IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First Wife in Polygamy  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Wife in Polygamy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

I was wondering too.

If there are multiple wives and countless children. What about the emotional welfare of those children ? Again, I am not talking about Islam only, if at all here. Same in Christianity of varying denominations.

Where there are very large families, and the parents struggle to even feed them all, let alone anything else.  Will the father love the children, all of them, and all equally, as all children are deserving of being loved. 

We are all profoundly impacted by the love, or lack of it, from parents - mother and father.

Any of the ologists here can go off and do a study on the development of children in polygamous relationships.   There can be serious sibling rivalries when there is one mother and father. If there were many mothers, and the father did favour a wife and the child/children from that wife - that could have serious repercussions.   Be hair and nails flying everywhere.

I don't see why there would be any real difference between children in polygamist families and those in step-families, or other alternate lifestyles.

When parents divorce and remarry and step-siblings, half-siblings, etc come along the same questions and concerns arise. It all depends on the parents and how they handle the situation.

In fact, since the dfivorce rate and non-marital pregnancy rates are so high, especially in the U.S., I think statistically most children have more than one mother or father figure or share a father with multiple children, or are being raised by a grandparent or relative other than the birth parent.  
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2009 at 11:29am

Yes, I realise that and agree Shasta.  Talking about what religious texts may put forward as an 'ideal' for family life.  Love of spouses for each other, and parents for children; oh, and children for parents, of course.

Or if the texts talk about more than one husband, wife and children of those relationships.

Just brought to mind there - the whole thing with Abraham and Sarah, Hagar, and Ishmael and Isaac.  What was all that about, and what has it led to, even today - millenia later.

Whether we believe in God or not, we should be consistent in what we believe to be right/best for ourselves, knowing ourselves best, usually.

If I thought I'd be happier with one spouse, to love and be loved by one partner, and have children in that 'family' unit - loving all children equally - then believing in God, or following any religion should not alter that belief - cause me to be conflicted in any way.

Like everything else. There are objective, and subjective perspectives.

The world never was and never will be ideal though, as we know. So we have to do the best with what we have.  

I am really only thinking about people's ideals.  What, in an ideal world they would like for themselves.

Maybe if you were a woman in that kind of relationship, one wife of any given number, then you would only be said to truly love your husband and be secure in yourself, when you could accept and believe that you are loved as much as all the others.  That to truly love him is to love him enough to accept you are not the only wife, special and you are not the only one he wants, will have children with. That not being as 'evolved' as this would suggest the woman did not truly love her husband, was emotionally unstable and deeply insecure.

If I were one of the wifelets in that kind of setup, I'm afraid I'd have the sheep clippers out of a night and he'd not have to worry about fathering any childen again ;-) lol

I'd rather be on my own too - and keep my self respect.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 2:43am
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

I'd rather be on my own too - and keep my self respect.

Well that would be your personal choice, and to be respected. However I strongly disagree with the notion that women in polygamous marriages have no self-respect.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 4:22am

I did not say that women in these situations have no self respect. Self respect being something you give yourself. I cannot say that anyone has, or has not, got self respect.

I am talking, as you rightly point out, about individual choice; the real freedom to choose. If women are really free to choose, and for whatever reasons, religious/socio economic, choose to be one of a number of wives to one man.  

Maybe they are perfectly happy that the choice offered through the patriarchal/religious society by a big hearted, loving man - to be one of his wives -  is what truly gives a sense of self worth, self respect, and they are truly happy with that. That is good and would seem to be  perfectly OK. What makes any man or woman happy, allows them to have a real sense of self respect. It is so much an individual thing.

I have spoken to people in 'open style' relationships and they are not as happy as they might otherwise be, claim to truly be.

Maybe you know, have family in these kinds of relationships who are happy. Good for them and long may it last.  A marriage of two people can have as many problems of course. It's hard work.

Tell me Chrys. I have already asked, and I respect if you choose not to answer.

Are you married ? If not, have you had any kind of serious relationship with a man ? If you are not married, and one day were to marry, would you be happy to marry a man with more than one wife; and if so, why ? If not, why ?

I'd like to know your own views on this matter. What you believe would work, or not, for you.

I may be wrong. Islam does seem to allow for the polygamous marriage where there is real necessity. Women needing to be cared for etc etc where there are too many women and not enough men, or as the 'booty' in wars.  I don't see it suggest multiple husbands for one wife if there is a shortage of women.

It also says that it should only be allowed where the man is capable of loving all the wives equally.  I don't mean to be offensive here. But from what I have read of Muhammad, even he could not achieve that particular feat.  Reading the incident about the honey. The little wifelets were a tad jealous of each other to say the least, not least Aisha.

Anyway - if you care to answer Chrys.  Would you be happy to be married to a man, a man you truly loved, as one of his wives ? OR, given the choice, 'idea'lly be his only wife ?
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 6:20am
Salam.

Most importantly, we have to understand what is Islam. Islam means submission to Allah, The Creator of the Whole Universe.

The Creator knows what is good and what is bad for us human beings. Polygyny for men is allowed, while for women is prohibited. If it is allowed in women, then there is no difference between a wife and a prostitute. In times of war, population could be recovered fast with polygyny.

The most important aspect of polygyny in Islam is the iman or the faith of the persons involved. The basic question is why marry again? If the reason is valid, like for example there is no children in the first marriage, a faithful wife would not mind sharing her husband if he has all the requirements or conditions fulfilled, like being just in every aspects of life.

A man of faith who understands the meaning of God's love, who understands what is true love, would not ever try to hurt his wife's feelings in resorting to polygyny without any reason whatsoever.

Allahulaleem..God knows Best!
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 6:40am
Hi Nur_Ilahi,

What about the love as reason? What if the husband knows another woman, more beautiful, more intelligent, and he falled in love with her? Is it a reason to marry a second woman?

And I don't think that if a woman is having two husbands, she is like a prostutite. I just think that it's not fair. I could think that a man with two wives is a vicious person... OK, he is married with both, but I think that one woman is enough for each man, and if it wasn't, it's just because she is not the right woman, or he is not the right man.

No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 7:01am
".....a faithful wife would not mind sharing her husband if he has all the requirements or conditions fulfilled...."

This implies a wife who would indeed mind, even if all requisites are met, isn't faithful, which is simply not correct - in my estimation. 
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2009 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Pati Pati wrote:

Hi Nur_Ilahi,

What about the love as reason? What if the husband knows another woman, more beautiful, more intelligent, and he falled in love with her? Is it a reason to marry a second woman?

I can only say that this man is governed by his Nafs. (lust/passion/desire/ego). A man of strong faith, would not be kowtow to his Nafs.

Originally posted by wrote:

And I don't think that if a woman is having two husbands, she is like a prostutite. I just think that it's not fair.

To your point of view as a non-Muslim, it is not fair. But in Islam or in general practice, the leader of the family who is to be responsible for the well being of the whole family is the husband. Letting another man sleeping with your wife, just shows your weakness as a man.

Originally posted by wrote:

I could think that a man with two wives is a vicious person... OK, he is married with both, but I think that one woman is enough for each man, and if it wasn't, it's just because she is not the right woman, or he is not the right man.

You obviously had never met or know personally any man who had more than one wife. This attitude is similar to some non-Muslims who had never come across a Muslim but consider all Muslims as terrorists.

I have a 2nd cousin who is the first wife of a man and living under one roof with the second wife with their 5 children.

And alhamdulillah, both the wives are not working, only the husband is and yet their lifestyle is as normal as any other household.

The reason I would say is, their intention or their pledge to God is ILAHI ANTA MAKSUDI, wa REDHAKA MATLUBI - My God, You are my destination and Your pleasure is my intention.

Salam.

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 14 June 2009 at 7:10am
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic