by Chrysalis - 14 June 2009 at 10:56am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 11:09am

�Gulliver, nowhere does it say that a man must love his wives equally. That is not anywhere in the Quran. He must provide for both his wives and spend equal time. (Unless a wife forfeits those rights by her choice) The affairs of the heart are a mystery.  And it is possible to love different people in different ways.�

I am beginning to see something here I had never noticed before, cause it never caught my attention or interest.  Marriage as �sacrament,� and �social contract�.  Interesting.

Yes, the affairs of the heart are a mystery as we all know Hayfa. We can love people in different ways. If society reached a point where there were not enough caring and loving heterosexual people. Would Islam allow homosexual persons the right to love, care for, and raise children ? Or would it be better for the dogs in the to street attempt that ?  Hypothetically speaking.

Again, I am talking about the �ideal� situation in this relationship business. Looking at it from different perspectives � albeit it very subjective ones for the most part.  In ALL freedom, what the woman might freely choose.  I can understand how in certain societies/cultures, the socio economic implications, and the survival of the species are core components in all of this � that being raised in those societies, women may indeed feel it is perfectly normal and fulfilling for them to live in polygamous relationships, and they may indeed be truly happy in them.

I did say, IF it works, and the woman is truly happy � every blessing to her, and her marriage and children.  I wonder though, if they could experience life outside those societies/cultures that they�d feel/want the same. East or West is irrelevant. I am not saying either that the socially constructed monogamous relationship is the ideal, or what will best make people happy. Though, at least some evidence does seem to suggest that children flourish best in a home with two parents, mother and father who are committed to and love each other. Maybe there is such research on polygamous relationships around the world too.

I am only giving perspectives on what I know myself as a human being, and have seen and known in others in various kinds of relationships.  Most people like the security, at all levels, of loving and being loved as a couple.  Not threesomes, foursomes or orgies.  Though there are a lot, men and women, who do fantasise about such things.

The times I have had to dish out bromide and slap butts with fresh nettles � the dirty bastes. You�d be shocked ;-)

Would you be happy with to be one of two or more wives, Hayfa ?

That�s really what I am interested in knowing. What each person here feels personally about this. Would you rather have a one to one loving relationship � one man and one woman. Or be one wife of two or more to one man ? IF there were no pressures/influences from society or religion.

It seems that Muhammad did truly love one woman for many years, his first wife. And from what I have read, it would seem that Aisha was his �favourite� wife after that. I can understand how he married other women for a variety of reasons, and accept that. What the intent was there � the greater good, saving women from lives as outcasts or being left destitute. 

What kinds of societies create such women in the first place though. I am NOT saying Islam did or does. Muhammad obviously made an attempt to change the status of women in this regard too � that they were not just property and concubines.

This is not a religious issue as far as I am concerned, here. It�s irrelevant whether I believe in God, or not. I am just wondering what the average human being, woman, or man, would like �ideal�ly.      And YES, Hayfa, we all know this world is far from ideal.  If a woman could support herself, be content in herself, and her relationship with God, would she need to become a second or third wife to some man at all.

�Polygyny provides a solution to some of life's problems. When there is a shortage of men, for example after a devastating war, many women will be unable to find husbands. Most women in that situation, given the option, would rather be a co-wife than no wife.  Interesting. 

http://www.angelfire.com/me/ummnurah/islam.html

Love your neighbour, as you love your self.

Love for your brother/sister what you love for your self.

From a purely religious perspective. If believing in God.

I don�t believe any human being satisfies us wholly anyway � or can do so, not indefinitely.  I have to agree with Augustine, �the heart is restless Oh God, till it rests only in You�.  Even the greatest love in this life it seems is just a taste, reflection, image of what the relationship with the Creator might be like in its fullness. It�s like these experiences can �point� us to that highest kind of relationship � where we relate with God every moment, at every level, every day � always.

IF a woman has that � what need has she of any man.  If they come lookin� any oul hanky panky � beat them out the door and buy them a blow up rubber doll for their birthday ;-) lol  I am gonna get barred.

I need to have a look at the Qu�ran to see what it does say on this matter, Hayfa. I am not doubting you at all. But to �meet the needs� of any human being, especially someone as close as a spouse � would imply meeting their deepest, corest need to be loved and cherished for who they are alone. Something �sacred� in that methinks.  Though again I may be wrong. These are just thoughts.  And NOT a criticism of Islam or any religion per se.  I keep battling for women �priests� in Catholicism ;-) lol   Those male �priests� couldn�t run a headless chicken coop, never mind a home, and even less a �church�.

Interesting thoughts folks. 

Will get back later Chrys.   Am outta time here.   My babies, all five zillion of 'em need feeding ;-)

No, I will get back to your post later.  Thank you for responding btw.  I really am on your side ladies.

All human beings are worthy of being treated with the highest, greatest, and deepest respect  - women and men. Whomever they are, wherever they be and whatever situations in which they find themsleves.   

Sorry, I did not mean to generalise on anything.  My approach here was, is intended to ask each of us what we have experienced/learned personally, or through interactions with others - on what it means to love and respect in ANY kind of relationship that is a marital one.

Chrys, me and you will head off on the Star Ship Enterprise to the Delta Quadrant next week, and find ourselves a honey from Species 34213412354325151  lol   Have you even seen Star Trek ? ;-)  BEAM ME UP SCOTTIE - this world is hell.  Too many creatures called human beings running rampant down here.   lol

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

What I mean by faithful here is Faithful to God. Remember Islam is Submission to Allah. If she remembers this and if she understands this simple meaning, she would find the experience more bearable or even satisfying.

Allahualaleem.

Just wanted to add - like AbuAisha did - that it is NOT   a religous requirement of the wife - nor a measure of her 'submission to Allah' to accept her husband's first marriage. Just like he has the right to marry, she has the right to voice her full displeasure, protest - and divorce if she wishes to.

Hadith (Sahih Bukhari) tell us of an incident when once Fatima (R.A) (daughter of Prophet Muhammad saw) heard rumours that her husband Ali was going to remarry. She was upset and went to her father to complain. Prophet Muhammad said to Ali, Fatima is a part of me, he who upsets her, upsets me. On hearing that Ali immediately put aside that idea, and Fatima (r.a) remained his only wife until her death.

So a lady has full right to voice her displeasure under such situations - and quitely submitting despite her unhappiness does not necessarily make her a better muslim and vice versa.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic