IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slavery  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slavery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 7:08am

If I understand you correctly, Arab, you are saying that "slaves" don't exist in Islam, only "servants".  Therefore, the women referred to in the Koran as "what your right hand possesses" are really servants.  But the Koran clearly states that muslim males are allowed to have sex with "what your right hand possesses", even if the women are married to other men.  Therefore, you are claiming that Muslim males are allowed to have sex with other mens wives (so long as the wives are servants of the Muslim who is committing adultery).  Correct?

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 7:25am

Gentlemen,

God made men and men made slaves. It was therefore the job of man to eradicate slavery.

We thus do not find the Lord Almighty abolishing slavery, which was right there from the beginning of the Genesis, through the times of Moses and even Jesus had no comments, while Muhammad did teach after reading Qur'aan that slaves should be treated well.

The only example when the Lord Almighty really came to rescue the slaves was when the Hebrews were rescued and led by Moses out of Egypt. The 400 years of Hebrews' slavery were the worst of it's kind in any ancient civilisations.

There are various types of slavery:

Maintaining man-servant and maid-servants who lived with the master and were fully cared for.

Slaves who were bought from other men. It was not necessary that the sold man had to be a slave.

Excellent Examples: Exodus 21 "These are the laws you are to set before them" and the Lord Almighty is ordering the following:

2"If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years.....4If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free."

7"If a man sells his daughter as a servant............."

20"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, (my comment: punishment not described), 21but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

22:2"A thief must certainly make restitution, but if he has nothing, he must be sold to pay for his theft."

We do not have much from Jesus on slavery but Paul has this to say: Ephesians 5:5 titled Slaves and Masters.

5:5"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear them with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.............."and 5:9 reminds the masters to treat the slaves well.

This slavery is different from the famous Slave trade of people from Africa to other parts of the world in the modern times.

Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad were slaves of God and they can also be called servants of God.

The Japanese have the best form of slavery but that is not bad at all. Every Japanese works and dies for a Toyota, Mazda or Nissan or Mitsubishi.

Edited by bmzsp
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 9:12am
First off everyone stop using the word "Slavery" because it has a negative connotation to it, rather let us use indentured servitude. But also, for the member named "Arab" let us not assume that all of those that were in captivity were treated with fairness and righteousness just because it commands us to do so in the Qur'an either. I'm sure many slaves from neighboring tribes including Black Slaves from the Eastern Parts of Africa were not treated fairly either. Remember not everyone in the Prophet's time were in his presence.
sgeorge5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgeorge5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 11:01am

There seems to be a pattern that I am detecting.  When ever I confront Muslims, here and else where, about the verses in the Koran, there is, usually, a denial that such verses exist and that religious leaders all reject slavery.  But when I point out the verses in the Koran and support today by Imams for slavery, the attitude shifts to either slavery really isn�t that bad or that is not really slavery.  It should be pointed out that the word used in the Koran is SLAVERY and �those that the right hand possesses.�  When confronted with evidence, there seems to be a fear of critizing those slavery verses in the Koran or the support of slavery spoken by Imams.  I will assume that the fear is justified.

Back when Zia was the dictator of Pakistan, I made my first trip to a Muslim country, Pakistan.  The first morning there, I was having breakfast in a five star hotel in Islamabad with my Pakistani host.  After a few minutes he started to apologize for something and I did not understand what he was talking about.  He was talking about the prevalence of slavery in Pakistan and pointed to a nearby table where a well to do Muslim family was eating.  There was a father, wife, two children, a boy and girl about 6 or 7 years old, all seated and hanging on to the fathers chair was a girl, about 12 years old.  She was wearing a nice dress, but had no shoes and no place to sit.  My host explained that she was a child slave.  I was so shocked that I did nothing.  This was, only, the first time I was confronted with �in your face� slavery in a Muslim country.  Each time I did not know what to do, being in a foreign culture.  And each time I came away felling that I had done something morally bad because of my inaction.  So I ask you, what should I have done?  Reporting it to the police would have accomplished nothing.  They do not view it as a crime, similar to the free killings of homosexuals and atheists.

In Pakistan, today, the going price for a child slave is $1000 US.   I have read the claim that only Christian children are stolen for the slave trade, but that is not correct.  There are not enough Christian children to supply the market.  I know numerous middle class Muslim families that hire armed guards to watch over their children.  A lot of the children end up in the carpet trade, chained or shackled to a loom.  But they can be found every where, even in a five star hotel.

Back in the early 1960�s, Algeria became independent and one of their first acts was to outlaw slavery.  It was so prevalent that a law had to be passed to ban the practice.  It seems to have worked in Algeria.  The French never were that concerned about Muslim slavery, but the British were concerned.  One of the main reasons for the British to move inland from the coast of Africa was to eliminate slavery.  Historically, the Muslims were operating out of the Sudan for Egyptian merchants.  The harvesting of slaves from the Sudan has been going on for over a thousand years and exceeds, by several orders of magnitude, the major harvesting of slaves by the Portuguese from Angola to ship to Brazil.  General Gordon; a.k.a., Chinese Gordon and Gordon of Khartoum, back in the 1800�s, was appalled by the slaving operations being conducted by the Madie (sp?), particularly the castration of all of the male captives.  Unlike me, he did something, better leadership qualities, I guess.  Out of nothing, he formed an army and fought the Madie.  The British were a little late in coming to his rescue.  The British were able to retard the slave operations, but it was never eliminated.  Today the going price of a child slave is less than $100 US.  This is due to the genocide being practiced by Sudan.

I would like to point out that no Muslim country or Muslim organization has protested this genocide, but they have protested some Danish cartoons!  Who knew so many Muslims read Danish.  Today as in the past, all of the slaves coming out of the Sudan are black and I assume that they are Christians.  Males are no longer castrated.  The only sexual mutilation being practiced is on females.

Sid

sgeorge5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgeorge5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 3:29pm

Will someone explain to me why Salvery is an inter-faith subject?

Sid

Arab View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 3:58pm
I dont think you could have done something sgeorge. Maybe you could have tried to buy her from her and set her free but I dont think he would have agreed and I dont think you would have found her family. But having children slaves is wrong, very very wrong. And no the Quran never uses the word slaves it says what your right hand posesses.
Wulfzburg View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wulfzburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 4:00pm

Salaam Aleikum to the friendly Muslims in this forum and thread.

Amazing how one can follow their agenda. These socalled interested people in Islam are so two-faced and with their tactics and doublestandards always wasts the time of the Muslims.

A kind brother is spending the time and going a long way to explain how the Ayaat of Allah are to be understood.

And in the end of the thread about ayah 93 in some surah the "saint" reveals his motives.

Which were to create doubt with the faith of the Muslims, to market his own disbelief in God, to test his text-book tactics on Muslims learned from his Catholic church, who are paying high price because somebody lifted the curtain from the priests' inner secrets...

Muslims wake! The socalled reformation they want is to draw you nearer doubt about your Creator and to occupy your precious time. 

USE IT INSTEAD TO READ QURAAN AND ITS SCIENCES INSTEAD OF ENGAGING IN FUTILE DISCUSSIONS AND LEARN THIS TO MUSLIMS AND MAKE ARRANGEMENTS AND OPEN-HOUSE DAYS IN YOUR CENTRES. HAVE REAL DIALOGUES WITH REAL HUMANBEINGS, WHERE THEIR FACES CAN BE SEEN AND YOU WILL SEE THEIR ENLIGHTENMENT AND HAPPINESS TO KNOW THE TRUE MESSAGE GIVEN IN THE LAST TESTAMENT -> THE QURAAN. 

The smell of a person with a bad intention can be smelled from a long distance. Muslims I urge you to purify your heart and you will be enlightened with a sharp intuition.

Peace and blessings to all muslims and guidance to the rest.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 4:58pm
How is slavery genocide?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic