IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ask an Atheist  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsk an Atheist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
Author
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 7:42am

Hi Diagoras, speaking a Christian, I would say try focusing on the prophecies of the end times.    Read Revelation 13 first.   Then Daniel 7.    It is only two short chapters, but it will keep your interest.   It would be a step of faith... to prove me wrong of course.   See where it takes you.

Israfil:

Diagoras: Funny the title (which is quite misleading) says, "ask an atheist" yet we are discussing the fundamentals of variants within atheism.

Diagoras: I am not making a claim, I am expressing skepticism towards the claim that you make.

Israfil: Wrong! Atheism regardless whether classified as weak or strong is specifying a denial claim of the existence of a metaphysical deity. You are in the sense, of the construction of your sentences denying the existence of God through the reasoning by using Russell's Teapot. If you deny the existence of God just say you do, do say "well I'm critiquing your view" we have not made any personal claims YOU are the one constructing a thread and  have suggested conversation. Meaningm you came to us with this inquiry we didn't come to you. You are using religion as though we opened our mouths and made claims of thus and so. I have to agree with Andalus stop hiding behind links that is not good scholarship at all.

Diagoras: Also, the concept of God is not a naturalistic one, it has much more in common with the Invisible Pink Unicorn.

Israfil: You are in the above equating God with mythical creatures presupposing the irrational belief of their existence? I'm not sure why you keep making up these examples and although they are relevant here in discussion I can say they may exist. According to some thinkers our ideas whatever they are exist in potentiality, dormant, and although currently non-existent, they do in fact exist somewhere.

Diagoras View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 5:39pm
Sorry for the delay, but school is killing me. I'll reply as soon as I get the chance.

And I thought this thread was dead.
A proud constitutional democratic republican.

The board's friendly neighborhood atheist.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 6:41pm

Diagoras:

1.You're either joking or a troll. I can't believe people like this actually exist, but I unfortunately have evidence of them shoved before my eyes.

2. It's not that I believe in something, it's that I don't believe in something.

Okay, I had previously asked about the boundaries of belief. What would make the atheist believe?  Please define the requirements of belief. Here we may consider two sentences.

1. I don't believe there is God.

2. I believe there is no God.

They actually mean one and the same thing. But will diagoras please explain which sentence he would prefer? Please chose any one of the two.

Diagoras does not believe there is GOD. FOR WHATEVER REASON, There is no God in the belief of Diagoras, My question is : Does Diagoras believe in anything at all?? Does he believe in himself? Or we have to prove his existence to him too? Please answer the questions as asked, one by one. Does Diagoras believe in abstract things and to what extent? Does he believe in the feelings? Does he believe in the material things only?

No offence. These are very simple questions and may help us to come to some conclusion. Thanks.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 7:29pm

I've been watching this discussion, although I haven't had a chance to read it from the beginning.  I wonder if I could pinch-hit for Diagoras while he catches up on schoolwork?

Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

You are then ignorant of thiestic arguments for a particualr God? Not acepting the evidence is not the same as not being any evidence.

I've certainly seen a great many theistic arguments for the existence of God, but none that hold any water.  Maybe instead of accusing others of intellectual laziness, you could put forth such an argument yourself.

Quote There is no however. I just gave you an example and you just tried to deflect. Nice. There is no water composed of carbon dioxide. That is a universal, negative claim that can be proven based upon essential elements of water and carbon dioxide. It is that simple. You are once again being dishonest.

There is no water composed of carbon dioxide, by definition.  It doesn't require evidence.

Quote Why don't you believe in magical, invisible leprechauns? You must have "faith" in the non-existence of leprechauns.

false analogy. no one is talking about unicorns.

Not unicorns, leprechauns.  And why is it a false analogy?  Why are gods any more or less probable than unicorns or leprechauns?

Quote I find it interesting that you cannot give me any good reason why athiesm is nessecarily true.

I'm not sure what Diagoras would say, but my answer boils down to Occam's Razor.  Given the choice among Allah, the Christian God, the Jewish God, the Mormons, the Hindu, Greek and Roman pantheons, and all the rest, versus the assumption that there is no God/gods, it just seems to me that the last hypothesis is the simplest and most plausible.  That's not exactly a proof, but I've never come across a better one.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 7:31pm

Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

What would make the atheist believe?  Please define the requirements of belief.

That's easy: evidence.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I've been watching this discussion, although I haven't had a chance to read it from the beginning.  I wonder if I could pinch-hit for Diagoras while he catches up on schoolwork?

Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

You are then ignorant of thiestic arguments for a particualr God? Not acepting the evidence is not the same as not being any evidence.

I've certainly seen a great many theistic arguments for the existence of God, but none that hold any water.  Maybe instead of accusing others of intellectual laziness, you could put forth such an argument yourself.

It was not an accusation. It is a fact based upon the thread. I did not create the thread. He did. If you start a thread about a particular topic, you should be prepared. His thread was disengenuous, or possibly "deceptive". Please read the entire thread before attempting to "come to someones defence". As far as theological arguments, if you are up on them, then you can start a new thread as an atheist and argue why athiesm is necessarily true and theism is necessarily false.

Quote There is no however. I just gave you an example and you just tried to deflect. Nice. There is no water composed of carbon dioxide. That is a universal, negative claim that can be proven based upon essential elements of water and carbon dioxide. It is that simple. You are once again being dishonest.

There is no water composed of carbon dioxide, by definition.  It doesn't require evidence.

by "definition" because it is based upon the "attributes", or essential elememts of water and carbon dioxide. It is a universal negative statement. By "definition" does not make not a universal negative statement.

Quote Why don't you believe in magical, invisible leprechauns? You must have "faith" in the non-existence of leprechauns.

false analogy. no one is talking about unicorns.

Not unicorns, leprechauns.  And why is it a false analogy?  Why are gods any more or less probable than unicorns or leprechauns?

false analogy

A false analogy is an unjustified inference drawn on the basis of similarities between two items or types of items. The justification of an inference based on analogical reasoning depends on the number and strength of known similarities and dissimilarities of the items being compared. If there are very few known similarities or if there are a few known very great dissimilarities, then drawing inferences based on the comparison is unjustified. The result is a false analogy.

http://skepdic.com/falseanalogy.html

What good reason would someone necessarily believe that unicorns or any of the other rediculous aburdities must be true.

Quote I find it interesting that you cannot give me any good reason why athiesm is nessecarily true.

I'm not sure what Diagoras would say, but my answer boils down to Occam's Razor.  Given the choice among Allah, the Christian God, the Jewish God, the Mormons, the Hindu, Greek and Roman pantheons, and all the rest, versus the assumption that there is no God/gods, it just seems to me that the last hypothesis is the simplest and most plausible.  That's not exactly a proof, but I've never come across a better one.

Your right, far from a proof. Since we are not talking about God in general, but a particular God. Your choice of occam's razor is irrational given that you have already accepted your premise without proof.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

What would make the atheist believe?  Please define the requirements of belief.

That's easy: evidence.

That was not a befitting reply. Now the details of the evidence will be required. The nature and scope of evidence will be required. We will forget about belief for a short time and get after the nature of the evidence. But the demand for belief will still stand because i can come back to that again.

If the matter is understood then please elaborate and discuss the nature of the evidence that will satisfy the atheists.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 1:37am
Ron Webb sometimes Occam's Razor is not always plausible in all instances. Can you prove anti-matter exists physically? Can you prove multiple universes exist physically? Sure you can with scientific evidence using instruments but assuming you have no knowledge of this can you prove it? Sometimes explaining concepts the simplest explanation may not be the best answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
  Share Topic