IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we shouldn’t ’do’ Hallowe’en  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why we shouldn’t ’do’ Hallowe’en

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 4:26am
Salaam,

ummziba is right you know. Maybe your just trying to conjure up humor or something, but at least the people in this forum don't actually believe in what your saying.
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 6:29am
yeah they believe professors (LOL) and other theorists....i guess their opinion counts more for them otherwise they would feel like sheep following someones opinions....lol
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 6:32am

you all such believers in the words of men...but why not mine? is it not bad enough? i guess i need to come up with some evil idea for you people to listen....something good? just throw it away for something evil...afterall something needs to be evil otherwise it is impossible to deal with it right? enough said

and nuff snuff.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 6:39pm
I think that all the hoopla about Halloween being dangerous is overrated. I mean come on people will ban halloween as evil but go see horrer movies, or movies with lots of sex, murder and violence. I know many of my muslim friends like shows like alias or CSI which center around violence. People who think things like Halloween will make kids stray from the right path are missing the bigger picture, most stray because of greed, lust, weakness and weak connections to thier families. I don't think my daughter dressing as a princess at preschool or my son dressing as spiderman at school will make a damned bit of difference in how they turn out, that is the least of my worries...
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 6:47pm
Salaam,

I can only speak for myself on this matter but-- in the discussion
of the American tradition of Halloween I only say that religiously
speaking (if you are observant I suppose) that historically, the
night of celebration (Halloween) relates to the pre-Christian
Celtic culture which sister Ummziba had noted. Of course as a
tradition in the states it is not commemorating the historical
aspect of Halloween but its importance on children and family
unity. I personally do not see nothing wrong with Halloween I
only stated why religiously it shouldn't be celebrated. But
personally I see nothing wrong with someone celebrating it if
you think wearing costumeds for one day out of the year i s
cool.

I don't think Halloween is evil of course, but its the opinions of
people who decided whether a holiday is bad or not. LOL look
at thanksgiving. Historians note that the Native Americans were
tricked by the early settlers and given diseased blankets rather
than what they teach children at grade school ye we still
celebrate it and its not considered evil. again this is a personal
matter.

BTW communtiy I'm still having trouble figuring out what you try
to say, please be more clear and elaborate rather respond in
opposition to someone elses post and not be clear on what
YOUR saying.

Edited by Israfil
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 8:34pm

I think you already understand Israfil, you mentioned the history of thanksgiving and that it started out as something bad(which we have no way of confirming except through the words of historians)

Why can't we not do the same for Halloween? i mean why stick to the bad in things instead of seeing the good in it and act upon that or atleast keep your mouth shut if what comes out of it is just negative and evil. Allah encompasses everything in His knowledge and wisdom.

As for it being a pagan festival....even if it is, does that mean all the people who celebrate it are pagans and evil? no, everything is according to their intentions. And if you just like to see a child happy with some candy in his or her basket i do not think there is anything wrong with that, do you?

Israfil, it basically comes down to this serious question, why do some people rather follow the bad in things then the good? why do people seek to oppose something instead of improving it through the good that is in it?

Would you lose anything if you accepted my explanation and theory about Halloween instead of the mainstream theory? I mean seriously why so focused on the bad instead of the good? like any of you have any proof that your claims are right except if you use the words of other people. So why cling to a bad theory?

Edited by Community
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2005 at 9:39pm
Community I now understand what you're saying! I believe what your expressing is that people tend to look at the historical aspect of holidays in the negative sense. I believe what you are referrring to are some people (even some Muslims) who look at the negative aspects of holidays in this matter Halloween and immediate call it "bad" because hisorically its pagan. Brother community of course, but you have to understand is that sister Ummziba is noting the Islamic perspective. She is not telling you what to do but giving her Islamic perspective on this matter. I have to say I agree with the sister on the religious basis of it. As I mentioned before I don't think you'll be a apagn because you send your kids to houses for candy. Her only intention is to remind us historically how Halloween shouldn't be spiritually celebrated. But I believe this also is in relation to us and how we too shouldn't really celebrate it.....
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2005 at 5:04am

Bismillah,

Right now this issue resonates in my heart because of Eed being this week also. 

Jenni, I think it's fine and completely your decision to have your kids dress up in such nice costumes at school. (I really have a thing against anything dark or evil looking ones though, but that's me.)

I don't allow horror films if I can help it.  (I've found them snuck in from friend's a time or two.)  I always kick out sexy films.  Violence in flims is something my kids' dad likes, and it's hard to get away from.  I'd rather not let them have any violent games or shows, but their dad is not opposed.  (He used to watch cops with them, and I hate that show.)

But now to the issue that burns my heart.  The kids took time to paint pumpkins, okay with me, except for the poor muslim kid who had to sit there and do nothing because his parents said so.  They should have taken him home for an hour or come to the classroom to check on him.  I know that the mom is not working and lives within walking distance.  I've tried to speak to them, but they haven't responded with more than a nod.

I got off topic.  Okay.  Eed.  Some years we've been lucky and it's been at the same time as another holiday and there was no problem.  This year my kids have taken time out of their instruction this week for Halloween activities, euphemistically called Fall Fun, all week with crazy hair day to wearing pajamas at school. 

But there is no allowance for Eed!  They treat it as a sick day, and the kids have to have the homework back the next day.  Tests are given as usual.  My kids have tests on Friday.  That means that we have to worry about them studying instead of having fun and visiting with muslim friends who live a bit too far away to travel to on a school night.

I emailed the principal briefly that Muslims have two holidays and they are not to be doing school work and tests during this time, nor are there to be any repurcussions.  That's just elementary school.  I still have to tackle high school, and my oldest won't even consider missing college.

I don't mind the little kid activities.  I do mind the euphemisms.  I do mind our holidays being ignored completely unless each parent visits the teacher and the principal.

(Yes, I am giving a presentation to the elementary school class, but Halloween week was taken up, so it has to be next week, after Eed!)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic